S

slamking18

Enthusiast
Hi, I am in the process of building a house and I am wanting to set up a 6.1 surround sound system in my 15' x 23' great room which has a vaulted ceiling. I am wanting a receiver comparible to the Onkyo TX-SR701. My problem is that I am only finding 7.1 receivers that have the options I am wanting. (IE: THX certified, dual zone capable as I am putting 2 speakers at my outside patio., etc.) My first question is what recievers do you guys recommend me getting for a 6.1 system with the options I am wanting and with a reasonable cost. My next question is, If I were to buy a 7.1 receiver, is it possible to hook it up for a 6.1 setup and it still sound as good as a 6.1 receiver? If so, please explain how.

Thanks for your help guys.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
slamking18 said:
Hi, I am in the process of building a house and I am wanting to set up a 6.1 surround sound system in my 15' x 23' great room which has a vaulted ceiling. I am wanting a receiver comparible to the Onkyo TX-SR701. My problem is that I am only finding 7.1 receivers that have the options I am wanting. (IE: THX certified, dual zone capable as I am putting 2 speakers at my outside patio., etc.) My first question is what recievers do you guys recommend me getting for a 6.1 system with the options I am wanting and with a reasonable cost. My next question is, If I were to buy a 7.1 receiver, is it possible to hook it up for a 6.1 setup and it still sound as good as a 6.1 receiver? If so, please explain how.

How much scratch are you willing to lay out?

S

slamking18

Enthusiast
I am really unsure as of now.. I was thinking of maybe between $400-800 for a receiver

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
slamking18 said:
I am really unsure as of now.. I was thinking of maybe between $400-800 for a receiver

Go with the denon 3805 that seems to be one that everyone raves about.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
slamking18 said:

Most receivers are going to be 7.1 now. They are 100% backwards compatible for 5.1 and 6.1. Just buy the one that has the features you want. You just don't want to buy a 5.1 receiver. I run a 6.1 speaker package and have a 7.1 receiver. No problem at all.

Shinerman

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
slamking18 said:
Hi, I am in the process of building a house and I am wanting to set up a 6.1 surround sound system in my 15' x 23' great room which has a vaulted ceiling. I am wanting a receiver comparible to the Onkyo TX-SR701.

First I love my Onkyo TX-SR701 for serveral reasons. 1st THX :D and along with the THX you get the THX DTS EX,cinemia and all other DD/DDEX/P.logic and so on. At about 100 watts per channel you can't go wrong. The price, if you went on ebay you could find a guy from Onkyo under ONKYOUSA who works from them selling old or returned units. I paid new for my on sale for $680. good luck

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Absolutely not a problem. Run 6.1 from a 7.1 receiver. I am doing that with my Yammi 2500. Sounds great and when I am ready to move to 7.1 I am all set. But I'll bet if you want 6.1 you can find a few deals. :)

S

slamking18

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys.. If the units are backwards compatible, how would you connect the unit for a 6.1 setup? Since there are 2 rear surounds, how do you hook it with only 1 rear center?

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I think what you would do is hook the Rear Center speaker to the Rear Surround Left terminal.

S

slamking18

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, but can someone that has a 7.1 receiver with 6.1 setup confirm that I hook everything else the same way and just use the rear surround left for the rear center? I just want to make sure.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
That is correct. The two rear center channels are using a matrixed singal anyhow, so there is really no such thing as 7.1 sound yet. You want a 7.1 receiver though when the recording industry recognizes this new format. In your price range, IMO, the Denon would be your best bet but is $100 out of your price range. You can get the Marantz SR8400 for under $600 which is right there in quality with the Denon. The Onkyo TXNR801 is also a pretty good buy now. The Yamaha 2500, a forum favorite and Denon competitior, is running under $700 shipped.

www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10344088

www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10360300

www.shopzilla.com/12--Denon_AVR_3805_7.1_CH_Receiver_-_cat_id--11070000__prod_id--11451033__sfsk--5

www.shopzilla.com/12--Yamaha_RX_V2500_6.1_CH_Receiver_-_cat_id--11070000__prod_id--260804071

T

trhalma

Enthusiast
i have an hk avr 235. it's a 7.1. the manual for it says it is not appropriate to configure it for 6.1 (just 5.1 or 7.1) it will interfere with the ez-set level calibration (which i guess isnt that big a deal, it can be done manually) and may put undesireable strain on the surround back amp circuits and power supplies. (p 14).
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=AVR 235&sType=C
i'm a newb so i dont know how important that really is.
apprarently one signal is split between the back r & back L output.
i did look at the avr 435 manual which is more in your price range and has dual room dual source (indep fr and rear power supplies) and the 6.1 warning about undesireable strain was not there.
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=AVR 435&sType=C
anyone have thoughts about creating strain on the amp by not having one output connected?

S

slamking18

Enthusiast
Well, I just dl'ed the Onkyo manual and checked it out.. It specifically says to connect the rear center to the rear surround left output if only using one rear speaker. It also states that when going through the auto setup the receiver will notice that only one rear speaker is being used and will adjust accordingly. Thanks for all the help guys.. I think I found my next receiver.. I am gonna go with the Onkyo TX-SR702.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis