Recommendation: RBH Speakers needs a good receiver

B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
Hi,

Couple of years ago I bought the RBH SVTR tower speakers, SV-821CR Center speakers, and SV-61/R bookshelf speakers as surrounds. I have been driving them with an old Pioneer VSX 82TXS receiver and Anthem MCA 225 GEN 2 amplifier (for my passive subwoofers). The set up sounds really nice - but I am not sure if I am doing these fine speakers any justice with the receiver and am thinking of upgrading. Question 1: Should I?

Thinking of the following in order of priority based on Audio Advice's Best Receivers of 2022 video on YouTube:

(a) Arcam AV31 - a bit out of budget, but can plead with spouse, if this is a superior product
(b) Denon AVR A1H - also a bit out of budget, but can plead with spouse, if this is a superior product
(c) Anthem MX1140 - in my range (given current sale) - but a commenter in these forums said that the DACs were of lower quality
(d) Rotel RAP-1580MKII - stretching budget. The lack of E-ARC and only 4K is a concern (though I have only a 4K TV and an old XBox One).

I am sure that separates are probably the way to go - but a good set of separates cost way more than a receiver. BTW I love music and do watch a lot of movies - but music is my first love.

Your recommendation and thoughts would be mighty helpful.

Thanks a ton in advance,

BuddhaBoy

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know from info you've provided. What are your listening levels? Distances from speakers? Use something like this to help determine your needs? http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html I wouldn't look to an avr for a total amp solution, prefer a full set of pre-outs for external amp flexibility as needed. The comparison tool here is useful, too zkelectronics.com

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A, B and C are all good choices depending on your level of calibration prowess. Dirac is more powerful than Arc Genesis and Audyssey but is more challenging to use. Audyssey gives mixed results if you don't carefully tweak. Arc Genesis is the easiest and most consistent room correction of the 3, IMO but has less tweakability. The Anthem has the weakest amps of the 3 choices for driving 4 ohm speakers. The Denon is boss.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First, awesome RBH system! :D

I drive my SVT towers with a Yamaha RX-A3080, the sub/bass cabinet with the RBH 500DSP amp. They sound superb.

For my HT room, I have the RBH SX-T2/R towers x 5 and use the Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP + MX-A5000 AMP. The sub/bass cabs are powered by my ATI AT2005 amp. Also superb.

I don’t think you need to spend a lot on the AVR (or amps) to make the RBH sound great.

AVR will sound every bit as awesome as separates when you have great speakers.

The salient thing will be the SETUP of your AVR/AVP.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I’ve had the Legacy Wavelet, Denon 8500, and now the Trinnov Altitude 16 serving as processors running my RBH SVTRS through ATI class D amps. They all sounded awesome but the room correction and bass management of the Trinnov is totally different (can’t wait for the new bass management processing to be pushed to current users) Easier to get better results than the others. They all sounded good. Trinnov 1st, Wavelet 2nd and the Denon 3rd. At the levels I listen to I need the external amps. I think it all depends how in depth you want to get to achieve the best results. With the Trinnov, I can have a remote calibrator do all the work and get the best results with minimal effort on my part. I want to get into my room with my family and just enjoy. All depends how much time you want to dedicate to the setup. Mind you, my room is well treated and is a good start. The times I’ve experimented with the Denon alone, running the SVTRS and 2 rear subs with 7 bed layers and 4 Atmos channels it felt like it was lacking in power. I’ve always needed external amplification and wouldn’t leave it for the Denon to run the main channels. Either way, talk with ADTG and he’ll hook you up. I almost went with the Storm but I’ve always wanted a Trinnov and went with it.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis