Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I could be waaaay of base here, but I thought that air return is wholly passive, there's never a fan on air return. they just work by removing extra air pressure in the room.
I'm with you, and that's why I'm stumped. If the fan is on, wouldn't it still pull air regardless if the ac or furnace is on? Or maybe the fan mode doesnt engage the heat exchanger so that airflow isn't necessary?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I remember Adam used to do this when he was around, but so far I'm at 266 amazon orders for the year. I think this might be my first year to break 300 :eek:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I remember Adam used to do this when he was around, but so far I'm at 266 amazon orders for the year. I think this might be my first year to break 300 :eek:
Yep. Always posted his reviews too. I'm curious as to how many orders I'm up to.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Four miles away I had put my pool noodle knowledge to use. Having just gotten in the water to 'decompress', I turned my thoughts to idle matters like the Rose Hip tea I had put water on the stove for ... but I never made the tea. Getting in the pool was all about ouch, ouch, ouch but getting out was all about go, go, go. It's funny how the little things don't bother you when you think you might have set fire to where you live. I didn't realize I liked this place so much.

A few months ago, the girl had bought a tea kettle thing that goes on the stove and whistles. I hated it then but now I see how that whistle is my friend.

Oh, btw, I was definitely not an atheist covering that 4 mile stretch from the pool to the house. Five miles over the limit and a bit of tail gating got me back in time.

The lesson ... /s

1. I can't let this happen again.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So far Ecobee downstairs working out just fine. Next on hand to install one upstairs (i have two zones).
Not looking particularly to work on furnace wiring in the attic, but no choice.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So far Ecobee downstairs working out just fine. Next on hand to install one upstairs (i have two zones).
Not looking particularly to work on furnace wiring in the attic, but no choice.
You need a stunt double.

It's cooling down pretty fast. Pick your day to go deep based on the weather forecast if possible. If you can't arrange for steady beer delivery, think about getting a small cooler up in that attic with you. All that kind of stuff is more fun with alcohol ...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You need a stunt double.

It's cooling down pretty fast. Pick your day to go deep based on the weather forecast if possible. If you can't arrange for steady beer delivery, think about getting a small cooler up in that attic with you. All that kind of stuff is more fun with alcohol ...
Now this sort of advise I could take to heart (or stomach actually)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You need a stunt double.

Damn, finished taking the sauna in the attic, but 2nd Ecobee installed. One small hell for man, one tiny step toward "smarter" home.
To cool down cheated my Keto diet and ate one Hagen-Dazs ice cream

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Damn, finished taking the sauna in the attic, but 2nd Ecobee installed. One small hell for man, one tiny step toward "smarter" home.
To cool down cheated my Keto diet and ate one Hagen-Dazs ice cream
In the past year, I replaced both my thermostats on my 2-zone systems. I selected Honeywell programmable touch-screen models (Honeywell RTH7600). What is the advantage, if any, for a thermostat like an Ecobee?
How long has that been going on? I just tore into a bag of Ghirardelli chocolate chips. I was going to use them in cookies but ...

I wish we had milk.
We just came back from 5 days in Ocean City. My sister-in-law has a condo there and we stayed there. Ocean City is a overdeveloped tacky nightmare. The condo was on the beachfront – on the 15th floor of a high rise. It was free but I still hated it.

The good side is an ice cream shop/restaurant named Dumser's. They make their own ice cream daily. We both cheated on our 'diets'.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ocean City is a overdeveloped tacky nightmare.
Niagara Falls, Canuk side is like that but I like it. It's as close to Vegas as I'm ever gonna get. Might drag the old man down there in a couple of weeks.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Niagara Falls, Canuk side is like that but I like it. It's as close to Vegas as I'm ever gonna get. Might drag the old man down there in a couple of weeks.
To make matters worse, the weather was overcast and rainy most of the week. But the greatest insult was the condo had a K-cup coffee maker. I went and bought a box of what I thought was 'premium quality' K cups (Gevalia Columbian). But it wasn't very good. The really excellent ice cream didn't make up for that.

Today was my first morning at home. Ahh, good coffee at last :)

Last edited:
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
In the past year, I replaced both my thermostats on my 2-zone systems. I selected Honeywell programmable touch-screen models. What is the advantage, if any, for a thermostat like an Ecobee?
We just came back from 5 days in Ocean City. My sister-in-law has a condo there and we stayed there. Ocean City is a overdeveloped tacky nightmare. The condo was on the beachfront – on the 15th floor of a high rise. It was free but I still hated it.

The good side is an ice cream shop/restaurant named Dumser's. They make their own ice cream daily. We both cheated on our 'diets'.
Remote sensors.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Remote sensors.
I read that, but I don't get it. If you have one HVAC system, how can remote sensors work better than a single centrally located thermostat? The same question goes for 2 or 3 separate systems.

The limiting factor is system's (central heating or cooling machinery plus the distribution system) ability to heat or cool effectively. I don't see how changing from a single thermostat to multiple sensors can have a meaningful effect.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I read that, but I don't get it. If you have one HVAC system, how can remote sensors work better than a single centrally located thermostat? The same question goes for 2 or 3 separate systems.

The limiting factor is system's (central heating or cooling machinery plus the distribution system) ability to heat or cool effectively. I don't see how changing from a single thermostat to multiple sensors can have a meaningful effect.
It allows you to base the temperature on other locations beyond the usual hallway spot. For example, I have mine set so that at night it uses the the sensor in the master bedroom. So if I want it 72 while Im sleeping the system keeps it 72 in the bedroom. Whereas otherwise if I had the bedroom door shut the hallway might be 72, but the bedroom could heat up a few degrees and the system would never know it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How long has that been going on?
Started Keto 3 weeks ago. Doing mostly very true to the diet, except doing fairly slight on the exercising part.
Started doing it after I plateaued after 3 months of intermitting fasting (12-8). Keto helped to move the scale down and feels more energetic now. Also eating tons more veggies daily.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

to Add to dolphin's post, You're assuming that all rooms have doors open. Assume one of the rooms is sun facing, open blinds, and a closed door. I guarantee you, that room would be hotter. having a remote sensor in that room will make thermostat run the fan longer until it reaches nearly same temp in all rooms

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In the past year, I replaced both my thermostats on my 2-zone systems. I selected Honeywell programmable touch-screen models (Honeywell RTH7600). What is the advantage, if any, for a thermostat like an Ecobee?
Some things you may or may not care about: has cloud access (mobile app, web page control etc..), but doesn't require it.
https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002101671-Can-I-set-up-my-ecobee-without-WiFi-
I like how it's highly configurable, but at the same time easy to use and very visual. GUI developers really did a good job. Home automation integration and optional voice control if you want. Ecobee4 has deeper Alexa integration. One example would be if you open one of your windows or doors you could have AC stop not to waste power.
These sensors also include a sort of IR presence detection, so if you not home it could be detected automatically, without the need to pre-program it in advance.
Other features include alerts on high/low temp and/or humidity. HomeIQ allows to better monitor your AC usage and optimize it.
I know I missed few more here:
https://www.ecobee.com/how-we-are-smarter/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis