Recommendation for new receiver with old speakers

F

fzzzt

Audiophyte
Hello,

I'm looking for a receiver/setup recommendation. I moved across the country recently and brought my four old Wharfedale Opal 90s with me, which I bought many years ago. I used to have them in a 5.1 setup for movies (and music sometimes) as front and surround channels (plus center and sub). That was literally 10 years ago, they have been bubble wrapped since then. I bought a cheap Rockville receiver to test them out and amazingly (after moving from NH to 4 different towns in NY to KY to CA over 20 years) they still work 100% and sound good.

Back in my college days when I bought them, I knew little and cared less, and just plugged them into the JVC receiver I had at the time. When I was unpacking them recently, I noticed that they have this on the back by the posts (maybe I knew this back then and just forgot):

Power Handling 175W
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity 90 dB

I've been struggling to find something that seems like it can drive them safely due to the ohms, but maybe that doesn't matter at home theater sound levels. They do have four 6" drivers in each speaker though. I am not against buying an amp if necessary (never used one before). 6 channels (5.1) is fine for me but those seem to be disappearing with the new tech. I would like to be able to watch 4K movies (I have some blu-ray discs). I would guess the options open up with a separate amp.

Budget wise, lower would be better of course but I was hoping to stay in the 500-1000 range for everything involved audio wise.

I think most importantly I am wondering what I should look for power wise...most receivers I see are something like 75W across 2 channels at 6 ohms, which seems bad for this situation (but I don't really know). Actual receiver model recommendations would be great, too, though. I guess I could sell the the speakers for something else but would rather not...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello,

I'm looking for a receiver/setup recommendation. I moved across the country recently and brought my four old Wharfedale Opal 90s with me, which I bought many years ago. I used to have them in a 5.1 setup for movies (and music sometimes) as front and surround channels (plus center and sub). That was literally 10 years ago, they have been bubble wrapped since then. I bought a cheap Rockville receiver to test them out and amazingly (after moving from NH to 4 different towns in NY to KY to CA over 20 years) they still work 100% and sound good.

Back in my college days when I bought them, I knew little and cared less, and just plugged them into the JVC receiver I had at the time. When I was unpacking them recently, I noticed that they have this on the back by the posts (maybe I knew this back then and just forgot):

Power Handling 175W
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity 90 dB

I've been struggling to find something that seems like it can drive them safely due to the ohms, but maybe that doesn't matter at home theater sound levels. They do have four 6" drivers in each speaker though. I am not against buying an amp if necessary (never used one before). 6 channels (5.1) is fine for me but those seem to be disappearing with the new tech. I would like to be able to watch 4K movies (I have some blu-ray discs). I would guess the options open up with a separate amp.

Budget wise, lower would be better of course but I was hoping to stay in the 500-1000 range for everything involved audio wise.

I think most importantly I am wondering what I should look for power wise...most receivers I see are something like 75W across 2 channels at 6 ohms, which seems bad for this situation (but I don't really know). Actual receiver model recommendations would be great, too, though. I guess I could sell the the speakers for something else but would rather not...
You may or may not have to worry as it may or may not be difficult to find the right amp for those speakers.

Without getting into details, suffice to say that it is a big audio myth that 4 ohm nominal speakers are hard to drive, when no other information are given. That said, on all else being equal basis, 4 ohms nominal speakers naturally needs higher current so yes, that means they are often harder to drive.

For example, 4 ohms, 90 dB sensitivity could be much easier to drive that 8 ohms, 84 dB sensitivity, but that's also over simplifying.

In theory, strictly speaking, any amplifier, even AV receivers, can drive 4 ohms nominal speakers depending a quite a few other factors. There are 4 ohm nominal speakers that also have poor phase angles and dips below 3 or even 2 ohms, that just another example why you need more information about the speakers, such as the impedance vs frequency curve itself instead of just one number.

You may want to try an online calculator such as the ones linked below, to get some ideas in you specific use and go from there:

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)
Peak SPL Calculator - Benchmark Media Systems
SPL Calculator: How Loud Will Your Amplifier and Speakers Go? | Home Cinema Guide (the-home-cinema-guide.com)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Remember your College days, 'knew little, couldn't care less' ? re-live them, you'll be fine ......

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Those Wharfedale Opal 90's should be easy to drive. If they are 4 ohm speakers, their impedance is not to dig below 3 ohms for sure. Weird impedance curves are recent occurrences on products of some incompetent manufacturers.

Wharfedale is a reliable firm and the OP should not worry with any receiver which is designed to drive 4 ohm speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis