T

TitusTroy

Enthusiast
I currently have an LG C7 OLED (2017) but I'm using an older non-4K receiver from 2010, the Denon AVR-791...everything hooked up with HDMI cables...I'm not using the ARC HDMI port as I heard it could cause issues...I have a dedicated 5.1 speaker setup (no subwoofer)...I have my non-4K FiOS cable box hooked up to my receiver in the CAB/SAT HDMI port on my receiver (DD 5.1 audio works fine with cable TV)...my question is when I want to use the TV's built-in apps like Netflix I need to click on the 'TV' button on my receiver...then I can launch the built-in apps but there's no audio from my 5.1 speakers...I only get audio if I enable the TV's built in speakers...video HDR/Dolby Vision works fine

I bought a digital optical Toslink cable and connected it from the TV to the receiver and now I get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from my speakers...but I want the better Dolby Digital Plus audio (I know it's not supported with the optical cable)...why don't I get any audio at all when switching to my TV input on the receiver?...and what do I need to do to get Dolby Digital Plus?...I bought a new Onyko TX-NR686 receiver which is arriving today (supports 4K passthrough)...is it as simple as getting a new 4K receiver and connecting everything to that will get me DD Plus or am I doing something wrong?

my current AVR-791 supports DD+ so why am I not able to get it with my current setup?

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You need to use ARC for DD+

Or even better a fully 4k compatible AVR (needs HDCP 2.2) and connect everything to the AVR and not use the TV apps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TitusTroy

Enthusiast
You need to use ARC for DD+

Or even better a fully 4k compatible AVR (needs HDCP 2.2) and connect everything to the AVR and not use the TV apps
so when using the TV apps the only way I can get DD+ is through ARC?...I hear ARC is buggy and gives people issues which is why I try to avoid it...or maybe I could use another HDMI input as my main connection to the receiver with everything hooked up to that and just switchover to the ARC HDMI when I want to use the built-in apps?

T

TitusTroy

Enthusiast
The 686 looks to be fully 4k compliant.
I tried connecting my current 1080p AVR-791 receiver to my TV's ARC input via HDMI and it still didn't work...or is it because the receiver needs to match the TV and be fully 4K compatible?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I tried connecting my current 1080p AVR-791 receiver to my TV's ARC input via HDMI and it still didn't work...or is it because the receiver needs to match the TV and be fully 4K compatible?
ARC HDMI enabled input/output connections need to be at both ends and then set up in the TV settings and AVR settings.
ARC has nothing to do with 4k compatability. What it does is allow sound data going the ‘wrong way’ from the TV to the AVR as opposed to normal where you send the video data to the tv from the avr. You may need to enable CEC at voth ends also, it depends and name can vary between manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis