Receiver/Speaker matching: Will this work/are there any major issues?

C

Currior

Audiophyte
Hello, relative newbie here. I currently own a Sony STRDN1060 receiver. After my own research (and some auditioning) I've decided to go with Polk speakers, so now I want to know if I've matched everything correctly and if everything should work properly with my receiver.

The panel on the back of the STRDN1060 instructs me to use speakers with a 6-16 Ohm impedance. So what I'm thinking for 5.1 sound is:

Center: Polk Audio CS20 Center Channel Speaker

Front: 2 x Polk Audio Monitor-65T

Rear: 2 x Polk Audio RTI A1

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW10

Will all of this work with the receiver? Is anything terribly mismatched? Have I missed any considerations?

I thank you in advance!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Receiver and speaker matching is petty much a construct of marketing and wishful thinking.

As long as your speakers have adequate clean power to drive them, your speakers contribute 99.9 percent of the final result.

You've got more than enough power to get the best these speakers can deliver.

This does presume that all your speakers fall within that 6 - 16 ohm requirement.

C

Currior

Audiophyte
Thanks - I think you've give me what I need to know. :)

As far as matching goes, I really meant, have I done something obviously wrong like select rear speakers that are woefully underpowered compared to the front speakers.

And as for the receiver/speaker thing, I wanted to be sure I hadn't selected speakers that the receiver couldn't drive, which you've answered.

I'm going to see if I can go audition everything together and then take the plunge. Speakers are all in that 6-16 range.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Speakers don't "generate' power. They simply take whatever power is generated by the amplifier and turn it into sound. And, those "watts" you see on speakers is the maximum they can absorb. This is not what you need to drive them. Its a maximum number recommended by the mfgr You don't "need" that much to get crazy loud sound from them.

Its kinda like you have tires rated for 150 mph. You don't have to drive that fast to get the maximum performance from them.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Looks good but my only concern is the matching of the speakers. Although they are all Polk, are they all the same series using the same type of drivers? Multi channel sound works MUCH better when all the speakers are matched using the same series and drivers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW you don't need to have a sub of the same brand as speakers....and there are much better subs available than that PSW10.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Looks good but my only concern is the matching of the speakers. Although they are all Polk, are they all the same series using the same type of drivers? Multi channel sound works MUCH better when all the speakers are matched using the same series and drivers
that's a different issue entirely. Generally, manufacturers will denotes matching components by a similarity in their names. For instance, For instance, I did a search on "Polk Audio Monitor Series center speaker" and this was returned:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Channel-Speaker/product-reviews/B0002MPMAE

You might want to try a search using that logic for all the speakers you've selected, you might want to communicate with Polk straight from the horses mouth, or whatever part of the horse disseminates it.directly to get answers.

If that doesn't work, perhaps commu

Last edited:
M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
It all looks good to me. As long as you are happy with the sound, that is all that matters. You made no error or anything like that. Peace and goodwill.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis