Receiver Karaoke Question

M

mikec0170

Audiophyte
I have a Marantz SR5013 and a set of Innopow Wireless mics with the base station. My TV is hooked up to the receiver and I'd like to hook up the mics to my receiver so when we have friends over and play karaoke videos on youtube we can also use the mics and have the sound come out through the same set of speakers. Is this at all possible?

I've done some light reading on this topic so I have an overall understanding of what the issue is:
Receivers generally only play sound from one source at one time, so unless the TV and mic audio are coming in to the receiver through the same channel only one will be heard at once.

I've also read suggestions to put a sound mixer between the TV/mics and receiver which would then output a single source, but since the composite (Audio Video) is coming from the TV as HDMI into the receiver I'm not sure what putting it through a sound mixer would do to it (or if a mixer even has HDMI inputs). Would I even get picture afterwards?

For reference, attached is a pic of the back panel of the SR5013.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions which can point me to a solution.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Every time I’ve seen folks asking about mixing karaoke with their home theater, it involved a stand-alone unit of some kind that generated the music and video (on-screen lyrics) itself. The solution was to send the video to the TV directly, and use an outboard mixer to combine the karaoke audio with the mic signal, which would then be sent to the home theater receiver.

As you can probably see, when the TV itself is the source of video and audio – that’s a problem.

I’d try using an HDMI audio extractor to split out the audio so it can be mixed with the mics. That shouldn’t affect the video.

But if it does, I think your only solution is going to be a separate stand-alone audio system for the mics.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do love karaoke. I do it all the time in my living room - RBH SVT Towers, Denon AVR-5308CI, and $200 Yamaha Stereo Mixer.

Got to have that Yamaha mixer!

YouTube Karaoke PC --> HDMI Out --> HDMI Splitter -->

A. HDMI 1 goes to AVR as "HTPC"
B. HDMI 2 goes to HDMI-to-Component Video + L/R Stereo RCA Converter Box -->

A. Component Video goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Video
B. L/R Stereo RCA goes to the Yamaha Mixer for Sound --> Yamaha Mixer Audio L/R Outputs goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Audio

The Microphone connects to the Yamaha Mixer.

Last edited:
M

mikec0170

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses. So,

I do love karaoke. I do it all the time in my living room - RBH SVT Towers, Denon AVR-5308CI, and $200 Yamaha Stereo Mixer.

Got to have that Yamaha mixer!

YouTube Karaoke PC --> HDMI Out --> HDMI Splitter -->

A. HDMI 1 goes to AVR as "HTPC"
B. HDMI 2 goes to HDMI-to-Component Video + L/R Stereo RCA Converter Box -->

A. Component Video goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Video
B. L/R Stereo RCA goes to the Yamaha Mixer for Sound --> Yamaha Mixer Audio L/R Outputs goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Audio

The Microphone connects to the Yamaha Mixer.
If my TV can already output Video and Audio separately (say through the aforementioned Component Vid/Aud) then I won't need the RCA Converter box correct?

Also, that $200 Yamaha mixer seems like a BEAST for just combining mic and TV audio. There are other mixers I can see but I don't have the experience with audio equipment to know if they will work.

Let me be very specific about my setup so I can understand which configuration might be best. Right now I have the following equipment and configuration:

1. TiVo Bolt ----(HDMI)----> AVR -----(HDMI-ARC)----> TV
2. AVR -----> Speakers

The video and audio (Youtube) is being sourced from the TivO as it's the one connected to the internet and I'm using the YouTube TiVo app to play videos.

Can I do the following?

1. TiVo Bolt ----(HDMI)---->TV (Audio+Video)
2. TV ----(Audio Out)----> Mixer (Audio Input 1)
3. Mics---(Audio Out)----> Mixer (Audio Input 2)
4. Mixer----(Audio Out)---> AVR (Cable/Sat Input)

I'm using Cable/Sat in step 4 so I can always listen to TV audio on that channel, but not listen to Mics when they are turned off.

Is that possible?

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the responses. So,

If my TV can already output Video and Audio separately (say through the aforementioned Component Vid/Aud) then I won't need the RCA Converter box correct?

Also, that $200 Yamaha mixer seems like a BEAST for just combining mic and TV audio. There are other mixers I can see but I don't have the experience with audio equipment to know if they will work.

Let me be very specific about my setup so I can understand which configuration might be best. Right now I have the following equipment and configuration:

1. TiVo Bolt ----(HDMI)----> AVR -----(HDMI-ARC)----> TV
2. AVR -----> Speakers

The video and audio (Youtube) is being sourced from the TivO as it's the one connected to the internet and I'm using the YouTube TiVo app to play videos.

Can I do the following?

1. TiVo Bolt ----(HDMI)---->TV (Audio+Video)
2. TV ----(Audio Out)----> Mixer (Audio Input 1)
3. Mics---(Audio Out)----> Mixer (Audio Input 2)
4. Mixer----(Audio Out)---> AVR (Cable/Sat Input)

I'm using Cable/Sat in step 4 so I can always listen to TV audio on that channel, but not listen to Mics when they are turned off.

Is that possible?

Mike
That might work.

Is the TiVo also connected to the AVR using a different Input than Cable/Sat (when you don't want to sing karaoke and use the Mixer)?

Otherwise, if the Mixer is the only thing connected to the AVR, then the Mixer has to be turned on even when you're not singing karaoke.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis