Receiver /DAC advice - TV (digital out) to 4 different RCA speakers

R

revium

Audiophyte
I've literally spent 2 days and over 6 hours researching and I still can't find the receiver I need, or DAC but with more ports.
Please Help.

Outdoor use (covered pavilion).

I have a this TV: 65" Samsung Terrace Partial Sun QLED 4k TV
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/the-terrace/65-class-the-terrace-qled-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-tv-qn65lst7tafxza/
It has a Digital Optical port (SPDIF)

I need to connect it to (4) speakers: KLIPSCH AW-650
https://www.klipsch.com/products/aw-650-outdoor-speaker
It looks like they are RCA ports.

I don't really care about the surround sound or amplification. Sure bluetooth or managing zones might be nice but I can't find anything and this seems like such a simple problem, so it must be me.

I just need the TV audio in all 4 speakers. In other threads I've searched people suggest a DAC but I can't find one where you can go from the digital output to 4 different speakers. So then I assumed I need some kind of receiver instead but couldn't find the right one for that either. Being that it is 4 speakers, each with a red and black, I assume I'd need 8 RCA ports unless there is kind of RCA to HDMI converter I use as well.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've literally spent 2 days and over 6 hours researching and I still can't find the receiver I need, or DAC but with more ports.
Please Help.

Outdoor use (covered pavilion).

I have a this TV: 65" Samsung Terrace Partial Sun QLED 4k TV
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/the-terrace/65-class-the-terrace-qled-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-tv-qn65lst7tafxza/
It has a Digital Optical port (SPDIF)

I need to connect it to (4) speakers: KLIPSCH AW-650
https://www.klipsch.com/products/aw-650-outdoor-speaker
It looks like they are RCA ports.

I don't really care about the surround sound or amplification. Sure bluetooth or managing zones might be nice but I can't find anything and this seems like such a simple problem, so it must be me.

I just need the TV audio in all 4 speakers. In other threads I've searched people suggest a DAC but I can't find one where you can go from the digital output to 4 different speakers. So then I assumed I need some kind of receiver instead but couldn't find the right one for that either. Being that it is 4 speakers, each with a red and black, I assume I'd need 8 RCA ports unless there is kind of RCA to HDMI converter I use as well.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!
This is not a simple problem.

Your speakers are passive and you can not connect them to that TV.

Outside installations are tricky as receivers don't do well outdoors.

What are going to be your sources for that TV?

Can you place a receiver indoors?

My next question is how are you going to place those speakers?

Four speakers is likely to be a mess due to time delays.

It is best to have two powerful speakers up front. I do not know how big this space is, but if it is large then you do need to space speakers down the space, but the rear speakers need time delay so that the sound from the front arrives at those speakers at the same time.

If you are not going to use a receiver, then you are going to need a DAC and a PA amp both outside rated.

If you can put a receiver inside, then you can connect your sources to the receiver and connect the receiver to the TV via a hybrid optical HDMI cable. I suspect the distance from receiver to TV would be too great for a standard HDMI cable.

I really can't answer you precisely until I know the space and where you intend to place the TV and speakers. So you need to provide us with an accurate drawing of the plan.

This is a complex problem you have embarked on and unless engineered properly will be a complete waste of time and money.

The receiver solution is best, as it can be set up to solve the timing problem which I don't know will be a problem and see your plan with the distances between speakers.

If all the equipment is going to be outside, then we will have to go pro all the way I suspect. With your level of experience you may need professional help with this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at those speakers spec sheet and manual don't see any mention of the specific type of terminal used but unlikely to be rca, more likely a simple binding post for typical speaker wire (it does say it is capable up to 12g wire, tho). A stereo amp with four channels of amp is not likely, easier to use a typical avr in multich stereo mode.

R

revium

Audiophyte
Looking at those speakers spec sheet and manual don't see any mention of the specific type of terminal used but unlikely to be rca, more likely a simple binding post for typical speaker wire (it does say it is capable up to 12g wire, tho). A stereo amp with four channels of amp is not likely, easier to use a typical avr in multich stereo mode.
you are correct. I opened them up today and it is just speaker wire which I assume makes things a little easier.
the speakers will be about 14-15 ft apart. The TV will be about 15ft away. TV and speakers under an covered pavilion.

The speakers have 300 watt max output at 8 ohm.
So I assume I need a receiver/amp that is 5+ channels, and probably around 700 watts, with 1 digital optical input.
I will be using it outside, but i'm looking for a weatherproof enclosure for the receiver.

R

revium

Audiophyte
This is not a simple problem.

Your speakers are passive and you can not connect them to that TV.

Outside installations are tricky as receivers don't do well outdoors.

What are going to be your sources for that TV?

Can you place a receiver indoors?

My next question is how are you going to place those speakers?

Four speakers is likely to be a mess due to time delays.

It is best to have two powerful speakers up front. I do not know how big this space is, but if it is large then you do need to space speakers down the space, but the rear speakers need time delay so that the sound from the front arrives at those speakers at the same time.

If you are not going to use a receiver, then you are going to need a DAC and a PA amp both outside rated.

If you can put a receiver inside, then you can connect your sources to the receiver and connect the receiver to the TV via a hybrid optical HDMI cable. I suspect the distance from receiver to TV would be too great for a standard HDMI cable.

I really can't answer you precisely until I know the space and where you intend to place the TV and speakers. So you need to provide us with an accurate drawing of the plan.

This is a complex problem you have embarked on and unless engineered properly will be a complete waste of time and money.

The receiver solution is best, as it can be set up to solve the timing problem which I don't know will be a problem and see your plan with the distances between speakers.

If all the equipment is going to be outside, then we will have to go pro all the way I suspect. With your level of experience you may need professional help with this.
Thanks,

45 ft x 18ft Pavilion with 8 posts. TV in the middle on one side. Speakers spread out on the other (about 14-15ft apart). Looks like the speakers just use speaker wire and not RCA. Will definitely need a receiver but just trying to find the right one.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Thanks,

45 ft x 18ft Pavilion with 8 posts. TV in the middle on one side. Speakers spread out on the other (about 14-15ft apart). Looks like the speakers just use speaker wire and not RCA. Will definitely need a receiver but just trying to find the right one.
I'd probably try running them in parallel with just two channels (two speakers on L, two on R) because what you are really trying to do here is get coverage, instead of building an outdoor surround system. I suspect those horn loaded speakers are easy to drive, so you have a lot of options. Essentially anything 4-ohm rated.

Personally, I use a Bluesound PowerNode to drive a pair of KEF outdoor speakers by my pool. It's 2-channel, has DD+ decoding, and supports eARC for a connection to a TV or projector. It's also Roon Ready for music streaming (probably my 90% use-case). I suspect it would work fine driving all four of your speakers.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
OK. You have an SPDIF out as the source.
You have four speakers (two left and two right? Or are you trying for surround?) as the load.
Outdoors doesn't like electronics. I don't know any receivers specifically designed to be outdoors.

Go to the pawn shop.
Buy basically any AVR made in the last 15 years. (check to see that it's two zone)
Plug the SPDIF out on your TV to the SPDIF in on the AVR.
Wire two speakers to LR "Speaker A"
Wire the other two to LR "Speaker B"
Make sure you have both zones on and to the same source.
Win.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
you are correct. I opened them up today and it is just speaker wire which I assume makes things a little easier.
the speakers will be about 14-15 ft apart. The TV will be about 15ft away. TV and speakers under an covered pavilion.

So I assume I need a receiver/amp that is 5+ channels, and probably around 700 watts, with 1 digital optical input.
I will be using it outside, but i'm looking for a weatherproof enclosure for the receiver.
You won't find a receiver that delivers that much power, and I highly doubt you need that much.

With the size of that space, you are going to need time delay, which I think the receiver will allow you do do. If you don't delay the rear speakers by the correct amount, the sound will be garbled for those bening those speakers.

It still bothers me you putting that receiver outside. It won't be temperature controlled. Receivers do not like heat especially. Being out in the cold is not good for them either. The cabinet will need to allow a lot of ventilations as receivers make a lot of heat. If the receiver is not well ventilated it will blow.

I would not use an optical cable. Connect your sources to the receiver and connect the receiver to the TV with an HDMI cable. That is the way to do it. Just use the TV and an "end" device and have the receiver switch the TV sources. That is the proper way to do this.

I really have concerns about your plans. They are just not well thought out. This is not a trivial project but a major undertaking. Domestic equipment is not designed for outdoor use. Your TV and speakers are designed for that application, but receivers are not.

If you can't put the receivers into a temperature controlled environment, then I think you need a DAC from the TV and then a pro PA type amp designed for this type of environment. I think you are also going to need a digital delay unit for the rear speakers, which will mean that you need a four channel type PA amp.

I would not use an optical cable. Connect your sources to the receiver and connect the receiver to the TV with an HDMI cable. That is the way to do it. Just use the TV and an "end" device and have the receiver switch the TV sources. That is the proper way to do this.

Just one more point. There is no way those speakers will handle 300 watts. Speaker power ratings are always grossly exaggerated, and almost universally fiction. I would say 20 to 30 watts continuous would be about max for a 6.5" driver. However the speakers have 95 db. sensitivity, so that likely will fill your space without a lot of power.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The speakers don't have output of 300w, that's a max input. Output is generally measured in dB in the form of spl (sound pressure level). The speakers don't require 300w, but with the volume knob you could get there with an appropriate amo but doubtful the speakers will sound very good at that level otoh. Try playing with this to get an idea of the relationships involved http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis