Recommendations with $2,000-$3,000 budget?

R

rdalcanto

Enthusiast
New member here. I'm looking for new front and center speakers for my home theater. It is used mainly for TV and movies, but some music as well. I have a good sub, so great base from the speakers is not necessary. Thinking about NHT Absolute Towers based on reviews, but woofers in center speaker seem too small to me and worried about trying them. I would love recommendations. Thanks!

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Welcome to the forum. I definately recommend checking out Ascend.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
JBL Studio 580
Amazon.com: JBL Studio 580 Dual 6.5-Inch Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Each): Electronics

JBL Studio 520
Amazon.com: JBL Studio 520CBK 2-Way Dual 4-Inch Center Channel Speaker: Electronics

You would be surprised what some so-called smaller woofers can do - it is more than
what the eyes can see - post #15076, and it is being used with their largest towers,
plus others have not complained.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/866797/the-official-jbl-owners-thread/15060#post_24669009

Look at the size of the surrounds on the woofers

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
New member here. I'm looking for new front and center speakers for my home theater. It is used mainly for TV and movies, but some music as well. I have a good sub, so great base from the speakers is not necessary. Thinking about NHT Absolute Towers based on reviews, but woofers in center speaker seem too small to me and worried about trying them. I would love recommendations. Thanks!
Welcome to AH! I haven't heard the NHT Absolute Towers, but I've known other NHT speakers in the past, and I like them. For many years I had an older NHT SuperCenter speaker in my system. I think several of their present line of speakers have been favorably reviewed.

Apparently, the same 5¼" woofers in the Towers are also used in the Absolute Center. The Towers are rated as low as 58 Hz, and the Center is said to go down to 80 Hz. Those claims don't seem exaggerated or unbelievable. Remember that the main role of the center channel speaker is voices in movie sound track dialog.

With a subwoofer operating at 80 or 100 Hz and below, I don't see any reason to believe those 5¼" woofers are too small or inadequate.

You should try to find a way to listen to them. Two Towers and the Center, at about $1430, would be well within your budget.

If you must spend more than that, I recommend Salk SongTowers and Salk SongCenter. At $2800, that will max your budget out :D.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower and Horizon Center.
Philharmonic Audio "Slim" tower and center.
Salk Sound SongTower and center.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower and Horizon Center.
Philharmonic Audio "Slim" tower and center.
Salk Sound SongTower and center.
I completely forgot about the Philharmonic Audio options, the Philharmonic Slim Jr. Tower and the Philharmonic Center. They also cost $2800 for the set of three. The designer of these speakers is the same person who designed the Salk speakers I mentioned above. They all share a similar overall "voicing".

I know less about the Ascend Acoustics speakers, but I've heard only good things about them.

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
I had a very similar budget (for the front three) and looked into both Ascends and Salks. I ended up going with the Salks because of the custom cabinet work and amazing reviews. I'm looking into the philharmonitors for a separate room due to positive reviews.

My suggestion is the email Jim and Dave at Salk and Ascend. They are both very easy to deal with and patient with questions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
NHT has a 30-day free trial, so you could always return them if they don't sound great.

I would not be too caught up with woofer sizes.

But if those woofers bother you, then there are alternatives.

I recommend the RBH SX Signature series: SX-6300 Towers + SX-661C Center.

Tower: RBH SX-6300 Speaker

Center Channel: RBH SX-661C Dedicated Center Channel Speaker

Let me know if you need help obtaining good prices.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I had a very similar budget (for the front three) and looked into both Ascends and Salks. I ended up going with the Salks because of the custom cabinet work and amazing reviews. I'm looking into the philharmonitors for a separate room due to positive reviews.
Congrats on your purchase.

What did you order? And, almost as important, what finish?

I've been a happy SongTower owner for more than 6 years :D.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I see you went for the full veneer front and the hardwood trim on the cabinet edges. That will be very nice. Jim Salk knows how to do those finishes so the curly maple grain shows through.

You've also ordered Salk Surrounds. It will excellent sounding.

Jim's idea of the order progress tracking system is great. I bet he wishes he had a penny every time a customer checks that for progress :D.

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
I see you went for the full veneer front and the hardwood trim on the cabinet edges. That will be very nice. Jim Salk knows how to do those finishes so the curly maple grain shows through.

You've also ordered Salk Surrounds. It will excellent sounding.

Jim's idea of the order progress tracking system is great. I bet he wishes he had a penny every time a customer checks that for progress :D.
I'm really excited to see these in person! If Jim started to charge a penny he would make about 5 pennies a day off me alone! :)

R

rdalcanto

Enthusiast
How do the Salks or the Phils sound as higher volumes? Do they have the ability to play at higher volumes without getting harsh?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How do the Salks or the Phils sound as higher volumes? Do they have the ability to play at higher volumes without getting harsh?
Depends on what you mean by high volumes and in what size space.

R

rdalcanto

Enthusiast
Well, it is a big room because of the open floor plan both behind the couch, and to the left. I think what ever I try will need a 30+ day home trial. What about SVS Ultra Tower? How does that compare to the Salk?

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The SV Sound Ultra Tower has been reviewed positively and forum feedback is also positive. SV Sound covers return shipping and so it is a no brainer to have them in the mix.

To be honest, you will need to pick two (or more) and compare them directly at home.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, it is a big room because of the open floor plan both behind the couch, and to the left. I think what ever I try will need a 30+ day home trial. What about SVS Ultra Tower? How does that compare to the Salk?
I believe what Dennis (from Philharmonic Audio) recommends is that you buy a pair of the bookshelves (Philharmonitors) and try those for 30 days. This will give you an idea of where you would be heading with the Phil 3's or Phil slims or Phil Jr's. If you don't like them, or want to move on to a pair of the towers then you would return the Philharmonitors. If you love the Philharmonitors, then you'll love any of the others since they'll just give you lower extension, more power handling/SPL, and a cleaner top end/mid due the RAAL tweeter and excellent mids he uses.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I believe what Dennis (from Philharmonic Audio) recommends is that you buy a pair of the bookshelves (Philharmonitors) and try those for 30 days. This will give you an idea of where you would be heading with the Phil 3's or Phil slims or Phil Jr's. If you don't like them, or want to move on to a pair of the towers then you would return the Philharmonitors.
That is also my recommendation on trial/testing the sound signatures.
I would also do this with SVS and any other brand, that the OP will be
interested in.

whitey019

whitey019

Enthusiast
Confirmed Paradigm fan here so I recommend them, especially the Studio series. Studio 60s with a cc-490 would be in your budget.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis