Really Inexpensive Media Streamer/HTPC - XBMC

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That solution does not fit the bill. The average music lover is not going to go through all that.

What I want is a small box around $200 or less that will stream HD AV from any streaming site on the NET.

The problem is that our symphony orchestras are in trouble and need to sell seats outside the concert hall. The BPO have a superb program, but unless you build an HT your restricted to a mobile deice or whatever speakers are connected to a computer. They are yet to make money with this. Met player same issue.

What is required is an arts version of Netflix for the musical arts and Opera houses. However we have to get started and we won't get an icon on Boxee, Apple TV, Popcorn hour etc. until we have volume.

The device needs to be plug and play, dead simple, reliable and not glitchy. On TV screen menu, find the site you want, and stream the production you want. I suppose we might end up having to design the device and manufacturing it. I'm certain one of my sons could design it. He was part of the design team for the chip in your Pi. It would require a really micro mother board with integrated processor, and a small SD drive for the operating system. Windows would need to be loaded from an external drive after assembly and before sale.

I would just rather avoid the hassle. This whole area is pop culture dominated and a lousy fit with the classical music and opera scene. It is killing the our orchestras, as most no longer have recoding contracts, which used to be a big source of revenue. They are going to have to be their own recording companies like the LSO, BPO and some others.

It will work much better if digital distribution is centralized.

The huge stumbling block is an easy way of getting the programs from the Net to the customers AV system with no hassle. This looks tougher than setting up the site at the moment.

Both the Minnesota Orchestra and the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra have been locked out for months over financial issues. The SPCO want to get going. I'm certain on reviewing the classical blogosphere, that this is the major stumbling block. There are lots of comments like watching opera on a PC among the stale coffee cups!

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
And to be fair, Mark.. a lot of your other questions- setup, add-ons, capabilites, etc.. exist more in the OS (XBMC in this case) being used for my application. I've ordered a rasbpi for every display in my house with wireless adapters just on knowing that Android ICS is being developed. Thats a big deal, really. Development on that platform will have some huge advantages. Its a chicken or egg dilemma that WILL eventually get solved. Do we push for hardware capable of meeting specific needs or do we try to develop software to meet those needs designed specifically for the hardware available to us? Its simply toooo expensive on the development side to bring such a product to to market at a price point thats affordable to the masses. That day is coming though. I like your forward thinking. We're ultimately waiting on the device and development of that brings a lot to the party.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
That solution does not fit the bill. The average music lover is not going to go through all that.

What I want is a small box around $200 or less that will stream HD AV from any streaming site on the NET.

The problem is that our symphony orchestras are in trouble and need to sell seats outside the concert hall. The BPO have a superb program, but unless you build an HT your restricted to a mobile deice or whatever speakers are connected to a computer. They are yet to make money with this. Met player same issue.

What is required is an arts version of Netflix for the musical arts and Opera houses. However we have to get started and we won't get an icon on Boxee, Apple TV, Popcorn hour etc. until we have volume.

The device needs to be plug and play, dead simple, reliable and not glitchy. On TV screen menu, find the site you want, and stream the production you want. I suppose we might end up having to design the device and manufacturing it. I'm certain one of my sons could design it. He was part of the design team for the chip in your Pi. It would require a really micro mother board with integrated processor, and a small SD drive for the operating system. Windows would need to be loaded from an external drive after assembly and before sale.

I would just rather avoid the hassle. This whole area is pop culture dominated and a lousy fit with the classical music and opera scene. It is killing the our orchestras, as most no longer have recoding contracts, which used to be a big source of revenue. They are going to have to be their own recording companies like the LSO, BPO and some others.

The huge stumbling block is an easy way of getting the programs from the Net to the customers AV system with no hassle. This looks tougher than setting up the site at the moment.

Both the Minnesota Orchestra and the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra have been locked out for months over financial issues. The SPCO want to get going. I'm certain on reviewing the classical blogosphere, that this is the major stumbling block. There are lots of comments like watching opera on a PC among the stale coffee cups!
I don't mean to be insensitive.. but.. the group largely interested in this type of content your referring to.... are they a group that would be early adopters of devices capable of universal media streaming?

When you say the "average music lover"..... define average.. The "average" still listens to FM radio or maybe has an ipod.. yeah? I agree with your intent to bring the relevance of what media is capable of now to the mainstream.. but thats far from easy. Us early adopters are limited by the masses. And we have to wait on them. Its a fine line to build a marketing campaign around...

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja

Well.. I've looked at this for a bit and not to be over simplified.. Upload the videos to youtube and almost anything can play them. At a minimum, provide a platform for youtube preview. Its not real time, but its definitely usable

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well.. I've looked at this for a bit and not to be over simplified.. Upload the videos to youtube and almost anything can play them. At a minimum, provide a platform for youtube preview. Its not real time, but its definitely usable
There are a few putting snippets up on Youtube, like the DSO. It is totally unsatisfactory. The sound is awful and you can't load a whole symphony concert to Youtube let alone an opera, some run almost five hours.

The pop culture's systems are hopeless for these productions. We really do need a parallel universe. It seem like the BPO have found you need to start creating one. For one thing the BBC found there is no server fit for the purpose, and they created their won Coyopa servers for their needs. The BPO servers are also designed and built from the ground up for the specific purpose. I really take my hat off to the BPO. They have really placed a benchmark stake in the ground as far as the total quality of their productions is concerned. That is what is required not Youtube!

I wonder if you have had a chance to look at the BPO site I referenced in my PM. That is the type of approach required. With respect, you like a lot of others have not grasped the chasm is quality demanded by the classical community and the pop culture. It is leagues apart.

I'm far from alone in recognizing this problem.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I did dig around on the site you sent me- as pointed out in the PM reply. Yes, the quality of the site and the streams are top notch. They look great on my big screen. The method is far from user friendly and I'm not sure entirely legit? At least its only a trailer, and thats what proxies are for. Point is, it seems to be working and the picture quality is fantastic.

Simple as creating a .strm file with the direct link to the content to be streamed. Interface would take some work. I don't know how to do that exactly, but I plan on learning.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
for the heck of it I ripped one short sampler to test the quality. It was placed in very standard container - mp4
The codec info :
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 960x540 24.99fps
Audio: AAC 48000Hz stereo 253kbps
File size is 36mb for 3.5 minutes of video/audio. Video in my opinion was VERY heavy compressed and artifacts were shown almost as bad as 720p Youtube

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis