Receiver Advice needed - under $1500

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Hello - Newbie on Home Theater setup here :) . I am setting up my home theater starting with 5.2.2 and eventually 7.2.2 . I am using JBL 590 L/R and Emotiva T2+ as center . I am thinking of JBL 530 as surrounds .I am planning to add 2- 4 ceiling speaker for Atmos going forward.
Current plan is to go Dual subs with Rythmik FV15HP or PSA V1512.

Its a basement and is enclosed. Stairs to up. 28X24 ( more of a T shape), 8 Ft Tall. . Planning to mount rear speakers at 16 Ft from TV wall ( drop ceiling like a beam)
I like to stay under 1500$ budget , but can be flexible upto 2000$. Please advise.

Thank you!!

1636770428654.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It will come down to personal preference. It’s usually Denon, Marantz or Yamaha.

I would go with Yamaha 1st, then Denon or Marantz 2nd. Others may go with Denon or Marantz 1st, then Yamaha 2nd.

There are other brands and it comes down to personal preference.

Talk to your dealer and see what they can do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Denon 3700 would be my choice if shopping currently. If needed it can go to 11ch of processing and has a full set of preouts for amp flexibility.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can find a 3600 that gets my vote too.

I did just recently see that AC4L has refurbed Denon 3700s in stock for $1249 with a free 3 year warranty. Normally the warranty would cost you an extra 80 bucks. That's not bad for the newest model, fits your budget and is available right now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to know as well
That's a popular topic. It usually comes down to personal preferences and experiences.

In my experience, Yamaha might have better reliability, better service, 5YR Warranty on the A2, A4, A6, A8, produce less heat, have better WiFi remote and stream capability.

I don't know if Yamaha is doing away with the very very super AWESOME AV Controller WiFi remote, which works perfectlywith my YamahaCX-A5100 and RX-A3080. This would be a big bad step backward if Yamaha will not make AV Controller work for all the new models (if wifi remote is important to you).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a popular topic. It usually comes down to personal preferences and experiences.

In my experience, Yamaha might have better reliability, better service, 5YR Warranty on the A2, A4, A6, A8, produce less heat, have better WiFi remote and stream capability.

I don't know if Yamaha is doing away with the very very super AWESOME AV Controller WiFi remote, which works perfectlywith my YamahaCX-A5100 and RX-A3080. This would be a big bad step backward if Yamaha will not make AV Controller work for all the new models.
Plus you deal Yamaha on the side?

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Thank you to each and everyone here. Finally, I have set up my room. I went with the following:

JBL 590 L/R
Emotiva C2+ Center
JBL 530 Surrounds
PSA S2112 Sub
Denon X3700H

Got JBL on sale. JBL is very Dynamic for HT and equally great for Music.
All in all, I am happy with what I have, and thank you again for all the recommendations.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Hello - Newbie on Home Theater setup here :) . I am setting up my home theater starting with 5.2.2 and eventually 7.2.2 . I am using JBL 590 L/R and Emotiva T2+ as center . I am thinking of JBL 530 as surrounds .I am planning to add 2- 4 ceiling speaker for Atmos going forward.
Current plan is to go Dual subs with Rythmik FV15HP or PSA V1512.

Its a basement and is enclosed. Stairs to up. 28X24 ( more of a T shape), 8 Ft Tall. . Planning to mount rear speakers at 16 Ft from TV wall ( drop ceiling like a beam)
I like to stay under 1500$ budget , but can be flexible upto 2000$. Please advise.

Thank you!!

View attachment 51421
I went with Anthem, the MRX-540 is superior to Denon, Yamaha or Marantz at the same price point. As well, it uses superior room correction and has an awesome web interface.

C

callerofdreams

Enthusiast
Anthem MRX-540 is 5.2ch AVR vs Denon 3700 is 9.2ch AVR. I got Denon for 1299 and suited my needs.
Goof or you :) It looks great.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Anthem MRX-540 is 5.2ch AVR vs Denon 3700 is 9.2ch AVR. I got Denon for 1299 and suited my needs.
Goof or you :) It looks great.
the MRX-540 will do 7.2 which is how I have it set up. Pre-out to the pre-amp/amp which drive the front mains. AS soon as I get the new rack assembled, I'll put up a picture.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meh, Anthem's aren't all that great for the price. ARC is a decent room eq by most accounts, tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I went with Anthem, the MRX-540 is superior to Denon, Yamaha or Marantz at the same price point. As well, it uses superior room correction and has an awesome web interface.
Naturally, everyone thinks what they bought is the best.

Don’t we all? :D

Usually that means giant companies like Denon, Marantz or Yamaha who sell more units than all the other companies combined.

But sometimes that means smaller companies like Anthem, NAD, Audio Control, etc.

Whatever works best for you is the best for you. You don’t have to justify why you think you made the right decision by saying what you bought happens to be “superior“ in your own mind.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Naturally, everyone thinks what they bought is the best.

Don’t we all? :D

Usually that means giant companies like Denon, Marantz or Yamaha who sell more units than all the other companies combined.

But sometimes that means smaller companies like Anthem, NAD, Audio Control, etc.

Whatever works best for you is the best for you. You don’t have to justify why you think you made the right decision by saying what you bought happens to be “superior“ in your own mind.
Agreed and opinions do vary. I've had Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Denon. Denon and Marantz are essentially the same these days. Still have a Yamaha (Bedroom) and Marantz (garage) and opine that the Anthem was better, specifically with the web interface rather than TV such as the others. Also, I like the ability to rechannel the amps to other channels when any are not in use. As well, I find ARC better and it's included mic for setup far better than Audessey in the Marantz.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed and opinions do vary. I've had Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Denon. Denon and Marantz are essentially the same these days. Still have a Yamaha (Bedroom) and Marantz (garage) and opine that the Anthem was better, specifically with the web interface rather than TV such as the others. Also, I like the ability to rechannel the amps to other channels when any are not in use. As well, I find ARC better and it's included mic for setup far beter than Audessey in the Marantz.
And others who have owned all these brands have opined that their Yamaha is much better or Denon/Marantz is much better and wanted to get rid of their Anthem. :D

That's the point.

I fact, there is a recent post here where the owner is trying to sell his Anthem AVR and keep his Yamaha because he hated the Anthem.

Does it prove anything if someone proclaims that their Yamaha sounds far superior than their Anthem? Or their Denon or Marantz sounds far superior than the Anthem or NAD or vice versa?

Let's just say that the Anthem worked out better for you personally, while the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, NAD, etc., worked out better for others. :D

Personally I don't think any brand sounds superior than the others as long as you have the optimal settings for each brand.

Last edited:
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
And others who have owned all these brands have opined that their Yamaha is much better or Denon/Marantz is much better and wanted to get rid of their Anthem. :D

That's the point.

I fact, there is a recent post here where the owner is trying to sell his Anthem AVR and keep his Yamaha because he hated the Anthem.

Does it prove anything if someone proclaims that their Yamaha sounds far superior than their Anthem? Or their Denon or Marantz sounds far superior than the Anthem or NAD or vice versa?

Let's just say that the Anthem worked out better for you personally, while the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, NAD, etc., worked out better for others. :D

Personally I don't think any brand sounds superior than the others as long as you have the optimal settings for each brand.
It proves that opinions vary.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis