Recommendations - AV Receiver

S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
Here is the standard "Can you recommend a receiver" thread again :)

I am up to page 12 now, reading just about everything that my brain is about to explode. I'll start off with the specs of what I would like.

3 Component Video INs
3 (4 preferred) Optical INs
Banana Connection
THX (seems some responses here states this more than a sticker :))
OSD
Remote does not really matter as I plan on getting the Sony 3100 LCD remote
DSP - Stadium for Football Games ! :).

What is it used for the most? Movies, HDTV (too bad HDMI is still too expensive), PC connections for games/internet Radio/Mp3s

Price range = 500-700ish

The ones I see the most mentioned is Yamaha 2500 and Onkyo 602/702 in this price range.

Which of these two have a better OSD and works with component video(USA)?

Also looking at the Denon 2803 from an online reseller, but dont know yet.

By front speakers are currently JBLs and the rears are B&Ws (Bi-Wire). I am upgrading from a Sony 935 (5yrs old I think), so I am sure either will be far better from the responses I have read. I am curious, I dont see anything much about connecting speakers with the bi-wire options (low and mids, on seperate cables, right?)

Trying to think if I am missing something, which at this point, my brain justed fried, so it is possible. Thanks for any advice! Oh yeah, I plan on heading to CC and listening to some options too.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
I think you cant go wrong w/ the Yami 2500 or the Denon 2805. both have 3 comp inputs. the denon doesnt have the THX but that really doesnt matter too much. Both of those are over $700 if you go with an authorized resaler but if you want to try your luck w/ online places just be carefull

also, I have a Sony 3100 I want to get rid of so if you really want it I can sell you mine. I just use the controller that came w/ my 2500 since it is a learning one and I can hold it with one hand. The Sony 3100 does impress people when they see it laying on the coffe table and it also keeps the girlfriend/wife from changing channels because she doesnt know how to work the think.

Basically, you cant go wrong w/ the Yami 2500, Denon 2805 or the Onkyo 602. I would even say that unless you NEED three component inputs then go with the Yami 1500. I thought I NEEDED 3 component inputs but I ended up just using 2 (XBOX +DVD) and then went DVI from my HD cable box to my TV.

good luck, get ready to spend more than you want :)

some tips too...

dont go overboard on getting the best speaker wire. Just get 100' of 14ga or 12ga stuff at home depot or lowes.

dont spend $20/pair for bannana clips. you can get deal on ebay

interconnectors dont need to cost $60 for 3ft of cable. No need to go super spendy, but dont get cheap.

and lastly.... never buy a AV reciever, because as soon as you buy one, they announce a new one is comming out with more featues, more connections and more watts in the next quarter for the $50 more than the one you just bought

S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I dont plan on a remote until after the receiver purchase, but my experience in the past, the "universal" remotes that come with TVs and other equipment never works well. Sure you can turn the stuff on and off, volume and channel, but when you need to get to the menus, PIP, Tivo stuff, etc... they all pretty much have failed. If the Yami remote can do all this, that is a plus!

Currently I have the HDtuner (comcast), DVD, Xbox that uses comonent videos plus DVI/HDMI for the PC. The TV I have is the Hitachi RP57 HDTV, 1 HDMI and 1 Comonponent (when using the HDMI). Hence the need of 3 Component Ins. I would like to think I could get several years out of this thing, so having more than I need on inputs is a good thing.

Speaker wire, I purchased some Velocity speaker wire for the fronts for the time being...I know that monster cable is over rated, so I opt for these cables. One of the few that had banana plugs installed and they looked good on the web (getting them in the mail today). The past I made my own, but the plugs over time fell off.

Do you have the Yami, and if so, how does the OSD work out and does it work over the component video? (dont want svideo running to the TV too).

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha 2500 or Marantz 8400 is the absolute best you can get in that price range. Don't pay extra for THX certification. They are only guidelines.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
shadowfayre said:
Thanks for the info. I dont plan on a remote until after
Do you have the Yami, and if so, how does the OSD work out and does it work over the component video? (dont want svideo running to the TV too).

i have a very similar setup as you.

Comcast HD box w/ DVR to TV via DVI
XBOX component cables to v2500
Progressive scan DVD player to v2500 via component
Yami Laser Disc player connected via compsite
and the v2500 is connected to the TV via component cables. everything is upconverted to component so I only have one set of cables going to the TV from the receiver.

I have one open component spot on my TV and one on my reciever. I wish I had a TV and Reciever that had HDMI inputs. If you want to save up and get the Yami v4600, that is going to have HDMI inputs

by OSD display I think you are talking about the On Screen Display? Well, I think it is awesome, not something i bought the unit for but a definite bonus. and I got it working w/ components, no need for s-vid or composite at all.

S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
yammi it is!

I believe I am going to purchase the yami. I see alot of reviews and comments that point to yammis. Plus, I like the look of the front of the receiver, looks more professional than the Onkyo. The display is also alot nicer (IMO). The only thing I like about the Onkyo is the connections on the back (color coded). the OSD (GUI) looks impressive on the yammi, and I havent seen any pictures of the Onkyo one (not thats a purchasing factor). Both are THX certified a nother small plus. A bit more than I originally wanted to spend, but this is afterall a key component. The 757 has XM radio, which would be a nice addition, but not worth the losses. Afterall, my HTPC is hooked into it, I could do the XM over the net afterall.

One question, and I might put this in another thread, I currently have a 5.1 setup (just the rears). In a 7.1, is that Surround or Surround Back?

Now, where to get the best deal w/warranty :) Thanks again!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Surround back or presence front.

Yamaha RX-V + warranty = Local shop. :(

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Or add $120 for an extended 2 yr warranty through an etailer. Should run you around $800 out the door for the Yamaha 2500.

You can still get the Marantz for under $600 shipped which is as good of a receiver as the Yammy or Denon 3805, but has the nicest face plate. It comes with a Marantz 1 yr warranty. The last batch of Marantz 8400's sold for under $600. Check out all the bidders. Yeah, it's a hot item. Don't have to worry about an outside source warranty or overpaying a local shop for a Yammy.

www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10344088

Last edited:
S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help. I made the purchase online.. total 805 with 2yr +2day Air delivery. Better than the local dealer. Personally, I am over the past couple of years, I have been going more towards online shopping then B&M shopping. The store fronts used to be the best place even with the web, as you had selection, the ability to test each component and the famous customer service. Today, none of these exist. You enter the store, most cases you do not get greeted, no one ask you if you need assistance... lack of stock and most places throw the stuff on a self on the main floor where you can no longer test it or compare with other equipment. If only stores would wake up and try to win the customers back. Til then, more and more online sales will take from the B&M shops. IMO.

Again thanks for the assistance on getting the right receiver, now the waiting begins :)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I also pulled the trigger on that same deal through ubid. I got my Marantz SR8400 for just over $600 including shipping. Coincidentally, it was to upgrade my Onkyo 602. I sold it on eBay for just shy of $300 so, the Marantz ended up costing me only $300 out of pocket. Considering that, I've been blown away by the Marantz. I keep telling myself it can't really be true, but I am thoroughly convinced the Marantz sounds better than the Onkyo. I don't know if it's the fact that there's more power, or that different receiver makers just have different sounds, but this thing has got it all over my Onkyo. Everything else remained the same; speakers, cables, etc. Still, with all things the same, I swear my Marantz sounds better. Could be power of suggestion. :D

At any rate, it's an unbelievable receiver if you can manage to scoop one up off of ubid for that price.

S

shadowfayre

Enthusiast
I myself nearly pulled the trigger on the Marantz. The deal breaker was the 2-component video ins. I needed 3, and even with that, I have no additional inputs for new stuff. I am sure as we continue moving to the digital TV era, we will see more and more... why do we need 5+ Svideo connections :) Of course we have HDMI on the horizon too...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The next wave of receivers will have the DVI/HDMI inputs necessary for all the new video gear. It's too bad Marantz has to charge almost twice for the 8500 compared to the 8400 for newer imputs.

Have you guys seen what LCD tv's are doing pricewise? Man, have they come down. I saw a 32" LCD Protron (whatever that it) on shopnbc.com yesterday for $1299! That market is going to wipe out the Plasma market in no time.

Shadow, I totally agree with you. I have so many useless composite and S Video jacks in the back of my Denon, its insane.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis