rear spkrs loss of sound quality

T

tinearwhu

Audiophyte
when using Denon receivers (owned a couple,same story) in 5 channel stereo mode the rear surround channels never sound as good as the front channels. Use 4 identical Polk Rti6's and the surround channels sound slightly muddy like signal loss or just fewer watts. receiver claims equal wattage out of all channels..(?) Just Denon?
"B"-Front channels are hooked to a set of towers, but switched off. Havent actually checked ohm loads, but equalish lengths of same good wire...
Or maybe just go back to 2ch Vintage!:)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
when using Denon receivers (owned a couple,same story) in 5 channel stereo mode the rear surround channels never sound as good as the front channels. Use 4 identical Polk Rti6's and the surround channels sound slightly muddy like signal loss or just fewer watts. receiver claims equal wattage out of all channels..(?) Just Denon?
"B"-Front channels are hooked to a set of towers, but switched off. Havent actually checked ohm loads, but equalish lengths of same good wire...
5 channel stereo is a useless mode. I have no idea why it is even there.

If your source is two channel it is hard to beat two channel stereo. Some recordings with a lot of out of phase ambient signal present can be enhanced with algorithms such as Dolby pl x and DTS neo six. However these algorithms work best with seven channel systems in my view. In these modes ambient material is fed to the surround and rear channels. These channels are not supposed to sound the same as the fronts.

The last thing you want is the rear speakers reproducing the same sounds as the fronts.

I think you have some serious misconceptions about what the goals of surround audio systems are and the technical details behind them.

T

tinearwhu

Audiophyte
Obviously I do not know the technical details behind all the equipment, I thought the title said beginners... but you did not answer the question, so let me rephrase. I use 2 channel source. I want to use all the available channels on my receiver in stereo mode, not surround sound, to have the same output. Why would I only use the receiver in 2 channel stereo and get 85watts x 2, when I could use 5 channels x 85 watts?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I saw something a number of years ago that suggested that the rear amplifier channels of an A/V receiver are of a lower quality compared to the front channels. I can’t say for sure how accurate that is, or if it applies to late-model equipment. If your receiver has an Auto EQ function, that might account for the difference you’re hearing, too.

Why would I only use the receiver in 2 channel stereo and get 85watts x 2, when I could use 5 channels x 85 watts?
Well, since five speakers @85 watts is going to put out a noticeably higher overall volume level in the room than only two @ 85 watts, you’re probably going to be inclined to keep the volume lower than you would otherwise.

Not to say that that 5-channel stereo is useless. I like it for casual listening (i.e., when I’m running the system while doing housework or something). It’s also good for parties or other gatherings, to distribute the sound around the room better. Running the volume level lower than you would for stereo means it’s less “blaring” for those standing or sitting near the speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Obviously I do not know the technical details behind all the equipment, I thought the title said beginners... but you did not answer the question, so let me rephrase. I use 2 channel source. I want to use all the available channels on my receiver in stereo mode, not surround sound, to have the same output. Why would I only use the receiver in 2 channel stereo and get 85watts x 2, when I could use 5 channels x 85 watts?
The speakers in 5 channel stereo interfere with each other massively and significantly degrade sound quality.

The difference if you really could drive all channels at 35 watts would be four db. However receiver power supplies are not powerful enough to drive all channels at the stated power. So your power increase would be insignificant and not worth the quality loss of having five speakers versus two.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Firstly, you are misunderstanding receiver power ratings. Unless a receiver specifically states xxx watts per channel, all channels driven, the power rating is the receiver's capability of maximum power delivery to any one channel.
Secondly, you will not be able to drive all your speakers to full power at the same time; it will be extremely loud.
Thirdly, speakers respond or rather the room responds to speaker location and will alter the sound accordingly.
Fourth, perhaps the levels are not properly matched in each channel?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This is where what one wants collides with reality.

First off, what Mtry said about the power ratings is true. Those "per channel" ratings should be taken with a grain of salt when talking about driving all channels simultaneously.

Second, that "five (or whatever) channel stereo" mode is a function of the DSP, or Digital Sound Processor built into your unit. The DSP' sole purpose in life is to kerfutz with a nice, clean signal and distort it in ways that please most people's ears. Note I said "most".

Think about it for a minute: If it were actually playing two channel stereo out of your five speakers, what would be coming from your center speaker? The right channel, or the left?

Personally, I just use two channels when I want a nice, clean stereo sound. Having more than two speakers running i the same room on a stereo signal causes phasing problems anyway.

Keep on asking questions, grasshopper. You will get answers and you might learn. But be aware that the answers you get may not be the ones that you want to hear. Life is like that.

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Why would I only use the receiver in 2 channel stereo and get 85watts x 2, when I could use 5 channels x 85 watts?
Your reciever will deliver the power necessary to go to the volume you set it at, until it poops out and starts distorting the signal.

It will poop out sooner when driving 5 channels vs. driving 2 channels.

Your system will play plenty loud with 2 channels, and more cleanly.

There may be other reasons to use a 5 channel mode, but you don't gain an additional 85 watts with each added channel.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i agree with 5ch stereo being useless, if your going to use surround sound for music you need something like Dolby Pro Logic II MS on your receiver and yes my receiver has 5 ch stereo as well as Dolby PLII and i have the same problem as you but i use a completly different receiver so its just what happens, the problem is your trying to feed 2 weak signals to 5 amplifiers and its diluting the input. what dolby PLII does is its 100% done didigtally so theres no signal loss it actually takes the signal, converts it to PCM processes it, then creates a brand new signal

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis