Receiver for a surround sound system

H

humnwtrfal

Enthusiast
I'm looking to put together a surround sound system to go with the new tv I bought. My room is ~16ft by ~19ft and opens to multiple other rooms. I mainly plan to use the setup for watching tv shows and movies and streaming audio or listening to vinyl. I currently plan for most of my inputs would be going through the tv to the receiver over eARC. I have some old speakers from a roommate in college that I plan to upgrade over time. The first purchases I plan to make are for the subwoofer and receiver. I decided to go with the speedwoofer 12s for my room size, the available reviews appear to be really good, and everyone appears to like RSL. For the receiver I was planning on going a little cheaper so I could put more money into the speakers with the assumption that the speakers will be around for longer. I wanted to get some advice on a few of the options I had looked at and see if there were any additional models I should consider. I was also wondering what people thought about buying used receivers from places such as accessories 4 less. The models I am currently thinking about are the Denon s760h or x1700h or the Yamaha a880, a780, or a2a. Thanks in advance for the advice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking to put together a surround sound system to go with the new tv I bought. My room is ~16ft by ~19ft and opens to multiple other rooms. I mainly plan to use the setup for watching tv shows and movies and streaming audio or listening to vinyl. I currently plan for most of my inputs would be going through the tv to the receiver over eARC. I have some old speakers from a roommate in college that I plan to upgrade over time. The first purchases I plan to make are for the subwoofer and receiver. I decided to go with the speedwoofer 12s for my room size, the available reviews appear to be really good, and everyone appears to like RSL. For the receiver I was planning on going a little cheaper so I could put more money into the speakers with the assumption that the speakers will be around for longer. I wanted to get some advice on a few of the options I had looked at and see if there were any additional models I should consider. I was also wondering what people thought about buying used receivers from places such as accessories 4 less. The models I am currently thinking about are the Denon s760h or x1700h or the Yamaha a880, a780, or a2a. Thanks in advance for the advice.
I am 100% against buying refurbished COMPLEX electronics like AVR/AVP from ANYWHERE and from any brand due to my bad experiences. You will find other bad experiences from others.

But there are also people who have bought refurbished from A4L and other places and feel differently. That’s how it is. You ask one question, you get 10 different answers.

As for the extended warranties offered by A4L and other refurbished places, they are 3rd party warranties, and I have never seen anyone talk about how that went.

H

humnwtrfal

Enthusiast
I am 100% against buying refurbished COMPLEX electronics like AVR/AVP from ANYWHERE and from any brand due to my bad experiences. You will find other bad experiences from others.

But there are also people who have bought refurbished from A4L and other places and feel differently. That’s how it is. You ask one question, you get 10 different answers.

As for the extended warranties offered by A4L and other refurbished places, they are 3rd party warranties, and I have never seen anyone talk about how that went.
Fair enough, I decided to go for a new product. Picked the s760h for my first receiver. Thanks for the advice!

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
1. Denon AVR-S760H: This is an entry-level receiver with 7 channels of amplification and support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. It offers a good balance of features and performance at an affordable price point.

2. Denon AVR-X1700H: This model is a step up from the AVR-S760H, offering more advanced features and connectivity options. It has 7 channels of amplification, supports higher-resolution audio formats, and features enhanced room calibration for improved sound quality.

3. Yamaha RX-A880: This is a mid-range receiver from Yamaha's AVENTAGE series, known for their build quality and audio performance. It offers 7 channels of amplification, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support, and advanced room correction capabilities.

4. Yamaha RX-A780: Similar to the RX-A880, the RX-A780 is another option from Yamaha's AVENTAGE series. It has comparable features and performance, with 7 channels of amplification and support for immersive audio formats.

5. Yamaha RX-A2A: This is a newer model from Yamaha and part of their AVENTAGE lineup. It features 7 channels of amplification, supports the latest audio and video formats, and offers enhanced connectivity options.

When considering a receiver, it's important to look at the specific features that are important to you, such as the number of channels, supported audio formats, connectivity options, and room correction capabilities. All of the models you mentioned should be capable of delivering a satisfying surround sound experience.

Regarding purchasing used receivers, buying from reputable sources like Accessories4less can be a cost-effective way to acquire a higher-end receiver at a lower price. Just make sure to check the seller's warranty and return policy, as well as the condition and any available information on the receiver's history.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go with the most relevant feature set in the avrs in your budget. Or perhaps look to the future and get one further up the Denon chain, like the X3xxx and above series where you get pre-outs and XT32.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis