Really trying to like my Zu Audio Cubes

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I picked up a pair of Zu Cube speakers in a trade. I was really shocked at the transients this speaker can relay. But there is something that’s just off enough to my ears that it’s bothersome. I’ve played with positions, amplifiers etc. My current gear is all Rotel. I have never touched a treble or bass adjustments. I find my best result is to get this speaker out of the low end all together. Crossed at 200 hz. My sub is a surpurb RBH 12” Reference.

sooooo close to great sounding system......dang it.

help

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I picked up a pair of Zu Cube speakers in a trade. I was really shocked at the transients this speaker can relay. But there is something that’s just off enough to my ears that it’s bothersome. I’ve played with positions, amplifiers etc. My current gear is all Rotel. I have never touched a treble or bass adjustments. I find my best result is to get this speaker out of the low end all together. Crossed at 200 hz. My sub is a surpurb RBH 12” Reference.

help
Well you picked up speakers from one of the very worst speaker companies on the planet. That is saying something as there are plenty of contenders.

I heard a pair of their speakers once, and it was unbelievably unpleasant.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's no surprise that these speakers don't do bass well. Their name, Cube, suggests small size, as with other cubes we know, but they're 10" diameter coaxial drivers in a cabinet barely large enough to contain them.
1599855010541.png

If those are the same coaxial drivers Zu uses in it's much larger floor standing models, it's no surprise that they lack bass.

See the Sound & Vision review. Ignore the reviewers comments, and go straight to the Test Bench page.
S&V's frequency response curve shows a lot to dislike. They lack bass below about 350 Hz, and their response above 1 kHz is ragged, to put it politely. To be more blunt, I'd say it's frequency response makes these speakers unacceptable.
1599855110672.png

How much do you want to spend to replace what you now have? Bookshelf speakers or floor standing?

Look for 2-way or 3-way speakers with much smoother frequency response that's flat over as wide a frequency range as possible. And look for speakers that disperse sound widely over the entire mid-range and lower treble, the voice discrimination frequency range. The above FR curve doesn't show dispersion (off-axis FR), but the reviewer did say:
This is a very directional speaker. Its dispersion is narrow, so when I stood up, treble detail and air took a nose- dive. The upside to narrow dispersion is that the Cube reflects less sound off side walls, the floor, and the ceiling than wide-dispersion speakers do; consequently, the Cube projects an unusually focused soundstage.
That's speaker reviewerese for "these speakers beam sound too much to sound good". Their "unusually focused soundstage" requires a listener to sit imoble within a tiny sweet spot to hear any stereo image at all. You'll need an audiophile-grade head vise.

I wouldn't worry about impressive sensitivity numbers. Your Zu's are very sensitive, roughly 98 dB, based on the above curve and what Zu claims. But, as you've found, that doesn't help them. Amplifier wattage is cheap, and good sounding speakers are expensive. Instead, look for reasonable sensitivity such as 86 dB or higher.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

help
I think what might be stopping you from falling totally in love with those speakers is that they are just awful speakers.

Just awful...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The question is what did you trade to get them???

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
It's no surprise that these speakers don't do bass well. Their name, Cube, suggests small size, as in other cubes we know, but they're 10" diameter coaxial drivers in a cabinet barely large enough to contain them.
View attachment 39706
If those are the same coaxial drivers Zu uses in it's floor standing models, it's no surprise that they lack bass.

See the Sound & Vision review. Ignore the reviewers comments, and go straight to the Test Bench page.
S&V's frequency response curve shows a lot to dislike. They lack bass below about 350 Hz, and their response above 1 kHz is ragged, to put it politely. To be more blunt, I'd say it's frequency response makes these speakers unacceptable.
View attachment 39707
How much do you want to spend to replace what you now have? Bookshelf speakers or floor standing?

Look for 2-way or 3-way speakers with much smoother frequency response that's flat over as wide a frequency range as possible. And look for speakers that disperse sound widely over the entire mid-range and lower treble, the voice discrimination frequency range. The above FR curve doesn't show dispersion (off-axis FR), but the reviewer did say:
That's speaker reviewerese for "these speakers beam sound too much to sound good". Their "unusually focused soundstage" requires a listener to sit imoble within a tiny sweet spot to hear any stereo image at all. You'll need an audiophile-grade head vise.

I wouldn't worry about impressive sensitivity numbers. Your Zu's are very sensitive, roughly 98 dB, based on the above curve and what Zu claims. But, as you've found, that doesn't help them. Amplifier wattage is cheap, and good sounding speakers are expensive. Instead, look for reasonable sensitivity such as 86 dB or higher.
I have gobs of other goodies, RBH Reference (SX-661/r, SX-61R, 770r and my T2r stacks) and a very large collection of us made JBL (L20t3, L1,L3,L5,L100T, L200T3). I really wanted a pair because the company is local to me and I was curious more than anything.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have gobs of other goodies, RBH Reference (SX-661/r, SX-61R, 770r and my T2r stacks) and a very large collection of us made JBL (L20t3, L1,L3,L5,L100T, L200T3). I really wanted a pair because the company is local to me and I was curious more than anything.
Those RBH Reference speakers are said to be good. I've never heard them, but you do have an idea of what good sounding speakers should sound like.

I'm glad you didn't pay Zu's price for those cubes.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
It's no surprise that these speakers don't do bass well. Their name, Cube, suggests small size, as in other cubes we know, but they're 10" diameter coaxial drivers in a cabinet barely large enough to contain them.
View attachment 39706
If those are the same coaxial drivers Zu uses in it's floor standing models, it's no surprise that they lack bass.

View attachment 39707

I observed the exact same thing when I put them on
my mic. There were two really large dips in the critical midrange. As a comparison, I added my tests show a combined graph of my L100T and L200T3. If I was testing a newly built speaker and it looked like this, I would fail it.

Attachments

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Those RBH Reference speakers are said to be good. I've never heard them, but you do have an idea of what good sounding speakers should sound like.

I'm glad you didn't pay Zu's price for those cubes.
So am I. I’m going to try and sell them but they may end up a door stops in my shop. The RBH is my standard which all other speakers are judged. I’ll never part with my SX-T2/R. There’s nothing like them. Speakers are like fine wine, each has its own strengths. So much fun to dabble.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I observed the exact same thing when I put them on
my mic. There were two really large dips in the critical midrange. As a comparison, I added my tests show a combined graph of my L100T and L200T3. If I was testing a newly built speaker and it looked like this, I would fail it.
Well before you set about designing a speaker you have to know something about how to design one. It totally blows me away that someone would go to the trouble of designing (not much trouble with that one!) building, marketing and distributing them. What a total squandering of resources. Just incredible.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
You should send those to Amir at ASR. Dear gawd would he have a field day with them. Do it for the SCIENCE!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis