Receiver advice -- Pioneer 1021 -- Should I replace?

T

tdjones2820

Audiophyte
Hi...

I'm new to the forum. As you will see, I am not an expert, so I'm looking for some advice.

I would like to run 7.1 in my main room, and also run a bunch of speakers in Zone 2 all over my house and outside. To power the second zone, I have an AudioSource Amp210 and also my old Denon AVR-1801 that I could use as a Zone 2 amp.

I recently purchased the Pioneer VSX-1021. $300, seemed like a great deal. But I am having a bunch of problems.

1. It doesn't down-convert to Zone 2, so nothing that comes in on HDMI can go to Zone 2.

2. There is a delay on Zone 2 for certain inputs. When I run my Ipod through the USB port on the front, the main zone is noticeably behind Zone 2. It sounds terrible. I spent a couple hours trying to fix this yesterday, with no luck.

3. It appears that I can't run both 7.1 in the main room and also Zone 2 at the same time. When I run Zone 2, even through the line out, the main room can only do 5.1. (Is this because it only has a powered line-out rather than a pre-out?)

I am sort of frustrated with all this. Plus, it has been really hard to set up. I am considering returning it. I'd be willing to spend more, say up to $500-$600 or so, on another receiver that doesn't have these problems, or that has more capabilities. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Like should I upgrade to the 1121? Or the Onkyo 709? Or the Denon 2212? It appears to me that that is the next level up, and all of those have pre-outs.

I'd very much appreciate any advice.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Taking your questions by the numbers:

1. There are very few AVRs that can play digital content to zone II. And those are way above the price of your current AVR.

2. The reason for the delay may be because you aren't using direct mode in zone I. Try using direct mode and see if that helps. Direct mode by-passes the digital sound processor (DSP). Zone II is strictly analog and should have zero delay.

3. Since zone II and the rear surrounds use the same speaker posts and there are no preouts - yup - can't do em both at the same time.

Like should I upgrade to the 1121? Or the Onkyo 709? Or the Denon 2212? It appears to me that that is the next level up, and all of those have pre-outs.
That Denon does not have preamp out jacks.

A bit over your budget - and is a refurbished unit is the Denon 3311CI. It can do everything you are looking to do except play digital content in any zone other than zone I. For digital content over zone II or III get an external DAC.

T

tdjones2820

Audiophyte
Thanks much for the response.

I switched to direct mode, but the delay didn't go away. It only seems to happen when the Ipod is plugged into the USB port. When I use an old analog connection for the Ipod, it's fine. And it doesn't seem to happen for any other sources.

It looks to me like the Pioneer 1121 has pre-outs, and it's around $500. Would you recommend the Denon 3311 over that?

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Thanks much for the response.

I switched to direct mode, but the delay didn't go away. It only seems to happen when the Ipod is plugged into the USB port. When I use an old analog connection for the Ipod, it's fine. And it doesn't seem to happen for any other sources.

It looks to me like the Pioneer 1121 has pre-outs, and it's around $500. Would you recommend the Denon 3311 over that?

I would recommend the Denon over the Pioneer - mainly for the Audyssey MultEQ XT but also for the additional power it has. Audyssey XT provides very good room correction capabilities.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
if you are not in a rush, sign up for the "e-Blast" sales email newsletter from newegg.com

They are an authorized on-line dealer for Pioneer Home products and just within the last month or so, they had a spectacular sale price on the VSX-1121. After the holidays, they may offer that price again.

T

tdjones2820

Audiophyte
I'm not in a rush.

Do you think the 1121 is a good way to go? I'm basically open to any brand, and anything up to maybe $500-600 range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis