Rear Surround Placement

R

RonMan

Enthusiast
On the advice of the members of this board I picked up a matching bookshelf speaker over a bipole to upgrade my system to 6.1. I decided against 7.1 until we get a new home and I dedicate a room to this. So my dilema, and I know I will have to expirement, is where to place the rear surrounds. My room is and open floor plan measuring 18' from the Monitor wall to the back wall and 14' wide in the viewing area which opens to the dinning room that is the same size. A loveseat sits against the back wall and is what I have designated as my viewing seat. Our couch runs length wise dividing the two areas.

Im trying to place the rear centers. Would it be totally obsurd to place them in the back corners? Thus all three speakers would be firing from behind. Or should I just move them into position on the sides each time I want to watch a movie?

For info I run a Yamaha RX-v2500, Infinity Primus 360 towers, Infinity C25 center, and Primus 150's in the rear with a brand spanking new Klipsch rsw-10 sub. The new surround rear is an additional Primus 150.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I'd go with the back corners for the rear surrounds and back center for the rear center....rather than moving the speakers, it might be easier to slide the loveseat out a foot or two if you're going to watch a movie and if the wife won't let you leave it there... surround sound works ok if it's right on top of you, but better if the speakers are a little behind you. :)

R

RonMan

Enthusiast
Thanks Leprkon.

Yea, I move the loveseat forward about 2 feet everytime we watch a movie. I have it marked on the back side so I can be seated in about exact spot I set the calibration mic to.

Well, since I have the house all to myself for the next few hours I guess it's time to install the surround rear wiring. Thanks for the help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis