Receiver tripping circuit breaker tech help

U

ugloth

Audiophyte
Good day all,

Wanted to ask if anyone might know the cause. Have a Pioneer Elite which plays fine with inputs from Ipod and BlueRay Disk(HDMI), but when switched to HDMI 1(Direct TV) it trips the room's circuit breaker. If I switch the outlet to any other one in the room does the same thing. Using an extension cord from another room solely to the receiver and no issue.

Had the same set up for 18 months with no previous issues, just started tripping the breaker recently. Would it solely be the receiver’s fault or could a faulty Direct TV box be causing the surge?

Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good day all,

Wanted to ask if anyone might know the cause. Have a Pioneer Elite which plays fine with inputs from Ipod and BlueRay Disk(HDMI), but when switched to HDMI 1(Direct TV) it trips the room's circuit breaker. If I switch the outlet to any other one in the room does the same thing. Using an extension cord from another room solely to the receiver and no issue.

Had the same set up for 18 months with no previous issues, just started tripping the breaker recently. Would it solely be the receiver’s fault or could a faulty Direct TV box be causing the surge?

Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Two possibilities.

1). There is too much load on that circuit. I doubt it is a dedicated circuit. When the breaker throws, what else goes off besides your HT?

2). The breaker may be faulty and need replacement.

Answer 1 is much more likely, and the circuit you are using is overloaded.

Really HT requires a dedicated circuit, and in some rigs more than one to function properly.

If possible, have an electrician install a dedicated circuit for you HT.

If that is not feasible, then you need to reduce the load on that circuit, like going to lower wattage bulbs and unplugging devices form other outlets on that circuit.

J

jcmccorm

Audioholic Intern
Are you on a circuit protected by GFI? Is it a GFI circuit breaker? You could be on a GFI and when plugging in the HDMI you are creating a ground fault. This only applied if the TV (or anything else connected to it) is on a separate circuit.

Cary

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Suggestions:

1. Are you overloading the circuit? Is the outlet you used from another room on a different circuit? If you are pushing the ampacity and you have an old breaker, it may be tripping prematurely.

2. Do you have arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCI)? A faulty/miswired afci can cause grief.

U

ugloth

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback all.

Was concerned because everything worked fine for 18 months and just started recently. If it’s just a house circuit breaker issue I can deal with that, was worried something shorted in the receiver. 2009 built house and I had to swap out another circuit breaker to meet a treadmills requirements for power.

I don't know the specifics on the types of circuit breakers, currently deployed and helping the wife troubleshoot from afar.

E

edprados

Audiophyte
having same issue with direcTV receivers and arc faults

i am experiencing the same issues that you describe. i got home yesterday and my wife told me that the lights in the guest bedroom were out. reset the arc fault and after about 10 minutes it was tripped again, unplugged the power strip going to the tv, direcTV box and printer, problem went away...........

got home today, wife says tv in master bedroom out, arc fault breaker also tripped..........removed the coax connections from both direc tv receivers and so far nothing has tripped..........................any suggestions?

nothing has changed since we moved in in july of 2010.....have 4 receivers, 2 older models (not HD, one dvr one standard STB) to hd boxes seem to work fine, only one of them is on an arc fault breaker:confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis