Recommendation needed!

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
I have a Klipsch 12" sub (the reference series RW-12 subwoofer) and am hooking it up to my surround sound system using the Yamaha RX-V 1500. I'll be using the sub pre-out to LFE for connecting the reciever to the subwoofer. However, I keep reading dramatically different opinions regarding subwoofer cables. Some people swear by Monster and others say any 75Ohm solid-copper core coax cable with RCA connectors on the ends will do. So, my question is should I spend the money to get a Monster cable, or is there a good DIY option? I did all my speaker cables using 3, 14 gauge strands for each red and black speaker connection. All the cables were terminated with GLS 24K gold locking banana plugs. I like the DIY option for one because I can make all the cables the same color (black in my case). But, I'm a little apprehensive of doing this in light of hearing about people's problems with humming/buzzing sounds coming from their subs. Can I get a solid recommendation on whether someone has done their own subwoofer cable and what their experience has been? Did it work well? Do you have any problems? What RCA connectors did you use? That would help make my decision easier one way or another...

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
I bought a standard 25' RCA stereo plug. split it in half and then spliced one in to the other. Ending product. ~45' with RCA plugs on the ends for my PB10-ISD.

I think I spent all of $7.50 at parts express for that cable. I might get better shielding on the wire if I spent more on it. Over the past 45 days I've only heard feedback once, and that was when the receiver wasn't powered on. The base is defnetly getting a strong signal from the receiver. Even if I bought more expensive wire. it would cost me a LOT more to run it approx 40+' from the receiver to the base.

Money is of the upmost concern to me in my situation. I'm looking for great quality and a cheaper cost. The cost vs. benifit for something like Monster cables I'll never be able to justify.

Perhaps if I was a millionare and too lazy, and simply wanted to buy the most expensive plugs available at the store...

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
A "Sub" cable is just a RCA patch cable. Generally Shielded 75 ohm. Some cable companies label their standard patch cables as "Sub" cables and charge more for the exact same thing.

Monster is a good cable, just overpriced and EVIL. See numerous other threads about the "EVIL" part.

Any RCA patch cable from Radio Shack Gold, Blue Jeans Cable, Acoustic Research, RCA Brand, Dayton will do. I actually bought a cable from Comp USA this weekend called "Pure Audio". Very well made and half the price of the Monster cable right next to it. I looked at both and saw no reason to spend twice the money.

Shinerman

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
you mean you didn't like the shiney casing and flashing terminals?

awe come on Shinerman!

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Monster sub cables are usually only beneficial when you are running a Bose Acoustamas (sp) sub ;)

Mort

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis