Recommend a wall mount for me. 85" Screen.

J

jeff51

Enthusiast
Wall mount for an 85” (Sony - most likely).
New house, new room, time for an 85”
Give me your recommendations.
16" 2x4 stud spacing. Interior wall.

I don’t need very much sideways swing – if any.
Or even the front extension for normal watching. Perhaps 12" to back of TV max.
But I sure like the ability to get to the set out from the wall and swung to the side to get at the connections without heroic intervention.
Ultra close fit to the wall is not a priority.

I’ve found a few that seem to fit the bill
I like the mounting Dream because of the +- 3” side to side adjustment.
Mounting Dream
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9VYT5G/?coliid=I17QKCLD0JTZPC&colid=RGZNDSUXWAEW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The FOMO guy recommends this one – but they are also a sponsor.
Pipishell
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM8LHYJ/?coliid=I1MFC3161SQ57A&colid=RGZNDSUXWAEW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Open to other options as long as it isn't stupid expensive.
Thanks so much for your help.
All the Best,
Jeff

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Wall mount for an 85” (Sony - most likely).
New house, new room, time for an 85”
Give me your recommendations.
16" 2x4 stud spacing. Interior wall.

I don’t need very much sideways swing – if any.
Or even the front extension for normal watching. Perhaps 12" to back of TV max.
But I sure like the ability to get to the set out from the wall and swung to the side to get at the connections without heroic intervention.
Ultra close fit to the wall is not a priority.

I’ve found a few that seem to fit the bill
I like the mounting Dream because of the +- 3” side to side adjustment.
Mounting Dream
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9VYT5G/?coliid=I17QKCLD0JTZPC&colid=RGZNDSUXWAEW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The FOMO guy recommends this one – but they are also a sponsor.
Pipishell
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LM8LHYJ/?coliid=I1MFC3161SQ57A&colid=RGZNDSUXWAEW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Open to other options as long as it isn't stupid expensive.
Thanks so much for your help.
All the Best,
Jeff
The TV manual will tell you what wall mount you need for that TV. There are standard formats, and you have to buy a mount that will work for that TV. There is a coding system. So you CAN NOT select a mount before you select the TV. You have the cart before the proverbial horse.

By the way, a TV is not something I recommend you purchase on line. The chance of shipping damage is far too high. I have bought all my TVs from B & M stores. Family and friends have had bad experiences, because of shipping damage.

If you buy at Best Buy, for instance, they will have the correct wall mount for that TV. I have bought all my wall mounts with the TV and have had no issues. That is four TVs now.

Last edited:
J

jeff51

Enthusiast
Thanks TSL Guy,
Both those mounts have a VESA mounting range that will fit any size I care to buy.
The insigna mounts from Best Buy are not very impressive for the price.
All the BB mounts go up to 400x600 as do the ones I referenced.
The $350 Sanus at BB, or the WEB, is a close to wall mount. The extra 1.2" closer to the wall is not needed.
I won't be buying the TV from the WEB.
I'm looking for someone who have a wall mount for big screens and like them.
Or, hopefully, have experience with the two I mentioned.
All the Best,
Jeff

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks TSL Guy,
Both those mounts have a VESA mounting range that will fit any size I care to buy.
The insigna mounts from Best Buy are not very impressive for the price.
All the BB mounts go up to 400x600 as do the ones I referenced.
The $350 Sanus at BB, or the WEB, is a close to wall mount. The extra 1.2" closer to the wall is not needed.
I won't be buying the TV from the WEB.
I'm looking for someone who have a wall mount for big screens and like them.
Or, hopefully, have experience with the two I mentioned.
All the Best,
Jeff
BB supplied VESA mounts with mine.

J

jeff51

Enthusiast
Thanks Alex,
I'll check those out.
Which one do you use?
All the Best,
Jeff

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
DO NOT USE THAT CHEAP CRAP FROM AMAZON!!!

You have a very heavy 85" television that you are putting on your wall. Think VERY hard about whether you actually need it to pull away from the wall. The connectors for the TV are on the side, they aren't super accessible, but you have zero reason to really get to them unless the TV is in a recess in your wall. Doesn't sound like that is the case.

The last time I put up a 85" Sony, it was over a fireplace. I put in 2x4s in the cove over/behind the TV. I then mounted a Chief PNRUB mount which is rated to several hundred pounds to those 2x4s. Once that was up, I extended the mount all the way, and hung from it (I'm about 200 pounds)... and bounced. The mount didn't budge in the slightest.

I have used those cheap mounts before, and I actually ended up returning them because of how scary they were to use. When extended, they sagged significantly. This isn't at all what you want when you are hanging a pricey television from the mount.

If the mount was JUST coming out to get behind it for some basic service, and it was generally never going to be extended, then I would likely use something more like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12280

It has a 50% higher weight rating then the models you linked to.

Yes, Peerless mounts are pretty solid, but you want to be sure whatever weight rating you have is significantly higher than the TV itself weighs, and those 85" Sonys weight quite a bit. The Peerless models are in the same price class as the Chief mounts will be. The models designed to support the weight of a 85" TV easily are beefy builds with a high price point. Expect $500+ for true safety with that much weight.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Alex,
I'll check those out.
Which one do you use?
All the Best,
Jeff
Not an articulating mount. Something that met my size and weight filters was always under a hundred bucks. I set your link to filter at 100 lbs and articulating. Also I fasten 3/4 inch plywood to the wall and the mount to that. It can be made a few inches wider than the mount to pick up nearby studs that the mount misses. I don’t f¥<% around.

J

jeff51

Enthusiast
Thanks all.
Good info, hate to waste my time with cheep crap.
Until I posted here - all I knew about was from the "tubers"
Lately I've only got the use of one hand, so easy access - if only for the install - is important to me.
Also may end up watching with the TV out from the wall a bit.
Thanks again,
All the Best,
Jeff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis