MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
I've heard of these DVD's a person can buy to assist in the setup of their HT system.
1. Are these things worth anything?

2. If so, which ones and where do I get them?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
AVIA is a good start.

I've used the AVIA Guide to Home Theater with excellent results. You will need a SPL meter for any of these DVD's be of any real use. The AVIA one allows you to level match all your speakers, check your crossover points, and in room response. It also allows you to check timber matching and phase alignment. It also provides test patterns and filters to calibrate your TV or monitor. Basically it will allow you to get the most out your system without paying a professional to come calibrate system for you. Well, worth the money IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/630551982X/103-7704118-8219842?v=glance $37.46

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
You can use the THX optimizer on DVD's like the Star Wars trilogy or King Arthur to get a modest version of the same results.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have been using the Avia for about a year now and I don't know how I lived without it! IMHO it is essential to have a good reference for calibrating both audio and video, if you don't utilize profesional technitians. Most recievers come with preprogrammed test tones and such, but they don't really work as well as playing test equipment through your A/V source unit. The Avia is a great tool for DIY H/T buffs. I think I got my DVD for like $15 or $20 bucks on amazon I think.

This product has my thumbs up!

B

bros400pgm

Enthusiast
I have the Yamaha's optimizer microphone. Is it as good as the avia a/v calibration cd?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
If you are good at calibrating audio video equipment IMO it is better than YPAO. I say "good" because it takes keen eyes and ears to do these types of test and adjustments. Also the Avia is a full audio and VIDEO calibration disk. My set looked soooo much better after proper calibration. It also is packed with usefull stuff like placement guides and troubleshooting.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Maybe...maybe not

bros400pgm said:
I have the Yamaha's optimizer microphone. Is it as good as the avia a/v calibration cd?
YAPO has been known to make mistakes, but then again so have people trying to use a dvd to calibrate thier system...

But for 70-80 dollars needed to get a SPL meter and the DVD you can have piece of mind in know everything is set properly, or at least allow you choose which sounds better to your ears. The DVD also gives you the added bonus of video calibration which alone is worth the $35 cost of the DVD.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=109179001

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_007_002_014_000&Page=1

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
If you have a netflix account you can rent DVE (digital video essentials) from them

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis