Receiver sub output

F

Fluid

Enthusiast
Noob question (perhaps)

Do all AV receivers provide a non amplified output for the sub, or only some?

Thanks

Edit*

Ok I think I have this answered now. Just let me know if I have this correct.

The sub pre-out connection sends an un-amplified signal to the sub, allowing a powered sub to amplify the signal?

Thanks

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Correct.

The sub pre-out connection sends an un-amplified signal to the sub, allowing a powered sub to amplify the signal.

That LFE/Subwoofer signal is the .1 part of a 5*.1 system.

* or 6, 7, or whatever

F

Fluid

Enthusiast
Thanks,

I have some logitech z-5500's and am rather sick of the control pod not allowing me to connect a bunch of things to it.

I just want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly.

My plan is to buy an AV receiver and connect the speakers through that, but connecting the sub was worrying me as the only way to send a signal to the sub was through the controller and i did not wan to amplify the signal twice.

So if i connect the speakers to the receiver and then connect the controller to the sub pre-out port, the speakers and sub will all run nicely?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Logitechs are a different animal.

That "sub" is not really a sub at all.

A true powered subwoofer contains only the amplifier for the subwoofer, and perhaps an adjustable crossover as well.

Your Logitech "sub", I believe, contains all the amplifiers for all the other speakers in the system as well along with a preset crossover, which may be set at an unusually high number. Many times, these "systems" also limit the low end going to the satellite speakers to preserve them.

This creates two possible situations:

1) Integrating the sub only into a "real" HT receiver may be a challenge.

2) If you use the satellite speakers on an "real" HT receiver without their low end limited, there may be problems.

F

Fluid

Enthusiast
Thanks for your advice.

I was really hoping to gradually swap out the components as I went along.

Looks like I will have to come up with some other plan...

Fluid

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis