K

Keith_t4e

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I'll use this for mostly CDs and radio listening.  I've decided on booze 301s.  How important is it to maintain consistancy in my sepperates-----all Kenwood or Sony etc.  I'm considering Kenwood, Sony, Onkyo only because all that is around here is circuit city and best buy.  Which one is the best for listening to music.  Should I absolutely get an eq?  thank you for your feedback.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>First of all you might want to do some more comparing by listening. B-o-o-z-e might not be your best option. You may find better sounding speakers for less money.
I would recommend you build piece by piece with the high end of the products you mentioned. I guarantee you'll be happier in the long run. Personally, I'm not real impressed by Sony, even their ES line. Although they have other good separates, I dont think receivers are their strong suit. If you can find a Good Guys store around go check out Denon &amp; Yamaha. If not, I've heard good things about Onkyo &amp; Kenwood.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who have more experience than I, so stick around, have some patience, &amp; I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advice.</font>

K

Keith_t4e

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>thank you. &nbsp;obviously I meant booze 301s. &nbsp;Although they are 328 bucks, they do fill the room. &nbsp;I listen to so many different genres. &nbsp;The booze should sound good with all of them. &nbsp;I'm not going for high end stuff because of the money and I don't really listen to mucis at home all that much. &nbsp;I'm not familiar with Denon at all. &nbsp;I am hearing good things about Onkyo on here. &nbsp;I used to have a Kenwood amp, so I'm a litle partial to them, but that was years ago. &nbsp;I'm not feeling Sony or Yamaha either. &nbsp;Feedback on the EQ please. &nbsp;thank you</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>You'll find that the word &quot; B--o-s--e- is not a favorite on this forum &amp; for good reason. As far as an EQ goes, I would save my money &amp; apply it to the receiver. Most people feel that an EQ is just masking another problem (poor room acoustics, sub-par speakers, receiver,etc.) &amp; I happen to agree. If you're not that serious about what you listen to then I guess your options are wide open.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Just my personal preferences based on nearly 30 years in the Hi-Fi Hobby:

(1) &nbsp;Unless the EQ is parametric you're better off without them. &nbsp;It is the objective of any home hi-fi reproduction to playback the sound of a source as it was recorded. &nbsp;While adminttedly, your room accostics will color what gets to your ears, using an EQ will not restore the original frequency reponses but will further color the sound. &nbsp;Most, if not all high-end equipment don't even have tone controls!!!

But if you insist on getting one, make sure it's a parametric EQ &nbsp;with controls on frequency centering and the Q factor or the way each frequency is boosted or attenuated. Such EQs are rather expensive and usually are marketed for studio gurus. &nbsp; Don't go for those fancy graphic equalizers with spectrum displays. &nbsp;They are just comlicated tone controls that shift the phases of each frequeny they control. &nbsp;

(2) &nbsp;Many Onkyo receivers out there are the multi-channel types. &nbsp;I have yet to see a new mnodel that is purely Stereo. &nbsp;If you can get hold of an Onkyo Integra or Integra Research models, go for them. &nbsp;I think their stereo models are of the separate preamp and power amp types. &nbsp;Consider also some pre-owned stereo stuff. &nbsp;Many expensive stereo models were owned by careful hobbyists and usually were disposed only because the owners have a constant cash cow to upgrade often. &nbsp;And many stereo preamps and power amps can last virtually a lifetime, their technologies hardly getting any revolutionary advances over the years. &nbsp;So no need to get new model stereo gears.

(3) &nbsp;Seriously perish any thought of geting b-o-o-z-e speakers. &nbsp;I know of no serious hi-fi sterep enthusiast using one. &nbsp;It's overpriced for its performance. &nbsp;Period. &nbsp;

If you had to invest at all, invest on speakers. &nbsp;They, together with a good power amp, can and should last many years, if not a lifetime and become heirlooms even. &nbsp;There are excellent models in KEF, Mission, Mordaunt-Short, B&amp;W, Tannoy, Jamo, that are in the same or below the price range of that b__se. &nbsp;Check out the internet for speaker reviews.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I would agree with the other posters that it might be a good idea to junk the booze idea. &nbsp;For $300 plus the 301s are underperforming and overpriced. &nbsp;In some ways , this model is probably the least offensive in the booze line up but you'd do better with almost any &quot;name&quot; manufacturer. &nbsp;The bang for the buck Canadian speakers such as Paradigm and PSB are considerably better values than booze. &nbsp;On the stereo receiver front , I bought an Onkyo TX-8211 stereo receiver for my elderly father. &nbsp;Personally , for 2-channel music , I think this unit sounds better than the Yamaha RX-596 that I tried and returned ( for considerably less ). &nbsp;IMO , stereo receivers from Marantz , Harmon Kardon , and NAD are more musical than any of the Sony/Denon/Yamaha units that I've listened to - The difference between the Onkyo referenced above and ( for example ) a Technics stereo receiver is close to night and day. I would encourage you to listen to as many as you can as your ear may not have the same likes and dislikes.</font>

K

Keith_t4e

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>thanks a buch. &nbsp;I've changed my mind and decided to get a reciever with 5 chanels or so. &nbsp;That way should a choose, I can listen to DVDs etc. &nbsp;There is a Denon dealer near here in New Bern NC. &nbsp;I'll probably look real close at them. &nbsp;I'll also check out Boston Acoustic speakers. &nbsp;I'm open.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I just purchased some cambridge sound works M80's and they sound great. I got them at hifi.com for 339.00 a pair and for the price you can't go wrong. They have great high and mid range with a good low end. they have a 45 day listening period if for any reason you don't like them you can return them no questions asked. however I dont think that will be the case. They integrated very nice into my home theater as well I would match these speaker against models 3 times as much any day.  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

joyce

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Keith,

Just remember these words,no highs no lows must be a booze. There's alot of good receivers out there, that's something I think your going to have to decide for yourself. 28 years ago a friend turned me onto Marantz a 2240B to be exact and it hasn't missed a beat yet. So naturally that is my all time favorite. also have a Yamaha which has provided alot of great sound. It seems like your shooting for straight audio, so I would steer clear of the A/V type and go for a good straight and true audio receiver, and in case you want to add an amp somewhere down the road, be sure it has a pre-out.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;GOOD LUCK!</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Keith_t4e : I'll use this for mostly CDs and radio listening.  I've decided on booze 301s.  How important is it to maintain consistancy in my sepperates-----all Kenwood or Sony etc.  I'm considering Kenwood, Sony, Onkyo only because all that is around here is circuit city and best buy.  Which one is the best for listening to music.  Should I absolutely get an eq?  thank you for your feedback.
Here's some advice coming from a 2 channel pro. Dump the EQ idea all together. The correct mix you should be listening to is on the recording. An EQ can be useful with some recordings if used very carefully, but most people don't know how to use them, and any serious audio purist would never use one. Less is more sometimes. Sony recievers are junk, as they sound like crap and won't allow you to hear the music in pure 2 channel, at least since I last checked. Sony cd/dvd players are pretty good on the other hand and I've never had any problem matching them with other makes. For the money a normal person would spend on a cheap multi-channel amp, go for an integrated stereo amp instead. That's a amp without the tuner built in. You'd have to buy a separate tuner for radio though.  NAD makes one of the best there is for the money, the 320 BEE for $399. This amp has been highly praised by every publication I've read and my own experience with it has been wonderful. It's a 50 watt 2 channel amp and has the basic tone controls which you can bypass if you want to. Rotel is also a great lower budget high-end make that I'm fond of. They make a 40 watt integrated amp called the RA-02 that's also been highly praised. Yamaha also makes a more powerful integrated amp that's about $100 more then the NAD, but I haven't heard it or read any reviews on it. All of these companies also make a stereo receiver that has the tuner built in, but they may or may not perform as well. I'd hate to see you be limited to Best Buy/Circuit City as your only resource. Check the internet and your area for local dealers who may carry these products I've mentioned. Check your options, and make sure you can return a component to the dealer you bought it from if not satisfied, as there are a few stuck up snooty dealers who feel you don't have the right to return anything to them just because they have a &quot;high-end shop&quot;, and don't be turned off by the low watts on these amps I've told you about. Unless you have a very large room you won't need the extra power. The lower watted amps actually run quieter than the bigger ones so you don't hear that &quot;hiss&quot; noise. The dealers will always try to sell you the biggest and most powerful, of course at a much higher price, but you'd be surprised at how loud 50 or 40 watts can sound. The benifets of having a 2 channel system is you can still enjoy sacd or dvd audio, and still watch movies in great stereo sound, for a lot less money and hassle of setting up a multi-channel system, IF it's done right. The wife or girlfriend will probably like it more too!
  P.S. booze sucks by the way. I wonder if this company is ran by women? They seem to be far more interested in hiding their sound then showing it!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Not sure I agree with the advice to forget multichannel (I'm eager to try it!), but besides that quibble all I can add is &quot;what they said&quot;. Lots of good affordable speaker choices out there besides B**E. A few were mentioned here: browse the Speaker forum for other ideas.

I'm not big on insisting that all one's electronics need be from the same mfr., and I'm skeptical of &quot;synergy&quot;.

Back to multichannel, though. If budget is a concern (duh!), there's a lot to be said for getting the most kick-a** stereo setup you can manage now, and upgrade to multichannel later. Look for an integrated amp or reciever that has preamp inputs (most do these days). Then you can run your multichannel pre-pro thru it &nbsp;for two channels, and get power amps as needed for the others. A number of companies make three-channel power amps for that purpose (assuming 5.1).

Look for good used late-model stuff on eBay (be careful there!) or Audiogon and elsewhere to stretch your dollar. There are lots of 'philes who have to have the latest thing every year or two, so you benefit from their neurosis!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>You should be able to get HK at Circuit City. They have it here. You can get NAD at Yawa online. I got a Yamaha from one of those sites with no warranty. I saved big bucks &amp; got what I wanted, but I would not recommend doing that. I like the sound of the Yamaha's the best. Either you love 'em, or you don't. Yawa is authorized to sell NAD on the web with full warranty. I got my MB Quart speakers from them. These people are even open on Sundays. They stay open late too! I will buy all of my audio from them in the future. I found them after I had bought my receiver and dvd player, but was able to get my speakers from them. The MB Quart come with a 30 day in home satisfaction guarantee, and a FULL 5 year warranty! These speakers sound similar, IMO, to B&amp;W and Monitor Audio for a fraction of the cost. I just love 'em!

Hope this helps!</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Keith_t4e : <font color='#000000'>I'll use this for mostly CDs and radio listening.  I've decided on booze 301s.  </font>
<font color='#000000'>For reasons I'd rather not go into, I've been living with booze 301's for the last year (now thankfully replaced)- Now I love music and love listening to music. &nbsp;With these speakers, I simply stopped listening for anything except background. It was simply too unpleasant. On the plus side, the very factors that make music sound like mud, are very good for home theater, and it was surprising how decent movies sounded. &nbsp;If one was **ONLY** interested in setting a a budget HT, and could get 301's at a good price, they would work.

But for audio, and speaking as one who had no alternative for a bit over a year- they are everything that everyone else says they are. &nbsp;Assuming that this isn't a troll- it simply wouldn't matter which receiver you got.</font>

K

Keith_t4e

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>thanks for all the feedback. &nbsp;I'm going to check out Denon tomorow. &nbsp;the same place has Boston A. and Klipsche sp.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I have heard the Klipsch. Don't even waste your time. I tested the top of the line RF-7's with and without all the matching surround speakers. Very disappointed! VERY! If you like the Bostons, just add some killer treble, and that is &nbsp;MB Quart!</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Keith,

I strongly urge you to visit Axiom Audio for a different audio buying experience. Great speakers and customer service at a great price(be sure to visit the informative and fun message board there too).

As far as electronics goes, try to find an Ulitmate Electronics or Tweeter store as and alternative to BB &amp; CC. Forget the EQ and the B**e and concentrate on getting the best speakers for the money and then sometime in the future you could start to build on better electronics</font>

K

Keith_t4e

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>yes, I've been to Axiom's site. &nbsp;The look great. &nbsp;Selling directly allows them to sell at a good price. &nbsp;It is hard to buy something you can't hear first though.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If you're limited to CC or Worst Buy, then that will minimize your choices. &nbsp;You didn't say what your budget was. &nbsp;Matched components don't mean anything other than the fact that the remote is already programmed for all components and the looks match. &nbsp;You don't need or want an EQ. &nbsp;HK or Onkyo (the 601 on up has a Pure Audio mode for music) as the 2 best receiver lines that CC caries. &nbsp;You can get a Panasonic SA-XR25 there too. &nbsp;It's not as good as the XR45 though, but it's still good. &nbsp;Your budget will determine what you can get. &nbsp;You can always find a better deal off the net on something. &nbsp;You have to start somewhere. &nbsp;Everything sounds different in your home than at the showroom. &nbsp;If you are really wanting it for mostly stereo music then search for a Panasonic SA-XR45 on the net. &nbsp;It's one of the best receivers on the market for sound quality under $2000 and you should be able to get it for around $300 if you can find one. &nbsp;Everyone is back ordered on them. If you do a few mods to it, the sound gets even better. &nbsp;Plus it does HT for later when you get more speakers. &nbsp;Pick up one of those and do some more research on some speakers. &nbsp;Polk and Infinity are better speakers than Bozo. &nbsp;Spend your money on those and forget the Bozo 301's if you have to buy from CC</font>

U

Unregistered

Keith,

Don't let the audiophiles stamp your EQ idea into the ground. It's all hogwash. Every band, mixer, record producer uses them. Everything you have ever listened to has been equalized by somebody at some point. No reason you can't too, to your tastes. My interest in EQ is to attempt to overcome deficiencies of circa 60's and 70's recordings, including those reissued as "digitally remastered." If they don't go back to the original multi-track tapes (which is a lot of work and very expensive and results in a different mix) the sound will be no better more often than not. I am convinced that broadcast radio has taken to EQing their recordings for broadcast to give them a consistent sound or feel. I hear things that have obviously been improved upon (and that any objective listener would agree with) but aren't commercially available. I would agree with others that today's recordings generally do not need EQ so it is better to focus on the other components if that is the problem.

There are scores of equalizers out there because, as I said, everyone, except apparently audiophiles, uses them. You can get an analog or digital dual channel 1/3 octave (33 band) EQ that is suitable for stereo. Some of the most recent digital EQs are equipped with digital I/O (a definite plus when working with CDs) and the best of them have memory features where you can fine tune your adjustments and retain them for later use. Look at the Alesis 230D or Behringer 2496, both in the $400 range. If you don't want to preserve the digital path, analog EQs can be had for a third the cost. But without the memory, you cannot save your settings. As you probably know, if you stay in the stereo realm, an EQ is readily incorporated into your system using the tape monitor in/outs. There is nothing equivalent I am aware of in multichannel A/V receivers but then, as I said, I cannot see doing much EQ with todays' recordings, which would include true multi-channel SACD, DVD-Audio, DTS, etc. However, if you really wanted to do it, there's an 8 channel Alesis DEQ830 that presumably could handle 5.1 and higher formats. But with all the unfortunate but necessary DAC conversions going on, it might sound worse, even without much EQ.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I just bought the Axiom M60's.Have had them for 3 days & will be writing a review soon. 1st impression: Excellent speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis