Received Free AR-3a speakers- Set up Help!

jdale

jdale

Audiophyte
I received a pair of great classic speakers. The first pair of worthwhile speakers I've owned. They are in mint condition and I don't want to do something stupid a hurt them. I've read they can handle plenty of amps. The back panel mentions how to hook them up to a 0-4 ohm output. I think my receiver is 8 ohms. Should i connect differently?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
jdale said:
I received a pair of great classic speakers. The first pair of worthwhile speakers I've owned. They are in mint condition and I don't want to do something stupid a hurt them. I've read they can handle plenty of amps. The back panel mentions how to hook them up to a 0-4 ohm output. I think my receiver is 8 ohms. Should i connect differently?

View attachment 2097

View attachment 2098

View attachment 2099

Be careful running an 8 ohm receiver with "0-4" ohm speakers. You could fry something. The lower the ohm on the speaker, the harder the amp will have to work. Check your amp's owner's manual to see if it can tollerate 4 ohm's. My VERY nice marantz cannot, for example.

Pat

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
jdale said:

View attachment 2097

View attachment 2098

View attachment 2099
.....welcome, JDale, and we get excited about new equipment, too and also....hey, if you can choose something at receiver-level other than 8 ohm speakers to be used, do so....if you can't choose 4, choose 6.....bring up those new speakers to moderate-plus levels either way....tweak tone controls....feel top of receiver after about 10 minutes.....tweak some more....feel the receiver after another 10....you will probably be ok to get louder at that point, but don't grab a "lot" yet....keep feeling the top of the receiver....take the cover off the receiver, if you must, and aim a small plastic fan, you can't hear, on low, into the cabinet, will help, haha, I have done that......don't worry, JDale, you have "thermal-cutout"....hook up and listen to those new main's regiment fronts as soon as you can hook up the wire......aaahh, the speakers....sub included, sure, quality needed there too, sure, but subs, used only to extend, should be secondary to, your "Main's Regiment Speakers".....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis