Rear surrounds, mono or stereo?

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
Afternnon

Are the REAR surrounds, (on a 7.1)even though there are 2, mono? Or they are indeed stereo?

Thanks

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
All surround speaker signals are currently designed to be independent of each other. This allows the person mixing the sound to have the sound field shift side to side & front to back.

I hope this is helpful.

A

Anglofun

Enthusiast
Awesome, and your timing is perfect as we are installing them now lol.

Thanks a million guys

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think some of the early rear surround options were mono, tho that's been a while.....

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I think some of the early rear surround options were mono, tho that's been a while.....
Correct. The original surround sound was Dolby Pro Logic, an analog format derived from a two-channel (stereo) signal. The rear channels were mono, comprised of a signal out of phase with the front left and right.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Correct. The original surround sound was Dolby Pro Logic, an analog format. The rear channels (5.1 was the only iteration) was mono, comprised of a signal out of phase with the front left and right.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I was more thinking of beyond that point, e.g. 6.1 ....I wouldn't call surrounds in a 5.1 setup as rears either.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I was more thinking of beyond that point, e.g. 6.1 ....I wouldn't call surrounds in a 5.1 setup as rears either
In those days, my surround channels were actually behind the seating and facing forward, as what was what worked best at my house. Sounded great, actually. :)

Yes, I seem to recall something about the sixth challel in 6.1 being a mono derivitive of the two surround channels.

Regards,
Wayne

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In those days, my surround channels were actually behind the seating and facing forward, as what was what worked best at my house. Sounded great, actually. :)

Yes, I seem to recall something about the sixth challel in 6.1 being a mono derivitive of the two surround channels.

Regards,
Wayne
Well, it was mono more because it was just the single speaker for "rear" surround. Think some early avrs allowed you to have dual rear surrounds but still mono depending on codec....been a while :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis