Reciever questions,

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
Hello Gents,

I'm new and have just posted a question in the sub section since Id like some input on what to purchase.

Anyway, right now I have a Yamaha RX-A2020 AV receiver that satisfies my current needs. However, I'm looking to upgrade my current front L and R channels which are Def Tech studio monitor 350's to some brand or another tower speakers. The Yamaha currently is satisfying me needs. but, when I upgrade my fronts and go to a 9.1 system should I look into a new AVR? If yes, What recommendations would you guys suggest?

IF, I upgrade I'm going to go ahead and get the best I can in hopes of not upgrading for a good while.

The models I'm currently have my eye on are,

1. Denon 4250ci

2. Marantz 7008

And, Onkyo 3010

I would like some input on a what you would recommend barand and model wise? Along with why I should choose that brand over the others listed.

And, If I left a brand or model out of my top 3. Im open to suggestions.. Granted, the Onkyo 3010 is at the top of my budget I wish to spend, Although it its significantly better than the others Id like to know how?

Lastly, From what Ive read, newer models tend to be released around mid-year. So Im willing to wait to be able to get a better deal.

Much thanks,

Jerid

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Do you find your current AVR lacking in some way?

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
Not really. I just figured since im moving in to a new home and upgrading several components I could upgrade it too and give the 2020 to my father. Nd was wanting to know if the newer AVR's had better features and be worth upgrading.

I forgot to mention on my list I am also interested in the Yamaha RX-A3030.

Jerid

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You almost certainly do not need to upgrade your receiver. A year ago, it was Yamaha's second to top model. It is now discontinued, replaced by the RX-A2030.

Instead, it would be a much better idea to put that money that you were thinking about spending on a new receiver into better speakers. Speakers affect the sound you hear far more than anything else. And that Yamaha you have will be good enough for any speaker that is not very difficult to drive. And if you do buy speakers that are difficult to drive, you would want to buy a separate power amp to drive them and use the preamp outputs on your Yamaha to send the signal to that separate power amp. That is because you can get a more robust amplifier that way than you will ever get in a surround receiver. And most likely, if your Yamaha cannot handle a particular speaker, another receiver is going to have trouble with it, too. So, again, if you get difficult to drive speakers, just buy a separate power amp to drive them.

The ONLY reason you should ever replace that Yamaha is if you need some feature that it lacks, or it fails on you. Otherwise, you should just keep it and enjoy it. It is a great receiver, and trying to do better is going to be wasting money that could get you a real improvement by going with much better speakers than whatever you were thinking of buying.

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
Thank you for the wise advise.

I'm not unhappy with the Yamaha. I figured it would make a nice surprise for my father. His AVR is a cheap Sony, that I don't even know the model #... And. if I did upgrade AVR's I would wait till the current models are rebated when the newest come out. Anyway,

As far as hard speakers to drive.. I was checking out some Polk RTI12's that are on closeout. And in my price range, I've read a few reviews saying they are hard to drive. any truth to that? As far as the towers go, I would like to stay in the $1300.00-1400.$ dollar a pair range. I understand for that price I wont get a premium speaker. but, for me and my guests I think it will suffice. Any recommendations and brand models that are "hard to drive"?

Jerid

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for the wise advise.

I'm not unhappy with the Yamaha. I figured it would make a nice surprise for my father. His AVR is a cheap Sony, that I don't even know the model #... And. if I did upgrade AVR's I would wait till the current models are rebated when the newest come out. Anyway,

As far as hard speakers to drive.. I was checking out some Polk RTI12's that are on closeout. And in my price range, I've read a few reviews saying they are hard to drive. any truth to that? As far as the towers go, I would like to stay in the $1300.00-1400.$ dollar a pair range. I understand for that price I wont get a premium speaker. but, for me and my guests I think it will suffice. Any recommendations and brand models that are "hard to drive"?

Jerid
Looking at the specs at Polk, this speaker is rated at 8 Ohms and 90 dB sensitivity. If you have a sub, I seriously doubt it is a hard speaker to drive.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would go with the 4520 for the XT32, and power output comparable to the much heavier Onkyo plus better reliability track record. The Yamaha is likely the best in terms reliabiltiy but it does not have Audyssey XT32 (complete with SubEQ, DEQ as well). Of course this is just my biased opinion. All 3 units you are looking at are fine choices. Aside from lack of balanced output, and that it is an AVR, the 4520 is essentially an AV8801 plus amps, and I love my 8801.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
First pick the L, R speakers, then the receiver. As mentioned earlier, budget more for the speakers than the receiver. No point using a $1500 receiver to drive $500 speakers. It should be the reverse.

B

Blackhawk95

Enthusiast
Ok, A lot of the non professional reviews I've read about those Polk Rti12's is, everyone say there hard to drive or soaks up a lot of power. I guess since it has so many drivers, is why they say that..

Jerid

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
If your not opposed to used there are a pair of Focal 826s demos on audiogon. As for the amp question, no need to upgrade the avr (especially for those speakers, and if a sub is involved) add an external amp if you feel your lacking (ie 250watts+ per channel) power. Upgrading 25-30 watts a channel isnt gonna do it. You would have to have an increase of 6dbs or more to "double" the loudness.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Yamaha AVR is good. Keep it.

I don't consider Polk to be an upgrade from the Definitive SM350. They are probably both good, but more of a sideway move, not upgrade.

Think Revel Performa, KEF R-series, RBH SX & Reference series, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis