Recommend some 5.2.2 Atmos Ceiling Hieght Speakers

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Looking to install some ceiling height speakers to complete my 5.1 setup.
The room is only 10 feet wide so I am only doing 2 ceiling speakers. I figure I will follow the dolby guide and install them closely above the MLP. Any recommendations on brands or models? I was looking at the RSL C34Es but saw the woofers have a 15 degree incline so maybe they are not the best choice for a 2 speaker height setup?
I don't want to spend a more then $250 as I have read Atmos provides subtle sounds and doesn't require a very large or powerful speaker. Plus the rest of my speakers are pretty powerful.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used four of them in my theater. They are excellent to be sure, so I do recommended them first. However there are others out there that work too. IMO, the 15° would be beneficial as you could point them more toward the MLP. That’s what I’d do.....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, what is the length of the room? That would be more important for using two vs four. Fwiw, four is definitely better.

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Thanks William.
Room length is about 20 feet.
My AVR only has room for 2 more speakers.
Will upgrade one day in the future to 4.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
I have 4 of the RSL C34e's. I think they do a fantastic job. I havent tried any other speakers for atmos so outside of the RSLs i cant speak to much. Joe at RSL was awesome to deal with as well seems like a great company fwiw.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking to install some ceiling height speakers to complete my 5.1 setup.
The room is only 10 feet wide so I am only doing 2 ceiling speakers. I figure I will follow the dolby guide and install them closely above the MLP. Any recommendations on brands or models? I was looking at the RSL C34Es but saw the woofers have a 15 degree incline so maybe they are not the best choice for a 2 speaker height setup?
I don't want to spend a more then $250 as I have read Atmos provides subtle sounds and doesn't require a very large or powerful speaker. Plus the rest of my speakers are pretty powerful.
I would use these.

The best speaker I think for ceiling speakers for Atmos is a really good full ranger. Most ceiling speakers are a hopeless mess. The ones you picked out make more sense than most.

I have used four JW full rangers from my stock of those phenomenal full range drivers. Three shown here.

Back boxes were made for them. I am of the view that ALL ceiling Atmos speakers should be enclosed.

The finished result. You can see two of them in this picture.

Unlike RSL I will show you the FR.

They sound superb. They are natural and very realistic. I have been very happy with them, they have not put a foot wrong in that application.

Those Mark Audio drivers are the direct descendants of those JW full rangers. The late TED Jordan handed all his engineering over to them in his final illness.

I am absolutely certain they are the most optimal speakers fro Atmos duty.

If you are interested I will calculate the optimal back box for those Mark Audio drivers. The ones I showed I specifically designed for the JW drivers in this application.

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
TLS guy, Holy moly that is quote the system you built. Thanks for all the great info. I think I will just go with the C34Es for now. I agree that they should be enclosed. So I was going to stuff some denim insulation behind them. I dont want to buy or make custom boxes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS guy, Holy moly that is quote the system you built. Thanks for all the great info. I think I will just go with the C34Es for now. I agree that they should be enclosed. So I was going to stuff some denim insulation behind them. I dont want to buy or make custom boxes.
I think it actually important to box them if only to prevent driver over excursion. I think they should have the restoring force of box pressure. It is not hard, but you need T/S parameters to size the box.

I have to say I have very serious reservations about the way ceiling Atmos speakers are installed and implemented. It is far too crude and not satisfactory for purpose.

I built the calculated optimal boxes for those JW based on my measurements of the T/S parameters. Correct engineering makes a difference and leads to optimal results.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis