Recommendations how to complement old speakers to complete 5.1 system

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
lets just say demoing two subs the yamaha sounded worse then the sony, and the sony was pretty bad, sure its really "loud" and will shake your room, but has BAD accuracy and is really unnatural sounding, the tuning frequencies of the port overpower everything else. ive never heard a yamaha sub i liked. as far as the dayton goes, ive never heard it, all i know is i was considering one at one point in time because as everyone on audioholics knows or should know by now im always on a tight budget and it had a nice price but almost all the internet reviews i read people complained about bad boomy and "boxy" sounding bass and that they usually werent put together real well. i personally like polks subs, but i also know someone somewhere is going to hit me over the head with a pipe wrench for saying that, but who cares, i like them still.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
lets just say demoing two subs the yamaha sounded worse then the sony, and the sony was pretty bad, sure its really "loud" and will shake your room, but has BAD accuracy and is really unnatural sounding, the tuning frequencies of the port overpower everything else. ive never heard a yamaha sub i liked. as far as the dayton goes, ive never heard it, all i know is i was considering one at one point in time because as everyone on audioholics knows or should know by now im always on a tight budget and it had a nice price but almost all the internet reviews i read people complained about bad boomy and "boxy" sounding bass and that they usually werent put together real well. i personally like polks subs, but i also know someone somewhere is going to hit me over the head with a pipe wrench for saying that, but who cares, i like them still.
I have a dayton sub, and I would recommend it to anyone on a budget. My next sub will definitely be DIY though. I had a little trouble getting it to sound right in my room, but its an awkwardly shaped room.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You have six speakers already. All you really need is a sub.

I'd try one of the 4 as a center. It's a free trial;);) If it doesn't work out I'd suggest you look at any JBL or Infinity Center channel with a similar tweeter style.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Poor placement or undersized boxes causes boomy subs.

G

Ginsu543

Enthusiast
Well, to give all of you an update, I've decided to make a 5.1 system using my Yamaha NS-10M's. I bought an NS-10M Studio speaker to use as a center speaker and found a good deal on the YST-SW315 off eBay. I kinda wish I'd seen some of your comments on the Yamaha sub before I'd committed to buying it (makes me somewhat doubt my purchase), but too late. At least it was a decent price ($205 delivered). I'll be connecting all of them to a Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K 7.1 receiver. Once I have it all set up, I'll give you a report as to how it sounds.

I'm going to set aside the JBL L100T's until I can pair it with a good stereo receiver for just straight-up music listening. Right now, I have it hooked up to a Yamaha RX385, but I'm not sure it can do the speakers justice. Any suggestions on that front will also be appreciated.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, to give all of you an update, I've decided to make a 5.1 system using my Yamaha NS-10M's. I bought an NS-10M Studio speaker to use as a center speaker and found a good deal on the YST-SW315 off eBay. I kinda wish I'd seen some of your comments on the Yamaha sub before I'd committed to buying it (makes me somewhat doubt my purchase), but too late. At least it was a decent price ($205 delivered). I'll be connecting all of them to a Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K 7.1 receiver. Once I have it all set up, I'll give you a report as to how it sounds.

I'm going to set aside the JBL L100T's until I can pair it with a good stereo receiver for just straight-up music listening. Right now, I have it hooked up to a Yamaha RX385, but I'm not sure it can do the speakers justice. Any suggestions on that front will also be appreciated.
For a stereo setup go vintage.

G

Ginsu543

Enthusiast
Another update. Here are some pics of my (finally) completed home theater setup. Rockin' the NS-10M's and the horizontal layout of the NS-10M Studio I got works perfectly. So far, everything sounds great!

T

TheDarkOne

Audiophyte
Threadsurrection

I hope it is okay I resurrect this thread as I am dealing with a very similar issue, namely, trying to a center channel and surrounds to match JBL L100T's.

Any new thoughts on the matter?

I just ordered a Yamaha RX-A1000, so that will be what is powering these guys.

Btw, these things play very loud, very low, and very flat. Unless you really shell out for something crazy, adding a subwoofer adds little if anything to these speakers. My advice, unless you want to shell out money, setting them to large will give plenty of LFE without the use of the .1 channel.

B

Boyer

Audiophyte
WoW I know old thread but I kinda in the same boat. I have a VSX-1131 receiver and right now I'm only using JBL 230's..they sound pretty good. I have a pair of JBL 100T's, I was wanting to use as front speakers and the 230's as rear. The L100T's woofers are being re foamed right now. So it would be better to use the 100T's as rear speaker and 230's as front? How would I set that up in the receiver as 2.0 setup? I may add a center later on, don't think a sub will be needed...but maybe
thanks

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I recently received a set of old speakers from my dad and I was wondering how to complement them to build a quality 5.1 (maybe 7.1) speaker system.

This is what I have:
2 x JBL L100T floor standing speakers
4 x Panasonic NS-10M bookshelf speakers

This is what I need (I'm assuming):
1 x center channel speaker
1 x subwoofer

What make and model of speakers would sound good with the speakers I've got without breaking the bank? Also, it it possible to use one of the NS-10M speakers as a center?
Recognizing this is an older thread, what’s worked perfectly for me was buying a pair of JBL L1 for the center. The using the pair presents a 4 ohm load and really has a terrific sound with the L100t.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
WoW I know old thread but I kinda in the same boat. I have a VSX-1131 receiver and right now I'm only using JBL 230's..they sound pretty good. I have a pair of JBL 100T's, I was wanting to use as front speakers and the 230's as rear. The L100T's woofers are being re foamed right now. So it would be better to use the 100T's as rear speaker and 230's as front? How would I set that up in the receiver as 2.0 setup? I may add a center later on, don't think a sub will be needed...but maybe
thanks
I have configured my L100t as front, L3 for the rear and a pair of L1 for my center. Sounds amazing with my Nakamichi PA-1.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis