Recommended $200'ish Polk Audio bookshelf speakers?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I would raise the budget and get these:

JBL LSR2325P | Sweetwater.com

Your games will come to life..

since they're powered, and it seems you only need 2.0, you won't need a receiver, just plug directly into TV or computer.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Happens all the time on AH.

"What's the best I can do on x budget?"

"Double it!"

No matter what the budget is, you should always double it ;)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Keep in mind he already has a a receiver.

One with no preouts.

So there's literally no way he could hook active monitors up.

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
My receiver has only 1 pre out which I'm using for the sub.

I'm pretty much set on either the S30 or A26's. As mentioned, I have almost no experience modern speakers so for now, I don't feel it's worth going with a more pricy upgrade when I have no idea what I'm buying or what kind of sound I prefer.

I actually did a little sound testing last night and turns out my left floorstanding Infinity is way more broken than I thought. Aside from the tweeter slightly going out, the entire speaker is much quieter so hopefully I'll be able to make a decision soon.

I'm mostly going with the two mentioned speakers based on the good amount of feedback they had from other forum posts. Chances are I'll go with the S30's though.

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
We use Polk T15 bookshelf speakers in 4 zones in our house and like them. They sound good. Would probably make a good inexpensive surround. Don't get me wrong we also use Difinitive and getting ready to install some inwall James loudspeakers. Hope you find what you need.

I

ifsixwasnin9

Junior Audioholic
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm looking for bookshelves with highs that are not harsh and a balanced, detailed speaker. I listen at low-moderate levels (60s/70s rock). I'm not looking to blow out windows, I'm looking for a good musical experience and on a tight budget (I'm on disability).

I've had a lot of floorstanders and I just bought Infinity RS2000.3 which are unbearable - big sound and can fill up a room but very harsh highs, boomy mids and tweeter imaging is odd.

Wondering if any vintage Wharfedale, KEF, Polk or others might fit my criteria?

This is what I've owned starting with preference -

Infinity 7
Infinity 8 - (I7 tweeters much more realistic)
Polk Monitor 10 - (lack some detail)
B&W DM603v3 - (Very refined/tame bass, vocals a tad unrealistic)
B&W P4 - (weak imaging, tame sound, 4 ohms)
Klipsch Towers (basic low budget, 1990's)
AR Towers (basic low budget, 1990's)
JBL L100 - (not balanced)
Polk Monitor 5 - (not balanced, bright)
Dynaco A25

fyi: Best sound I've had is my car audio: ADS comps (non-fatiguing silk tweeters, very realistic sound & balanced)

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm looking for bookshelves with highs that are not harsh and a balanced, detailed speaker. I listen at low-moderate levels (60s/70s rock). I'm not looking to blow out windows, I'm looking for a good musical experience and on a tight budget (I'm on disability).
What is the max budget?

I

ifsixwasnin9

Junior Audioholic
There's a lot of vintage and newer stuff on ebay for less than $150. I had more money several yrs ago and bought $600-$800 B&W, Infinity, etc. but now looking for something smaller, non-fatiguing treble, decent imaging, no thunderous bass. Any vintage British speakers I should look into? (Also saving up for expensive classical guitar so that takes priority.)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Any vintage British speakers I should look into? (Also saving up for expensive classical guitar so that takes priority.)
While there are no guarantees - on the British side, I would look into
Wharfedale, Celestion and KEF.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis