Receiver advice for Energy's Take 5 speakers

D

dan7

Audiophyte
Planning to use this system for a little store for background music. Area of around 430 sqf. The objective: clear and crisp sound at low volume.

I honestly know very little about setting up an audio system - so I hope to get some advice on this forum.

1. What receiver should I use? I saw a few these days: Pioneer VSX-D815-S, Onkyo TX SR303 and TX8511. Not stuck to these choices of course.

2. Should I be using the center speaker at all? Or just the 4 sattelites for stereo?

3. What wiring should I use?

Thanks a lot,
Dan

One of the reviews on this system:
http://www.avrev.com/equip/energytake5/index.html

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
My advice:

1) All those receivers you mentioned are home theater receivers. You should probably be fine with a good stereo receiver. If you want to run the center channel, I guess you can do 5.1 stereo with any of the receivers you just mentioned.

2) Personally, I wouldn't. Four speakers for background music should be plenty.

3) Don't get too carried away in this area, as this is a pretty hyped up issue. You should be fine with any of the inexpesive options at BB/CC. 16 gauge wire will suffice.

There is a take5 system on sale at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B647F2/sr=8-1/qid=1143310336/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9658300-2129424?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Also, will you using a subwoofer?

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
I am hoping you are using a sub for the Take 5's. I used to use my Take 5's for the fronts with an Energy e:XL-10 subwoofer. Now they are in the rears and I use Energy C-3's for the front mains (with the sub of course).

The C-3's are driven by an older (circa 1999) Yamaha RXV-493 receiver with only the first Dolby Prologic (not even Dolby Digital or DTS!!!) but it has separate analog audio inputs for using with my DVD player which has a Dolby Digital decoder and analog Dolby Digital outputs.

I wouldn't recommend listening to my advice on which receiver to use because I really haven't heard my Energy Take 5's driven with receivers other than my Yamaha. All I can say is it sounds very good. I am saving some money for an Outlaw, NAD, or Rotel pre-pro-amp setup... then I'll be able to compare! :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
IMNSHO, those are all bad choices for the intended task.

first off, I would suggest you simply go for four smaller 8 ohm bookshelf type speakers, forgoing the subwoofer. A sub would be useless used as you describe. Second, a simple stereo receiver with two sets of speaker outs would be all you need.

Of course, there's always ceiling mounted speakers which lend themselves perfectly to background music in retail environments.

But, for a smaller home theatre system, those speakers would be a fine chioce, as would any of those receivers.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
I would tend to agree with markw. Those speakers are really designed to work with a subwoofer to carry the lower ranges. That's why I asked if you would be using one. If you're planning on not using a sub, I would look at a small bookshelf instead. If you're worried about size, possibly an in-ceiling speaker would work... There are many great options nowadays.

B

brendy

Audioholic
For your planned use the a good stereo receiver and 4 Paradigm Atoms would be a good choice.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dan7 said:
Planning to use this system for a little store for background music. Area of around 430 sqf. The objective: clear and crisp sound at low volume.
I honestly know very little about setting up an audio system - so I hope to get some advice on this forum.
1. What receiver should I use? I saw a few these days: Pioneer VSX-D815-S, Onkyo TX SR303 and TX8511. Not stuck to these choices of course.
2. Should I be using the center speaker at all? Or just the 4 sattelites for stereo?
3. What wiring should I use?
Thanks a lot,
Dan
One of the reviews on this system:
http://www.avrev.com/equip/energytake5/index.html
Do you have those speakers already? Will you be using a CD player or FM tuner, or what source for music?

If you have those speakers I would use two as mentioned and a stereo receiver for not much money. After all, it is background music, in a retail store.

I would suggest 14ga or 16ga speaker wire from Home Depot. even low voltage landscape wire, 16ga will do you well. It is black and not noticeable.

D

dawgfan1970

Audiophyte
What receiver should I use

If it were me I would choose a Harman Kardan. I am have been very impressed by their preformance with me. I own a AVR-120, AVR240, and I have had no problems. The receiver may seem not to put out the "Watts" per channel the other brands may. But check the specs. I know the combo of "Energy" 7.1, Velodyne DPS-10, and AVR-240, are enough to piss of my neighbor a couple of houses down.

Dawgfan1970

D

dan7

Audiophyte
To answer a few questions: I am not planning to use a subwoofer. Will be mostly playing MP3s on DVDs. But maybe FM music from time to time.

My understanding, from what I read, is that I should use a good stereo receiver with the 4 satellites. Will keep the center speaker as a good addition to my future home theatre whenver I buy that one :cool:

As for wiring, I will go for the ones that could be easily stapled and painted.

Cheers everyone, I appreciate your answers - thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis