Recommended Yamaha Aventage receiver for my Definitive BP9080X speakers

J

James Astro

Audiophyte
Hey Folks,

I'm getting ready to buy a Yamaha Aventage receiver that will drive these speakers:
- 2 Definitive BP9080x fronts
- 1 Definitive CS9080 center
- 2 Definitive SR9080 surrounds
- 2 Atmos height speakers (built into the tops of each front speaker)

The Yamaha Aventage receivers that I'm considering are all similar, and they all have the required features to run my system. However, they vary in watts per channel:
- Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080, 110 watts
- Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080, 140 watts
- Yamaha Aventage RX-A3080, 150 watts

My Definitive speakers are fairly senstive (92 dB). Do you think the RX-A1080 would drive them well enough, or should I get a more expensive model?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, when your speakers have built-in powered subs, they shouldn't need too much power.

I used to own the Def Tech BP7000SC for fronts, CLR3000 for center, and BP7001SC towers for surrounds. I used a $500 50WPC x 5Ch AVR to power all 5 speakers. They don't need much power since they have built-in subs. :D

I think the main question is, do you have any plans to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX and add 2 or 4 ceiling speakers, or is 5.1 the max?

If just 5.1, I do think the A1080 is good enough for your speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sound & Vision, 1% THD Power output x 2Ch 8 ohms & 4 ohms
Yamaha 3000s: 186W/294W
Yamaha 2000s: 192W/260W
Yamaha 1000s: 129W/173W

J

James Astro

Audiophyte
I think the main question is, do you have any plans to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX and add 2 or 4 ceiling speakers, or is 5.1 the max?

If just 5.1, I do think the A1080 is good enough for your speakers.
Actually, I'm already running Atmos. Each front speaker has an Atmos module built-in to the top of the speaker , and they reflect sound off the ceiling. The Atmos speakers are pretty small though. I doubt they use much power.

J

James Astro

Audiophyte
Sound & Vision, 1% THD Power output x 2Ch 8 ohms & 4 ohms
Yamaha 3000s: 186W/294W
Yamaha 2000s: 192W/260W
Yamaha 1000s: 129W/173W
Thanks for the information. :) Although I'm a bit of a newbie, so I don't quite understand that the numbers mean. I have 8 ohm speakers, so does that mean the Yamaha 1080 will output up to 129W per speaker? And if so...is that adequate?

S

sakete

Audioholic
Thanks for the information. :) Although I'm a bit of a newbie, so I don't quite understand that the numbers mean. I have 8 ohm speakers, so does that mean the Yamaha 1080 will output up to 129W per speaker? And if so...is that adequate?
It's up to 192W per speaker, with only 2 channels driven. The more speakers you drive, the more that power rating drops as it's all coming from the same amp section. And more than adequate unless you have ridiculously high volume requirements (that would be beyond ear bleeding levels).

J

James Astro

Audiophyte
It's up to 192W per speaker, with only 2 channels driven. The more speakers you drive, the more that power rating drops as it's all coming from the same amp section. And more than adequate unless you have ridiculously high volume requirements (that would be beyond ear bleeding levels).
Just to clarify, are you saying the Yamaha 1080 would output 192W per speaker? From the table posted earlier, it looks like the number would be 129W.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Just to clarify, are you saying the Yamaha 1080 would output 192W per speaker? From the table posted earlier, it looks like the number would be 129W.
My mistake, I thought you were referring to the 2080.

J

James Astro

Audiophyte
My mistake, I thought you were referring to the 2080.
No problem. There are lots of numbers being thrown around in this thread. :)

So, do you think 129W per channel would be good enough for most people? I enjoy loud movies, but not ear-bleeding loud.

S

sakete

Audioholic
No problem. There are lots of numbers being thrown around in this thread. :)

So, do you think 129W per channel would be good enough for most people? I enjoy loud movies, but not ear-bleeding loud.
Yeah, it's probably fine.

Keep in mind though that it's 129W for 2 channels at rated distortion. If you're driving more than 2 channels, at the same time, the power output will drop.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, I'm already running Atmos. Each front speaker has an Atmos module built-in to the top of the speaker , and they reflect sound off the ceiling. The Atmos speakers are pretty small though. I doubt they use much power.

FWIW small does not necessarily mean they use less power, usually the other way around due Hoffman's Iron Law. DefTec doesn't supply much info about the module other than a 1" tweeter and 4.5" midwoofer, tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The A1080 can output up to 129W continuously into 8 ohms at 1% THD with 2Ch simultaneously.

The A1080 should be fine powering your speakers.

Yamaha puts more protection circuits on their AVRs. This causes their ACD (5Ch, 7Ch) power to be lower than other brands.

So the ACD power just shows us how stringent the protection circuits are.

1. In the real world, we don’t have to worry about powering more than 2 or 3 speakers simultaneously (also known as All Channels Driven or ACD).

2. The subs/woofers require most of the power. The midrange and tweeter require significantly less power. Many tweeters would break if 100W or even 50W were to continuously heating them.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as channels on each model:

1080 is up to 7.2 or 5.2.2

2080 is up to 7.2.2 or 5.2.4

3080 is up to 7.2.4 processing but requires external amp for 2 of those channels (using internal amp only is up to 7.2.2 or 5.2.4)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would go 2070 if you can find it on sale instead of 2080 because they are almost identical in features. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis