Recommend Sub for Energy RC-Micro 5.0 w/ Pioneer VSX-1121-K

M

Marino24

Audiophyte
I'm a Home Theater noob so I need some help!!!

I just bought the Energy RC-Micro 5.0 speaker set for my home theater (85% movies and 15% music) along with a pioneer vsx-1121-k to fill an open area 16'x12'x9' with wood laminate floors (wide 4' opening in back corner leads to living room, no door to close). I'm looking for a sub in the $200-$300 range...i'm really leaning towards the BIC PL-200 I saw it recently go on sale to $250(didn't pull the trigger the first time) I'm looking for a good bang for buck deal while trying to keep it a decent quality sub. I first thought the BIC F12 would be fine for $188 but a few detailed reviews I read made me want to spend a little more money for deeper/cleaner bass. One thing i'm keeping in mind is that the Energy Micro's only go down to 150hz so i'm looking for subs that go above that...or should I not be?

What would you recommend if you had to get a sub in the $200-$300 price range for my setup?? If I see the BIC PL-200 for $250 again do I jump on it??

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I'm looking for a good bang for buck deal while trying to keep it a decent quality sub.

What would you recommend if you had to get a sub in the $200-$300 price range for my setup?? If I see the BIC PL-200 for $250 again do I jump on it??
"decent quality" is relative, of course, but by most measures $200-$300 will not really get much in the way of quality for you. Serviceable yes, but you have to assume that some aspect of it's output -- clarity, depth, SPL, etc -- will be a bit compromised in order to achieve the price point. That being said...

The PL-200 is generally well regarded, so that would be a good choice. A few others to consider are:

Acoustic Audio HD-SUB15 {a lot of folks on the blu-ray.com forum have bought AA subs, and most have found them to provide good value. i think members of that forum get a discount on them as well}

Lava LSP12 {members of blu-ray.com and avsforum.com get a 15% discount}

OSD PS12 {I evaluated the smaller version of this, the PS10, and found it to be surprisingly good for the money}

Premier Acoustic PA-120 {probably the cleanest, most "musical" sub of the bunch. this site allows you to make an offer, and they'll usually accept 10%-15% less than the listed price}

M

Marino24

Audiophyte
I'm now between the lava LSP12 and BIC PL-200. Has anybody heard the difference between the 2?
I'm going to have to place the sub in the corner of the room or right next to the TV with its back as close to the wall as possible...so that makes me wonder whether getting a rear ported sub is a smart choice. Would that make any difference because of where I have to locate the sub whether its rear or front ported?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I'm now between the lava LSP12 and BIC PL-200. Has anybody heard the difference between the 2?
I'm going to have to place the sub in the corner of the room or right next to the TV with its back as close to the wall as possible...so that makes me wonder whether getting a rear ported sub is a smart choice. Would that make any difference because of where I have to locate the sub whether its rear or front ported?
I'm not able to answer that myself, but there's a pretty active Acoustic Audio thread over on blu-ray.com. Perhaps one of those guys has heard both subs.

B

bilesteve

Enthusiast
Go to Vann's

and snag one of the Energy Veritas subwoofers that they are closing out at a great price, the bang for your buck is great. You can ask the salespeople's opinions as I did when considering a Velodyne and I felt the sales people were pretty fair in their comparisons and assesments of the virtues of each. I went with the Veritas.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Vann's has the Jamo C80Sub for just $300, which is an incredible price. But it's only on sale today.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis