Receivers at pawn shops?

P

Parasitic

Enthusiast
Hi, first post here.

I've been wanting to replace the current horrible sound setup for my TV for a while now. The floorstanding speakers are about 10 years old, the receiver is definitely much older (obviously 2-channel), and the other 2 speakers were given to me by a neighbor who didn't want them anymore.

I'm having problems trying to shop for a new setup because they seem to come with all sorts of unnecessary features I don't need, plus I already have a sub to go with whatever I'll end up with.

It's not like that I'll end up going with a fresh sound system with the whole package so my question is, how often do you guys see decent 5.1 receivers show up at pawn shops? That's the first thing I wanna start with considering that I'm using 4 speakers on a 2-channel receiver.

I never really stopped to look around at the one in walking distance of my house but I kinda wish I have been visiting.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Pawn shops rarely have current rec'rs and usually want too much money for the out of date stuff they do carry ... at least for the ones around me but there are always exceptions. Craigslist and eBay w/ local pick up is a better option to me so long as I'm not doing the deal in a parking lot. I like knowing where the seller lives.

Try going about your search by stating your budget and list the rec'rs you are considering from your local area. It sounds like you might benefit from a center and do you have or plan to get a Blu-ray player? What model are your floor standers?

J

jaymz

Enthusiast
I've never bought one at a pawn shop, but have bought several on eBay with no problems. Just be patient and a deal will come along eventually.

Jim

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I see older (but still usable) Sony 5.1 and HTIB (home theater in a box) receivers all the time in pawn shops and thrift stores. Thrift stores have better pricing because they rarely know what they are looking at. Always check out stores like these. You never know what you'll find.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would never suggest buying used electronics on ebay, but your local craigslist where you could test the stuff before paying is makes more sense to me

M

monsterman

Audioholic
What's your budget? Very often you can find pretty good deals through newegg that way you don't have to worry about pickup's and all that. Once you factor in fuel charges, stress, missing boxes ect it's almost better to just get one cheap from Newegg.
Otherwise Craigslist is the best place to find high-end gear for a low price. Chances are since this is your first post here you don't really know what you want, so let us help you.
Post budget, use, expectations, WAF (wife-acceptance-factor) "does your significant other need it to look nice", and room size.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would never suggest buying used electronics on ebay, but your local craigslist where you could test the stuff before paying is makes more sense to me
Even if you check it out and it dies soon after, you are out the money from a craigslist deal.

Ebay and paypal has checks set up to keep people honest. If the item makes it to you and it is not as advertised, then you can ship it back and paypal will re-imburse you. You are just out the return shipping.

When I purchase off of Ebay, I look for sellers with a feedback from 100-700 or so. That is a good clue that it is an individual and not a large warehouse shoveling electronics out the door.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis