Receiver Recommendation for a 3.1 or 5.1 channels

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
Hey guys. Whats your recommendation for an AV receiver if i only have 2 floor standing speaker. I’ll maybe upgrade to a 3.1 or a 5.1system in the future. I'm thinking of buying two Klipsch RP 8000F for my living room that is about 15Ft wide by 30Ft with 8Ft sealing height and i have no clue what to buy. Or if you guys have another suggestion on another speaker and receiver combo i would greatly appreciated it.
Thanks for your time. Stay safe

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of choices for suitable avr....what's your budget? As to what speakers, have you heard the 8000s? Or any others? Those speakers have been reviewed here on AH and as far as driving them goes from that review:

The above graphs show the electrical behavior of the Klipsch RP-8000F. Klipsch specifies this speaker with a nominal impedance “compatible with 8 ohms” which is a fairly ambiguous spec. I take that to mean you can safely use this speaker on amplifiers that are only rated for 8-ohm loads, and that is largely true. There isn’t much here that would be problematic for most amplifiers. The impedance minima occur at 160 Hz with 5.17 ohms, but the phase angle isn’t too severe. A more challenging point may be the port tuning frequency at 40 Hz which sees a 5.7-ohm impedance dip at a steep phase angle. That may be tough on feeble amplifiers if you crank them hard, but even an amp in a mid-range AVR should be able to handle these speakers without much of an issue. The use of a subwoofer here would make these speakers a much easier electrical load by alleviating the amplifier of having to power the port frequency range.

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
Lots of choices for suitable avr....what's your budget? As to what speakers, have you heard the 8000s? Or any others? Those speakers have been reviewed here on AH and as far as driving them goes from that review:

The above graphs show the electrical behavior of the Klipsch RP-8000F. Klipsch specifies this speaker with a nominal impedance “compatible with 8 ohms” which is a fairly ambiguous spec. I take that to mean you can safely use this speaker on amplifiers that are only rated for 8-ohm loads, and that is largely true. There isn’t much here that would be problematic for most amplifiers. The impedance minima occur at 160 Hz with 5.17 ohms, but the phase angle isn’t too severe. A more challenging point may be the port tuning frequency at 40 Hz which sees a 5.7-ohm impedance dip at a steep phase angle. That may be tough on feeble amplifiers if you crank them hard, but even an amp in a mid-range AVR should be able to handle these speakers without much of an issue. The use of a subwoofer here would make these speakers a much easier electrical load by alleviating the amplifier of having to power the port frequency range.
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking to upgrade, I haven't got much experience . Right now I have 2 Acoustic Research 318ps Standing Speaker Powered by a Sony STR-DH770 receiver (thats all the experience i have). I decided on the Klipsch RP 8000F because the AH recommendation on Youtube. My plan is to buy the Speakers first (the Klipsch) and later on buy a better receiver since the Sony that i have is less than 2 year old. Unless you guys recommend a better way to upgrade. I think i could run the Klipsch with the Sony but i'm not really sure either. Any advise ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Getting the speakers you want and using your current avr sounds like a good plan. What do you mean by better avr, though? What do you want the new avr to do that the Sony doesn't do? Same question for the speakers, have you compared what you have with the 8000Fs or other speakers?

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
Getting the speakers you want and using your current avr sounds like a good plan. What do you mean by better avr, though? What do you want the new avr to do that the Sony doesn't do? Same question for the speakers, have you compared what you have with the 8000Fs or other speakers?
The Speakers that i have ( the Acoustic research 318ps) are very old, have suffer a little water damage ( the MDF is starting to swell and is falling apart). I fear one of these days they are going to stop working. Looking for future replacement I found the Klipsch and since I'm going to invest in new speaker I figured that I had to invest in maybe the best sound and build quality that at the same time will last a long time. I'm just following AH recommendation since they know what they are talking about.
As to the AVR, I use it mostly for music, sometimes for movies and PS4. The sony sound "OK" I'm not 100% happy cause It have a lot of non sound related issues, but i have to work with what i got. I figure ( and maybe i'm wrong) that since i wanted a high quality speakers the receiver had to be up to par (again maybe I'm wrong).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Speakers that i have ( the Acoustic research 318ps) are very old, have suffer a little water damage ( the MDF is starting to swell and is falling apart). I fear one of these days they are going to stop working. Looking for future replacement I found the Klipsch and since I'm going to invest in new speaker I figured that I had to invest in maybe the best sound and build quality that at the same time will last a long time. I'm just following AH recommendation since they know what they are talking about.
As to the AVR, I use it mostly for music, sometimes for movies and PS4. The sony sound "OK" I'm not 100% happy cause It have a lot of non sound related issues, but i have to work with what i got. I figure ( and maybe i'm wrong) that since i wanted a high quality speakers the receiver had to be up to par (again maybe I'm wrong).
I don't know what your receiver might need to be up to par if you don't, it looks perfectly capable to drive the Klipsch....what are the non sound related issues?

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
I don't know what your receiver might need to be up to par if you don't, it looks perfectly capable to drive the Klipsch....what are the non sound related issues?
It, turn on randomly, sometimes it doesn't sound and one have to turn it off and on again and if your lucky it resolve the problem, if not one have to unplug it. The overall the EQ and sound modes are very difficult to manage

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on your needs and budget, the Denon 3500 has been on sale for a great price lately. It sounds like you should be looking at upgrading both... though if you can put up with the Sony a bit longer could delay that expenditure a little.
Newer models tend to release in Summer, though it will be interesting to see how conditions right now effect that schedule.

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
Depending on your needs and budget, the Denon 3500 has been on sale for a great price lately. It sounds like you should be looking at upgrading both... though if you can put up with the Sony a bit longer could delay that expenditure a little.
Newer models tend to release in Summer, though it will be interesting to see how conditions right now effect that schedule.
Thank You. When i decide to upgrade, Do you recommend a online store like Crutchfield or maybe go personally to a best buy or something like that?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Only go to BB/Mag if you need to or can get a good deal. Online stores are fine, just make certain you pay attention to their return policies. I ordered my Marantz over Amazon.
*shrugs
Other than cross country shipping, no biggy. ;)

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
Only go to BB/Mag if you need to or can get a good deal. Online stores are fine, just make certain you pay attention to their return policies. I ordered my Marantz over Amazon.
*shrugs
Other than cross country shipping, no biggy. ;)
Awesome, Thank you! Appreciate the help! Its difficult to make good decision with the poor knowledge that i have

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
AH recommends lots of speakers!

Klipsch has earned a reputation for having a certain sound due to the horn tweeters they use. Some folks love it and some, not so much. What I gather from that review is that these sound less forward (in a good way) than a lot of their other speakers.

That said, in that price range there are a lot of choices. You may well love the 8000s but I'd want to do some homework, maybe get out and do some listening (if possible) before pulling the trigger.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thank You. When i decide to upgrade, Do you recommend a online store like Crutchfield or maybe go personally to a best buy or something like that?
Crutchfield has a 60 day free return so you’ll have 60 days to play around with a new AVR.

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
AH recommends lots of speakers!

Klipsch has earned a reputation for having a certain sound due to the horn tweeters they use. Some folks love it and some, not so much. What I gather from that review is that these sound less forward (in a good way) than a lot of their other speakers.

That said, in that price range there are a lot of choices. You may well love the 8000s but I'd want to do some homework, maybe get out and do some listening (if possible) before pulling the trigger.
I personally like with speaker with great Bass. Would you say, the 8000 have good bass or it is more tweeter forward?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I personally like with speaker with great Bass. Would you say, the 8000 have good bass or it is more tweeter forward?
Not much more so than many others.
Will you be using subs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard them, but from the comments in the review and measurements it looks like they're pretty solid down to about 40 hz which is respectable.

If you like deep bass, I own the Ultra towers and they're solid down to 30 hz. They sound great up top too, I really love them. That said, I do still use a couple of subwoofers. If you REALLY like deep bass you can't beat a pair of subs.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome, for what they told me they have free shipping to where I live so that's a plus
They have the best return for audio/video, even if you don’t like it for any reason. Back in 2012 a had ordered a NAD Pre-Pro for 3K, I tried it out for a month and half Decided I didn’t like it. I called in got a service person they sent me a UPS shipping label to my email boxed it back up ran down to my Local UPS store, within 6 day’s money was back in my bank account. No affiliation at all Crutchfield, they have a very Generous return policy.

M

M.Ramos

Enthusiast
I haven't heard them, but from the comments in the review and measurements it looks like they're pretty solid down to about 40 hz which is pretty respectable.

If you like deep bass, I own the Ultra towers and they're solid down to 30 hz. They sound great up top too, I really love them. That said, I do still use a couple of subwoofers. If you REALLY like deep bass you can't beat a pair of subs.
Awesome! My wishlist is growing by the minute haha

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis