Rear speakers, atmos speakers, home theatre setup advice + opinions

H

Horze21

Enthusiast
Hey guys, hope everyone is well in these troubled times
Wondering if i can get some help from some of you gurus please
Sorry if there is too much detail in the post.. i thought the more the better to make it easier

Currently building theatre room at my parents place.
We are looking at doing 7 channel, 4 heights, 1 or 2 sub
They will mainly use it for movies, and occasionally for music... We are building the room more for movies.

Alot of the items we have decided on, clarification that im on the right track would be great:)

Sony VPL - VW260ES 4k projector
150 inch screen
HTPC + blue ray player
Anthem MRX-1120 - 11 channel amp

Paradigm Premier 800F (fronts)
Paradigm Premier 600C (center)
Paradigm Surround 3 90% decided (surround) or Premier 200B (10%) advice on this please
Paradigm Premier 200B 90% decided (rear) or Surround 3 or 1 (10%) advice on this please

Paradigm CI Home H55-R (5.5inch) or CI Home H65-R (6.5inch) or CI Home H65-A (angled 6.5inch) or CI Home H65-SM (6.5inch with dual directional tweeter) As you can see i need lots of advice on this one :)

Paradigm Subs Defiance V10 (300w RMS) , or Defiance X10 x 2 (120w RMS) (combined 240w RMS)

We are unsure if we should go 2 x less powerful sub, or 1 powerful sub
We are leaning more towards 2 x less powerful subs, recommendations please.
I get mixed answers regarding 1 vs 2 subs from everywhere.. Some say 1 large sub, you can feel it more, some say 2 is a little more balanced in the room.
Even with the 2x less powerful subs however, the RMS isnt as large as the same more powerful X10.

The fronts i think im good (correct angle)

Now the center is going to be very low... i know this isnt good.. but have no choice as dad wants the 150 screen. So dad is building a little shelf for it, that the speaker will sit on and it will be angled to help.

The surround speakers by paradigm are multi directional, so this is why im unsure if picking them for the surround is correct idea, as it throws the angles out from Dolby recommendations? But with the setup it might be a good thing. I have talked dad in putting these lower in height than we were intending too... prob still not low enough.. but i think it will be ok. Angle is at 100 degrees

Same theory with the rears, hence why im leaning towards bookshelfs to keep the angle tighter.
The rears i need huge help on. Im unsure if to put behind the seat or more towards the corner of room. The angles dolby recommends are showing me more towards corner of room.
But it feels like the corners are so busy with speakers that you wont know where the sound is coming from.
I feel like the sound should come from behind you? or am i wrong here. Angle undecided
With dolby recommendations - the rears should be in light green on my drawing. In Brown they are outside of Dolby angle recommendation

To add to the confusion, Dolby shows on page 36 - atmos is in between rear and surround. But on page 8, the atmos are now before rear and surround

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf

The atmos........ im loosing my hair on.. i think im on the right track but need clarification Currently at 45 degree and same separation from MLP for front atmos and rear atmos

The atmos speakers are about 250-200mm in towards screen than the front speakers. Best i can get it unfortunely

Im hoping the diagram i made can help.
Also please see spreadsheet for details/lengths angles All in metric
Photos attached (The RED ladder is the back wall), the screen is marked with small pieces of blue masking tape
(big thankyou to the guy who spent time making the spreadsheet template)
and thankyou in advance for taking the time to read and post

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Paradigm Subs Defiance V10 (300w RMS) , or Defiance X10 x 2 (120w RMS) (combined 240w RMS)

We are unsure if we should go 2 x less powerful sub, or 1 powerful sub
We are leaning more towards 2 x less powerful subs, recommendations please.
I get mixed answers regarding 1 vs 2 subs from everywhere.. Some say 1 large sub, you can feel it more, some say 2 is a little more balanced in the room.
Even with the 2x less powerful subs however, the RMS isnt as large as the same more powerful X10.
Paradigm Speakers ✔
Paradigm Subs ❌

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't see much of a conflict between the diagrams that you cited. I would say just try to get as close to Dolby's placement recommendations as possible. Make sure the bed layer speakers are at ear level.

I would avoid using bipole or dipole type surround speakers anywhere in an Atmos system. Dolby specifically advises against it.

As for the subs, those aren't great subs compared to the rest of the system, and I would skip them both. The X10 is bound to be a lot better than the V10, but those speakers deserve better subs. I wouldn't get anything less than the X12 with the Premier speakers that you are considering. Those speakers already have decent bass ability, so you will need a serious sub with real extension to make a big improvement. If you must stick with Paradigm, get a couple Defiance X12 or X15 subs. They are a big step above the 10"s that you are considering.

H

Horze21

Enthusiast
mazersteven

Thanks for your reply bud.
I will look into that.
Out of curiosity.. is it the quality lack or the power of them?
Always great to get feedback on the gear

H

Horze21

Enthusiast
Sorry ShadyJ, you must of replied when i posting my other reply.
Im assuming you are talkin about the rears? On page 8 its showing the rears more towards outer walls than the atmos and fronts. While page 36 is showing more inner towards centre of room than front L R and atmos
Obviously the angles are important here.. but it seems they are crossing facts on page 36 and 8

Hmm, i didnt know that about the bipole, di pole with atmos
I was thinking the bipole speaker for the sourrand would of worked well than a mono pole to deliver the sourrand side to all 3 rows. (of course some rows are going to be more better than others)

Makes heaps of sense regarding the subs. I actually thoguht the X10 and x12 were the range suited for the Premiere range as the next up were the prestige range.
Subs, im defenitely going to have to relook.

By going the larger 12 or 15 subs, stick with 1 or 2?

thanks heaps guys

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Sorry ShadyJ, you must of replied when i posting my other reply.
Im assuming you are talkin about the rears? On page 8 its showing the rears more towards outer walls than the atmos and fronts. While page 36 is showing more inner towards centre of room than front L R and atmos
Obviously the angles are important here.. but it seems they are crossing facts on page 36 and 8

Hmm, i didnt know that about the bipole, di pole with atmos
I was thinking the bipole speaker for the sourrand would of worked well than a mono pole to deliver the sourrand side to all 3 rows. (of course some rows are going to be more better than others)

Makes heaps of sense regarding the subs. I actually thoguht the X10 and x12 were the range suited for the Premiere range as the next up were the prestige range.
Subs, im defenitely going to have to relook.

By going the larger 12 or 15 subs, stick with 1 or 2?

thanks heaps guys
Bipolar work really well, it's dipoles you want to stay away from. Bipolar you still get the direct radiating sound like any regular speaker, it just shoots it in 2 directions and can cover a wider area. The soundstage is expanded. Since Atmos is object based, it actually feels like it enhances the immersion.

H

Horze21

Enthusiast
ParisB .... i see.. well looks like the surround 3 is the way to go for the surround if thats the case... it will definitely help for all 3 rows
Sourrand 3 = 4-driver, 2-way bi-directional (which im assuming is bi-polar)

What about the rears.. are they best to stay mono or bi polar aswell?.. im thinking bi polar might spread the sound too much?

Had a chat to dad.. bigger subs it is! lol

Thanks Mazer, i will look into it.. We were looking primaryli at Paradigm, because i can great deals on Paradigm stuff. I will see what i can get the 12s and 15s and have a look at SVS aswell

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis