Receiver Preout, Integrated Amps & RCA cabling

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
Hey Guys,

Newbie here, hopefully I can get some answers . I have a few questions and hopefully they make sense.

1, if I use the preouts on the back of my Marantz receiver can I still use the speaker terminals?

2, on the integrated Amps should I set the volume at 50% and control the volume via the receiver control?

3, on my Centre Channel preout I only have 1 RCA output but want to run 2 Integrated amps from this. To 2 centre speakers, 1 at ear height and 1 at high level. Can I come out of the preout on an RCA male to 2 female and then from each of the females add an addition male to 2 males on each to biamp my centre channels? I hope this makes sense. Albeit the receiver only has a single out put I’m hoping to split this 2 4 RCA males, 2 into 1 Integrated amps and and 2 to another (splitting the signal) then I hope to be able to power the high and low frequencies of the centre channels from there respective amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
What are you trying to accomplish?
I’m hoping to setup an Auro 3D setup in the long run. I have an Atmos/DTS X receiver (Marantz SR7011) and am building my system over a period of time. I can at present create a 7.2.4 system I want to add a High L/R/C channels, S/R&L and R/S R&L but am trying to use preouts to Integrated amps so I can BiAmp the speakers that are capable.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Usually no harm comes from bi-amping, other than your budget. But it is generally regarded that passive bi-amping, if there is a measurable change in sound, isn’t audible to most. You are much better off just amping your speakers with good clean power adequate enough to provide yourself some good headroom for dynamic peaks in the programming you enjoy. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also, splitting channels is going to introduce some acoustic issues like comb filtering and delay problems.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Guys,

Newbie here, hopefully I can get some answers . I have a few questions and hopefully they make sense.

1, if I use the preouts on the back of my Marantz receiver can I still use the speaker terminals?

2, on the integrated Amps should I set the volume at 50% and control the volume via the receiver control?

3, on my Centre Channel preout I only have 1 RCA output but want to run 2 Integrated amps from this. To 2 centre speakers, 1 at ear height and 1 at high level. Can I come out of the preout on an RCA male to 2 female and then from each of the females add an addition male to 2 males on each to biamp my centre channels? I hope this makes sense. Albeit the receiver only has a single out put I’m hoping to split this 2 4 RCA males, 2 into 1 Integrated amps and and 2 to another (splitting the signal) then I hope to be able to power the high and low frequencies of the centre channels from there respective amps

1. Yes
2. The Marantz pre outs are for connection to a power amps inputs, or integrate amp's power amp section inputs (some integrated amps have them, but some don't). You can connect the pre outs to an integrated (if it does not have power amp section inputs) amp's line level inputs, but they are not designed for such use and I guess you know that already.
3. Yes you can do it, but it does not seem to make sense.

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
Also, splitting channels is going to introduce some acoustic issues like comb filtering and delay problems.
On an Auro 3D set up, how do u recreate this then as the setup runs on 3 levels. Ground/ear level (linear surround) mid level and high level (VOG) I can create the VOG via splitting my subwoofer preouts. Subwoofer preout 1 has a RCA male to 2 males and on to the subs and the preout subwoofer 2 goes to the Integrated amp and wires strait to the ceiling speaker (VOG) the struggle in my head is creating the mid level speakers. I’m not to fussed about the rears/surround speakers, but would like a stronger sound stage if that’s possible or am I confusing myself

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m not going to claim expert status here in any way, but you will have no way of integrating the sound... you will, imo, hurt your soundstage. There have been other posts with people seeking similar solutions for balancing the different surround formats (ceiling mounts vs high wall mounts, for example). In the end, the processing capability of the avr is only going to allow you so much freedom before you make it impossible for it to manage the signals.
Also as I understand it there is very little auro content here(or are you on the other side of the pond?) for it to be worth this.
If you want a device than can manage speakers like that, you probably need to be considering a super-processor like the RMC-1, but even then I don’t know if Dirac will allow for the type of layout you are talking about.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Since your question is so specific to setting up auro, you might find better advice by posting a new thread on the room acoustics/system layout&setup forum...
Edit your title to be more specific to auro setup...
Ask a mod to move this thread to that forum...
Like I said, I’m not the expert, but my spidey senses are going bonkers with what you are talking about doing.

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
There are no integrated amps shown in those pictures. The XLS1002 are power amps.
Sorry PENG I’m hoping to use a mixture depends on the usage. In my drawing above I have 2 integrated Amps powering the Celling/Amos/DTS X speakers. 2 x Crown XLS 1002 (Power Amps) To Power the 2 centre channels and lastly the Left & Rights To Be Powered by Emotiva A-800 (Power Amps) the Marantz will end up being the brain. Sorry my bad

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
It sounds like our op though is hell bent on all the speaker channels he can get and needs the expandability of the emo... after all he said he’s rerouting sub2 to be the vog channel?! And wants all three layers of speakers.

I’m going back to bed! :p
Lol, sorry guys I’m having a melt down me self lol and it late afternoon here I am the other side of the pond btw lol. I’m trying for the best and all Atmos/Auro 3D & DTS X I have To capability for the Atmos and DTS X with just using the Marantz, perhaps I’m over complicating things by introducing to many additional integrated/power Amps

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Lol, sorry guys I’m having a melt down me self lol and it late afternoon here I am the other side of the pond btw lol. I’m trying for the best and all Atmos/Auro 3D & DTS X I have To capability for the Atmos and DTS X with just using the Marantz, perhaps I’m over complicating things by introducing to many additional integrated/power Amps

Yes. Especially with biamping and all the other crossing up you are talking about.

Monoprice monolith, 16-channel pre-pro.

M

Mayo2dockside

Enthusiast
1. Yes
2. The Marantz pre outs are for connection to a power amps inputs, or integrate amp's power amp section inputs (some integrated amps have them, but some don't). You can connect the pre outs to an integrated (if it does not have power amp section inputs) amp's line level inputs, but they are not designed for such use and I guess you know that already.
3. Yes you can do it, but it does not seem to make sense.
Hey PENG,

The last one is so I can have 2 centre speakers. 1 high and 1 ear height.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's the HTP 1 from monoprice. Same factory as DataSat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis