Receiver vs 2ch stereo

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Right now I'm using an Integra dtr 7.8 for 2.0 with my ultras, contemplating ditching it for an Integra dtm 40.7

What are your thoughts?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Right now I'm using an Integra dtr 7.8 for 2.0 with my ultras, contemplating ditching it for an Integra dtm 40.7
What are your thoughts?
What do you expect to happen with the change?
pewternhrata
I'm with lovinthehd, "what do you expect to happen?"

Both units are current technology from the same vendor. 5 watts to the speakers from either one will sound just like the other. If you think you're burning more than 5 watts, perhaps you either have a need you haven't expressed or you misunderstand how much power gets actually used on any given day.

Tell us a bit about "why" you'd want to replace one pretty nice unit with another pretty nice unit from the same vendor to run a 2.0 channel stereo. If its just the upgrade itch, well, upgrade away I'm sure it will sound fine. Most people would be surprised, as I was, when I found out how little power is actually used at the most common listening levels. Tell us something about your listening.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Only real reason is to get something smaller, the 7.8 is huge. The power on paper on the 7.8 looks awesome, however I know I don't need anything near that. The dac in the 40.7 is a huge upgrade, however I'm not 100% sure I would ever utilize it, even the dac in the 7.8 is probably wayy more sufficient than I need. The app control seems interesting. I don't have to do anything but was offered $240 for the 7.8 which puts me in this place. Basically the size would better suit my setup. any added benefits to the bigger dac, app control, streaming services, hi res audio? Open to other integrated or stereo amps as well. Was also looking at the emotiva ta-100.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Only real reason is to get something smaller, the 7.8 is huge. The power on paper on the 7.8 looks awesome, however I know I don't need anything near that. The dac in the 40.7 is a huge upgrade, however I'm not 100% sure I would ever utilize it, even the dac in the 7.8 is probably wayy more sufficient than I need. The app control seems interesting. I don't have to do anything but was offered $240 for the 7.8 which puts me in this place. Basically the size would better suit my setup. any added benefits to the bigger dac, app control, streaming services, hi res audio? Open to other integrated or stereo amps as well. Was also looking at the emotiva ta-100.
makes sense to me. there are quite a number of smaller footprint amps. space matters sometimes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After I last posted I was also wondering about the size being a possible factor....otherwise the capabilities are pretty similar it seems...didn't look but why is the dac a "huge" upgrade? Network functionality is nice, tho doesn't the 7.8 already have some?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
After I last posted I was also wondering about the size being a possible factor....otherwise the capabilities are pretty similar it seems...didn't look but why is the dac a "huge" upgrade? Network functionality is nice, tho doesn't the 7.8 already have some?
40.7 is 384k/32 bit, supports DSD 5.6 MHz
7.8 is 192k/24 bit, dsp 32 bit x3

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
At $250, this refurbished unit is probably one of the better deals on a compact unit!
Make sure it has the features you would want.
It is rated 50WPC at 4 Ohms (which is what the Ultras are IIRC).
It is not a stereo unit, but I might think you would want to reserve the possibility of good bass management should you decide to go 2.1. The Ultra BS probably does well enough in a small room.
Wireless and measures 17.1 x 2.8 x 12.8" .

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsxs520/pioneer-vsx-s520-5.1-ch-x-50-watts-slim-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would always buy an AVR, instead of a stereo receiver, unless I needed something really small like that little Pioneer receiver.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Curious, what would be the actual advantage of the dac? My SACDs are 2.8MHz DSD, so what good does that do?
That's why I'm asking...if I play sacd @ 2.8mhz dsd through my 7.8 I'm not getting sacd quality playback, the dac can't pass it so my sacd will be limited to cd quality, maybe a tad higher.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's why I'm asking...if I play sacd @ 2.8mhz dsd through my 7.8 I'm not getting sacd quality playback, the dac can't pass it so my sacd will be limited to cd quality, maybe a tad higher.
Why can't a dsd capable dac not pass 2.8 MHZ dsd? That's the lowest for dsd, so all dsd capable dac should be able to handle it. Unless you are talking about something else?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Why can't a dsd capable dac not pass 2.8 MHZ dsd? That's the lowest for dsd, so all dsd capable dac should be able to handle it. Unless you are talking about something else?
This is one of the questions I'm trying to get an answer to lol. The 7.8 does not look to be dsd compatible.

I'm good with power ratings I know what I need with that.
Is the 7.8 running 'old' dacs that don't support new "hi res" DSD or am I not seeing that spec listed anywhere on Integras site. Will the 40.7 be more current and up to date with audio play back on high res formats? The 40.7 looks to have higher rated dacs, dsd, or am I wrong?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hate to disappoint, but the Pioneer is a 5.1 AVR:p
I’m losing, man. Not too long ago I recommend those Pioneer AVR to someone who was looking for small AVR.

And now I forgot they are AVR. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd rather have a nice integrated stereo unit myself ......
I’ve used and owned just about every type of gears.

These days, just give me a nice quality AVR like the $1,000 Denon X3000 series.

I currently use the $7,500 Denon AVP-A1 pre-pro + ATI Amps. I’m not sure they sound significantly better than the X3000 AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is one of the questions I'm trying to get an answer to lol. The 7.8 does not look to be dsd compatible.

I'm good with power ratings I know what I need with that.
Is the 7.8 running 'old' dacs that don't support new "hi res" DSD or am I not seeing that spec listed anywhere on Integras site. Will the 40.7 be more current and up to date with audio play back on high res formats? The 40.7 looks to have higher rated dacs, dsd, or am I wrong?
Sorry, thought earlier you actually had a dsd spec on the 7.8. I just looked at the manual and it indicates it handles dsd, altho I didn't see if it was standard 2.8 or the potential use of 5.6 (which as far as I can tell is one of those specs that actually has no real world application).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis