P

paulmac54

Audiophyte
Hey guys...new to the forum. Thanks for any help.

So I have a Yamaha receiver. Can't remember the model number. I can check when I get home. Its about 25 years old. My dad had bought it brand new. Worked great up until about a month ago.

Sometimes when I turn it on the right and left channel will be the same volume (low volume) then all the sudden the right channel will blast almost as loud as it can go. It will randomly go back down to the same volume as the left then go way back up again. It is completely random. I have had to turn the balance almost all the way to the left to prevent it from just blasting on its own. When it is blasting loud from the right channel, if you try to turn the volume up, it has pretty much no effect on the right channel (as it is almost as loud as it can go) but will turn the left channel up. Other times when I turn it on, the right channel is already blasting loud and the left channel can barely be heard. The right channel may go back down to the regular level only to go back up to blasting. I can't figure out what is going on.

I have taken it apart and blown compressed air all around the inside. Any idea what this might could be?

Thanks so much for any help!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Time to use some spray contact cleaner in the rotary controls, switches...
Over time they can oxidize internally and/or store some dust which can affect their operation..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

P

paulmac54

Audiophyte
Time to use some spray contact cleaner in the rotary controls, switches...
Over time they can oxidize internally and/or store some dust which can affect their operation..

Just my $0.02.. ;)
Think it could be that simple? Just get some of that and spray it in the rotary volume control? Why would it do only the right channel and not both?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Any of the switches, mode, inputs, tape monitors, volume, tone controls can cause these type of intermittent issues... Happens over time especially if product is not used frequently. Proper procedure is take the the time do them all, then try it... Here is a YouTube video to help U better understand the process..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW, according to hifiengine.com's page this stereo receiver was from 1998-2005. :) I'd try the suggestion of cleaning with deoxit, too.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
FWIW, according to hifiengine.com's page this stereo receiver was from 1998-2005. :) I'd try the suggestion of cleaning with deoxit, too.....
Yes, it is an old analog 2 channel receiver. It is old enough the deoxit stands a chance of working. The volume control might still be digital at that age though. So if so, that could be the problem and not easily repaired. If the volume knob turns when he uses the remote then it is likely analog, if it does not move then it is likely digital.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis