Receiver: which one is best?

U

Unregistered

Ok it's subjective i guess. I can't demo them all so .....
Denon 3805 vs the Pioneer 56txi vs the Yamaha 2400
All have dolby IIx; thx for the Yamaha and Pioneer; The power seems the truest on the Pioneer? (No reviews yet). The soundfields for movies seem like the Yamaha. I-link on the Pioneer....On-line price seems like the Yam is much lower Denon next and Pioneer about $1100....... Help!!! Thanks for any input

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
I suppose that it comes down to what you want to use your receiver for. I listen to music 95% of the time, movies 5% and I recently auditioned all three of these receivers.

Flat out, I didn't like the sound of the Pioneer. It was the first of the three I listend to and after hearing it the first time I knew it wasn't the one for me. I can't give you any real specific reason why, I just didn't like it.

The guy at the audio store suggested the Yamaha if I wanted to use my receiver mainly for movies, but that wasn't a strong selling point for me (refer to afore-mentioned 5%). I found the stereo sound on the Yamaha to be inferior to the receiver I was replacing, so the Yamaha was out.

Luckily for me, I really, really liked the Denon. I had read a ton of very positive reviews about it (the best of which was on this site), and I found that for both movies and stereo it had a sound that just worked with me. In the spirit of full disclosure, I will admit that I am a little biased towards Denon in the first place. :)

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by "The power seems the truest on the Pioneer?", but the Denon puts out a lot of very clean power, and I have no complaints with it in this regard (if this is what you are talking about, if not just ignore this paragraph).

Good luck.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Buy what sounds best with the speakers of your choice, Yamaha can sound the most neutral when matched with the right speakers IMHO.

B

BasKas

I purchased the 56txi last week and have no complaints. I was able to audition the denon 3805 and 56txi in the store since they had them both connected to the speakers i own (Klipsch RF-5s). The pioneers sound was much cleaner to me than the denon. I also liked the fact that the pioneer has wider video bandwidth through component output. Both are great receivers, to me it depends mostly on the speakers you own or plan to own.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Confused by now, go buy what your ears, your speakers of choice tell you to get, you have to live with your purchase, at least for a time so make sure to get what sounds the best to you.

All the above brands you mention have good sound and quality, ultimately it depends upon your final perception of what is good sound.

U

Unregistered

The 3805 was recently tested by both HT and S&V mag. Its tested 1/2/5/7 outputs seemed reasonable (5X114.9 at 0.1%, 5X125W at 1%.

If you are concerned about the "true" power outputs of comparable Pioneer (55TXi only), HK, Denon (3805), and Yamaha (RX-V2400) receivers, a good link to some lab test results is: http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/

In terms of sound quality, yes, I agree with others that you would have to find out for yourselves.

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
try another first

I'd recommend that you listen to the HK AVR630 before buying. I mostly use mine for DVD and television viewing, but also for music videos and some CD's and find the sound incredible. It is paired with a Def Tech speaker system. To each his own, but you might find you like the sound as well or better and save yourself $200-400 in the process. Good luck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis