Receiver cutting first half-second of each track

S

steventice

Audiophyte
I'm having a problem with my receiver. For some reason, on certain CDs it cuts the first half-second off of each track, which is often jarring and annoying. Since these same CDs worked properly on this same DVD player previously, I can only conclude that the receiver is at fault (or perhaps the optical cable?). Poking around online I've discovered that this problem has been observed with other Sony receivers. Is there any way to fix this problem or do I have to take the unit back?

SET

U

Unregistered

If it occurs on each and every track on a cd, then there could be a problem with the dvd player but I've never noticed that problem on any dvd player I've owned.

On some cds, the track markers are placed such that the beginning of the track actually occurs at the end of the prior track (to make it sound like it is playing continuously with no gaps). For example, Styx - Paradise Theater. Track 2 - Rockin' the Paradise sounds like it starts abruptly and the first half second is chopped off. In actual fact, it is chopped off because the first beat of that song is actually on the prior track, which you can see if you rip both tracks and view them in an audio editor, like Sound Forge. For such cds, there is no problem with the player and you should try to verify this before sending the player for service.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Do you still have your old receiver or another laying around? If so, hook the DVD player up and see if the problem persists.

I can't see how it would be the receiver causing this but maybe someone else has some insight. I would bet that it's the DVD player. I also doubt it's the cable. If it was the cable it would be a random problem, not just at the start of tracks.

Shinerman

S

steventice

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the replies, folks! I'm afraid it's not the DVD player (almost wish it was, that'd give me an excuse to upgrade to progressive scan :). If I plug it into my old stereo system, the DVD player and CDs still work just fine. And it's every track on the affected CDs, not just ones where two songs are linked. Heck, sometimes the linked ones are better, it'll cut the first half-second of the first song, but play through the linked songs without inserting the half-second cut. Very weird! And it's not every CD, only certain ones. Some sort of technological incompatibility, I guess. I found a site online where a reviewer discussed another Sony receiver that suffered from a similar problem, but he didn't have any solution to it other than upgrading one's CD collection to DVD-A...which isn't particularly practical... Anyway, thanks for the info, and if you have any other ideas, please let me know! :)

SET

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis