Receiver/Amp trigger question

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
Hi. I just picked up a Monoprice Monolith 5 as part of Black Friday sale. For powering it on, it seemed like this was appropriate use of Trigger Out which I have never used before. So I hooked the Trigger Out 1 of my receiver (Denon AVR-4300W) to the Trigger In of the Monolith. Have Monolith main power on but Standby button in Standby mode (that's what they say to set it in their manual). But when I switch the Denon from Standby to On, the amp doesn't turn on. Am I missing something? Is this how Trigger is supposed to work?

Thanks.

Ernie

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi. I just picked up a Monoprice Monolith 5 as part of Black Friday sale. For powering it on, it seemed like this was appropriate use of Trigger Out which I have never used before. So I hooked the Trigger Out 1 of my receiver (Denon AVR-4300W) to the Trigger In of the Monolith. Have Monolith main power on but Standby button in Standby mode (that's what they say to set it in their manual). But when I switch the Denon from Standby to On, the amp doesn't turn on. Am I missing something? Is this how Trigger is supposed to work?

Thanks.

Ernie
You need to assign the trigger- it can be ON whenever the AVR is on or you can select specific input commands to turn it on.

Setup Menu, scroll to Option and look for triggers- it's in the manual.

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
In the Trigger menu it's marked On for Main as well as for every Input type...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In the Trigger menu it's marked On for Main as well as for every Input type...
You must use a mono lead and not a stereo one to connect the receiver trigger to the power amp. A stereo cable will not work and this is a common mistake.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was also wondering what was used for connector.

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
It was the connector that came with the Monolith. Looks like a mono connector (one stripe) and I'd assume they'd package the correct one.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
The above advice is correct. Once I set my Denon/Monolith up, I’ve never had a power up issue.

E

Epetti

Audioholic Intern
Ugh. There's a reason this is the Beginner's Forum. Figured it out. I had the Master Power on, of course, but in the Monolith instructions it said "the Power switch on the front panel should be in the Standby position." I took this to mean the Off position thinking the two states were Standby/On. But in fact they meant it in the On position with the two states being Off/Standby. Works perfectly now.

Thanks everyone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep RTFM twice sometimes is what it takes :) Looking forward to your impressions as to what this did for your system....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis