Recommendation for (a Somewhat Affordable) AT95E Upgrade

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Apologies if this isn't the right place in the forum to post this query; wasn't sure where it should be, exactly, as there isn't an area dedicated to turntables and vinyl/analog...

I'd like to upgrade the Audio-Technica AT95E stylus/cartridge that's on my AT-LP120 turntable to combat some nasty inner groove distortion and other issues I've experienced with this "fat elliptical" product (this cartridge comes with this turntable and I'm on the first replacement stylus after wearing out the original). I know that by going with a microline shape stylus, it would solve the IGD problem or reduce it greatly, but the problem is I'm not really prepared to spend $200 on what would be the logical upgrade path, Audio-Technica's own VM95, which is the company's newer microline product in the 95 series. I was planning on getting the VM95 with the headshell package, so the cart is already assembled on the shell and aligned, and this combo brings the bottom line to 200 bucks...

Is there ANY cartridge option between the level of my AT95E and, say, the $200 VM95 that would at least yield better results than the 95E? It doesn't have to be an Audio-Technica, nor does it have to be an exotic-esque microline shape; just wondering if there are any options out there...

Thanks in advance, Audioholics.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@Kaskade89052 So far there's no dedicated section for turntables. I don't think there's enough interest.

As far as your question goes, I also replaced my AT-VM95E. Many reliable sources told me you can't really get anything to play better for the money and I agree. But I was ready to go a bit further with the price range.

There's one option half-way there. You give it a look, find some reviews and see what you think. It's the SuperOM cart. What trickled down from 2M Blue is this: OM Super cartridges models have split pole PINs which reduces magnetic losses at the treble end.

Huge adventage is it can take 7 or 8 different styli. Maybe it can get you there.

I am satisfied with it, but I will tell you it's a HUGE pain mounting it. A lot of fiddling which only raises the risk of bending the cantilever. Come to think of it, remembering the ordeal, I'd probably give twenty bucks for this tool just to avoid the next time:
1606898483961.png

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
@Kaskade89052 So far there's no dedicated section for turntables. I don't think there's enough interest.

As far as your question goes, I also replaced my AT-VM95E. Many reliable sources told me you can't really get anything to play better for the money and I agree. But I was ready to go a bit further with the price range.

There's one option half-way there. You give it a look, find some reviews and see what you think. It's the SuperOM cart. What trickled down from 2M Blue is this: OM Super cartridges models have split pole PINs which reduces magnetic losses at the treble end.

Huge adventage is it can take 7 or 8 different styli. Maybe it can get you there.

I am satisfied with it, but I will tell you it's a HUGE pain mounting it. A lot of fiddling which only raises the risk of bending the cantilever. Come to think of it, remembering the ordeal, I'd probably give twenty bucks for this tool just to avoid the next time:
View attachment 42254
Thanks a bunch.

Yeah, the VM95E you had was the replacement for the classic AT95E I've been running; it's their decent elliptical. I was looking to move up to a microline or maybe something not quite as exotic because I know the price point is pretty high for those; perhaps a nude elliptical?

Can you give me some more detail about what you're suggesting?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Check out LP gear. They have some nice replacement styli for that cartridge .But I'm not sure that spending that much $$ on a relatively inexpensive TT is really worth it. If you really want to upgrade you may have to purchase a better TT with a better arm. Sorry.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Check out LP gear. They have some nice replacement styli for that cartridge .But I'm not sure that spending that much $$ on a relatively inexpensive TT is really worth it. If you really want to upgrade you may have to purchase a better TT with a better arm. Sorry.
I understand about the turntable value thing, and I have considered that -- it's precisely why I really didn't want to spend 200 bucks on a cart. But I've also taken into consideration the fact that a nice stylus upgrade can significantly improve a turntable's sound, regardless of its price point (save for maybe at the Crosley level), and I'd like to hold on to the LP120 for now.

The only turntable I'd consider upgrading to would be a new SL1200, and I can't really afford one. Same s-shaped arm, though.

I have been on LP Gear's site and communicated with their reps exhaustively in the past; according to them, there's really no cheaper way to eliminate IGD and other tracking issues. I can look again, but I'm pretty sure their replacement styli for upgrading the AT95E was out of budget, too. I may look into just buying the microline stylus replacement for my AT95E cartridge body, though that's expensive, as well...

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
From what I read lately, I think your turntable is not the bottleneck for now.

Ortofon.com site is pretty good and detailed. I doubt I can tell you more. What is a nice advantage for the SuperOM (and OMs in general) that I've recommended is that you can even fit a nude stylus on that cart (as well as 78 and microgroove if you need them) when you want change.

European gear is often cheaper in US, you might deep probe the internet to see if you can get a good price on SuperOM generator and stylus 20 from Ortofon which is the first nude in the lineup.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If you really want to know what I would do (and you have time), prepare for some hifist-on-a-budget thinking:

First, I would buy a replacement stylus for my cartridge. Deep probe the Internet to find the best price possible. now you have a cart with a new stylus you can sell for 45-50 bucks easily. You're ahead 25-30 bucks.

Then I would buy a SuperOM 10E package (Amazon 80 bucks). Then I would sell the OM 10 stylus (amazon 60 bucks). Now you have appropriate generator for the nude OM stylus for only 10-15 bucks. You have a return of 50-60 bucks depending what you get.

Then I would buy the Ortofon Stylus 20 (the nude one) from lp gear for 190 bucks. If you managed to get 25 bucks for your AT cart and if you managed to get 55 bucks for the new OM 10 when you sell them, you'd get 80 bucks.

Invest that into the nude 20 OM and you get it for 110 bucks.

I would then mount the nude 20 OM onto my SuperOM generator.

If for any reason you should realize you're not satisfied, you're now in the possession of a cart that sells for 205$ new. Sell it and go for another nude.

Just be sure to test it properly the first day or two to see if you like it. Don't put too many hours on her or it won't sell easily.

(I really did this when I was changing mine. I got the new, more expensive one without spending any real money)

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks a lot, kill; will reply in kind as soon as I can.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis