Receiver / Preamp/Processor Wish List

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>well I don't know if this technology already exists but I wish there was a way to hard limit the loudness of a particular movie.

Sometimes I have to crank up the volume in a movie during the quieter scenes and then next thing I know an something loud happens and have to fumble around to lower the volume.

This to me is important since I live in an appartment and tend to watch movies around 10-11 pm.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Dis,

Certain receivers can do this. I'm not totally sure to what extent and what price range these features kick in. However my Yamaha RXV-2095 has a dynamic range setting for Dolby Digital. I can set this to one of three levels. At the minimum level it will make all sounds closer to the average volume so that you don't get wild fluctuations. The receiver does not support this for DTS but others may.

Also for regular TV viewing check your TV. I feed my receiver from the L/R audio outputs on my TV, then it decodes Dolby Surround if available. My Sony TV has an auto volume level feature that helps keep a constant volume across all channels. It's great for those pesky loud ads too. With the Sony the feature is available via the sound setup menu.

Paul</font>

<font color='#000080'>Most digital cable boxes I've seen have this as well, including the Pioneer and Scientific Atlanta models. You can set the dynmaic range to normal, wide, or narrow - or something like that.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>We also need another video input with optical digital sound for Xbox or PS-2. Most recivers only account for DVD and SAT.

Paul</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>One cable for all. &nbsp;I wish they do away with 5.1 &nbsp;analog I/O for DVD-A and SACD.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I just remembered another one. I have a wireless set of Sennheiser headphones connected to my receiver. I used the rec out on the rear of my Yamaha unit to connect to the transmitter base. Because the rec. out is analog then any connection I want to hear from it must also come into the receiver analog.

In short, for wireless headphones, it would be handy to have a headphone type socket in the rear of the receiver for the following reasons.

1. You don't have to have the front panel flipped down and the transmitter base connection hanging out at all times.

2. You don't have to account for how the source signal is being fed to the receiver.

3. You still get the advantage of all the silent cinema and other downmix modes for full multichannel sound provided on the headphone jack.

PaulF</font>

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Has anyone mentioned &quot;future-proofing?&quot; All flagship receivers should provide rear panel bay(s)/connector(s) for hardware/software upgrades as the various platforms coalesce.</font>

<font color='#000080'>We're finding out that this isn't always practical in a cost-analysis sort of way (for the manufacturer, that is), but we'll see...</font>

2x6spds

Enthusiast
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
2x6spds : <font color='#000000'>Hi Gene

Nice list!

1. Full bass management functionality in all modes including analog direct for SACD and DVDA;

2. Full digital path for SACD and DVDA;

3. HD 100MHz or better bandwidth for video processing section;

4. No BS exaggerations of power output rating, ratings should be with all channels driven over the full bandwidth;

5. Take a little care to damp the unit, can't cost much to do, but should help avoid resonant interactions with speaker and sub output;

6. Take the time to voice the receiver so it reproduces music both accurately and pleasantly.</font>
<font color='#000000'>I'd also like to see stereo subwoofer output for amplified or passive subs.</font>

A

Andy34

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi. &nbsp;I'm new here and was wondering if I can get some opinions on the TA-E9000ES pre/pro. &nbsp;I'm wondering if it will mate well with the Adcom GFA-7700 that I may also purchase.
Thanks
andy</font>

A

Andy34

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi. &nbsp;Yes I did read those articles, that's what sparked my interest in Audioholics. &nbsp;I searched for sony ta-e9000es in Google and it lead me right away to those articles. &nbsp;Thanks for responding to my post. &nbsp;
I'm wondering if there are any currecnt users of the Adcom gfa-7700 and sony ta-e9000es who could offer a opinion.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis