Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
So this is where the lame and blind people with poor balance post.

The high pressure hose on my power steering rusted through and leaked. I bought some transmission cooler hose that's good to 400 psi plus special clamps and I'm going to run that so I can get the car to a garage to work on it. I might just leave my Eurotrash solution in place but tomorrow AM the $50 real deal replacement line arrives at my local Nappa.

I was going to try it with fuel line because that's what was around but a trip to Nappa got me to quit acting like an assclown and at least use the right line.

I just came in to salt the steaks and let them come up to temp because that's how fat people stay f^%&ing fat.

You're not fat you're big bon... well you're not that either.:oops:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have always found that room or window ACs are a poor solution. They're all too noisy for me. But I don't know the conditions you have.

Is your problem temperature, humidity, or both? A possible alternative is a room or basement dehumidifier. That can keep ground floor or basement in a townhouse from getting moldy, while you keep the upper floors at a somewhat higher and more comfortable temperature. The dehumidifiers I've known to be effective at that are on wheels and are portable. You can keep it if you move. I bought one from Sears more than 10 years ago, but I don't know who sells good ones now. You must be able to hook them up to a floor drain or sump hole.
Both. The good thing is that if I can get the basement cold, it usually stays cold. The issue is that the rest of the house is so leaky and poorly insulated, plus a crappy old HVAC system means that the thing never shuts off and it struggles mightily to keep the house at temp during the summer.........oh who am I kidding it's struggling now. Our thought was that if we put a 12-15,000 BTU A/C in the basement it would run far far less than the HVAC and we'd only really need to keep the bedroom and basement cool. We're already running a window A/C in the bedroom because the HVAC can barely get it below 80 even when set to 68 during hot sunny days.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm no doctor, but my shoulders are f'ed in a couple different ways... When, does it hurt?
Pushing motion, and when I bring my arm across my body. The pain is worse at certain angles. For instance if I touch my opposite hip it's not too bad, but if I bring my arm up and across in a golf swing motion it's a sharp pain that is none too pleasant. Oddly enough, a running motion doesn't hurt much and sometimes not at all.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Both. The good thing is that if I can get the basement cold, it usually stays cold. The issue is that the rest of the house is so leaky and poorly insulated, plus a crappy old HVAC system means that the thing never shuts off and it struggles mightily to keep the house at temp during the summer.........oh who am I kidding it's struggling now. Our thought was that if we put a 12-15,000 BTU A/C in the basement it would run far far less than the HVAC and we'd only really need to keep the bedroom and basement cool. We're already running a window A/C in the bedroom because the HVAC can barely get it below 80 even when set to 68 during hot sunny days.
I'm definitely not a HVAC guy, I can only tell you what has worked for me in the past.

Do you have a single HVAC system in a 3-story townhouse? Where is the air handler? In the basement? That top floor will always be a problem in the summer. Chilled air is denser than heated air. The best solution is a 2-zone HVAC system, but I don't recommend altering what you have – too expensive. Look for a place with a 2-zone system when you move, one system in the basement and the other in the attic.

Is there a crawlspace attic? They are supposed to be ventilated, but many of them are built without enough intake vents under the eaves, or large enough exhaust vents near the top to allow adequate passive ventilation. They can get really hot in the summer. Adding an attic fan can help that. I did that in a previous house I had. There was one bedroom that was always hot in the summer. Extra intake vents under the eaves and the attic fan made a big difference.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm definitely not a HVAC guy, I can only tell you what has worked for me in the past.
I've consulted the HVAC at my school (tech school), he kind of grimaces when he hears about the HVAC system in our rental.

Do you have a single HVAC system in a 3-story townhouse? Where is the air handler? In the basement? That top floor will always be a problem in the summer. Chilled air is denser than heated air. The best solution is a 2-zone HVAC system, but I don't recommend altering what you have – too expensive. Look for a place with a 2-zone system when you move, one system in the basement and the other in the attic.
Yup single system, not to mention no duct fans to help push the air upstairs. We wouldn't be able to change anything anyways in a rental. The next time we move it will (hopefully) be to build somewhere so we can customize a bit. That could be a year away, that could be 5 years away. Hopefully the former.

Is there a crawlspace attic? They are supposed to be ventilated, but many of them are built without enough intake vents under the eaves, or large enough exhaust vents near the top to allow adequate passive ventilation. They can get really hot in the summer. Adding an attic fan can help that. I did that in a previous house I had. There was one bedroom that was always hot in the summer. Extra intake vents under the eaves and the attic fan made a big difference.
There is a crawlspace, but I ain't going up there. We could ask about getting those fans put up there, but with the track record of our property manager/landlord that ain't never going to happen.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I forgot you rent that place. Never mind. Consider it a good education of what to avoid when you do look to buy. A good HVAC system can make or break a place.

When I went into the crawl space to install the attic fan, I owned it (well the mortgage company owned most of it). I was much younger, and it took me all day to get the wiring right, but it made a big difference.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Pushing motion, and when I bring my arm across my body. The pain is worse at certain angles. For instance if I touch my opposite hip it's not too bad, but if I bring my arm up and across in a golf swing motion it's a sharp pain that is none too pleasant. Oddly enough, a running motion doesn't hurt much and sometimes not at all.
If there's no history of injuries to that shoulder, it could be something in the way you lean on that arm. You may have developed a 'bad habit' like resting on the arm pads of cheap office chairs that wreck your elbows. Find a pull up bar and decompress!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
if I bring my arm up and across in a golf swing motion it's a sharp pain that is none too pleasant.
How about a throwing motion, like throwing a baseball? Could it be rotator cuff? Doesn't have to be due to a specific injury. Bone spurs can grow, eventually wearing/cutting the tendons. Surgery can remove the spurs, shorten your collarbone if necessary, and repair the tendons. I've had it twice. Not particularly fun, but it works.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I forgot you rent that place. Never mind. Consider it a good education of what to avoid when you do look to buy. A good HVAC system can make or break a place.

When I went into the crawl space to install the attic fan, I owned it (well the mortgage company owned most of it). I was much younger, and it took me all day to get the wiring right, but it made a big difference.
HVAC and Windows. My Fiance's parents just redid all the windows in their house and it has made a huge difference cut their heating bill over the winter by more than half.

I'll keep that in mind about the attic fan.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If there's no history of injuries to that shoulder, it could be something in the way you lean on that arm. You may have developed a 'bad habit' like resting on the arm pads of cheap office chairs that wreck your elbows. Find a pull up bar and decompress!
I've done that a few times and it doesn't seem to help. I've gone through weeks of complete rest and weeks of stretching and trying to move it and stress test it. Seems to just keep on keepin on.

How about a throwing motion, like throwing a baseball? Could it be rotator cuff? Doesn't have to be due to a specific injury. Bone spurs can grow, eventually wearing/cutting the tendons. Surgery can remove the spurs, shorten your collarbone if necessary, and repair the tendons. I've had it twice. Not particularly fun, but it works.
I'm starting to think its a bone spur. I don't throw with my left so I'm not sure but it could very well be rotator cuff.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
The radiologist speaking here. Get it imaged. Even a regular x ray can reveal a lot like a bone spur impinging on the rotator cuff. Then at least you will know and have some options. Rotator cuffs are best dealt with early. Glenohumeral arthritis best conservatively so the best choice varies with exact problem.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The radiologist speaking here. Get it imaged. Even a regular x ray can reveal a lot like a bone spur impinging on the rotator cuff. Then at least you will know and have some options. Rotator cuffs are best dealt with early. Glenohumeral arthritis best conservatively so the best choice varies with exact problem.
I'm trying to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon, but scheduling is a pain since I'm trying to make it through the final two weeks of the school year without having to take another day off. I'm definitely going to get it looked at though.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Jeez! I hope everybody in this thread feels better! Audioholic's are falling apart!

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm at a training today across the street at the community college so I went over to check on my 4th period who are typically good kids, but with a 1st grade level of behavior and self control. Sure enough, I walk in and they're supposed to be taking a test. They're all talking, admittedly about anything and everything except the test, on their phones etc. The sub isn't saying anything, class had just started so he might have but I doubt it. So I walk in, ream them out, and walk back out.

Who knows if it'll last for the rest of the period, but at least they were quiet for a couple minutes :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm at a training today across the street at the community college so I went over to check on my 4th period who are typically good kids, but with a 1st grade level of behavior and self control. Sure enough, I walk in and they're supposed to be taking a test. They're all talking, admittedly about anything and everything except the test, on their phones etc. The sub isn't saying anything, class had just started so he might have but I doubt it. So I walk in, ream them out, and walk back out.

Who knows if it'll last for the rest of the period, but at least they were quiet for a couple minutes :D
At times you must feel like this

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
HVAC and Windows. My Fiance's parents just redid all the windows in their house and it has made a huge difference cut their heating bill over the winter by more than half.

I'll keep that in mind about the attic fan.
I only mentioned it because an attic fan is much cheaper than all new windows or a new HVAC.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Just to be clear (and use the right jargon), this is a soffit vent to allow more air into an attic. I added 6 of those on my old house. Earlier, I called them eave vents.

And this is an exhaust vent. My old house already had two of these, and I mounted an attic fan behind one of these, and avoided having to instal an attic fan through the roof. You might not have that option with a townhouse.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
....and at first I thought the basket was stupid.....

Dear God man. That really $uck$. I have been working my way up in miles on the road. Did my first Mtn. bike ride this past weekend at our BikeFest that has an uphill race and a Leadville 100 qualifier. I did do either of the races.

I did pull the trigger on the new SRAM eTap wireless electronic shifing for my road bike. Crazy cool stuff. Now I need to sell a few things to cover it. It was quite a chuck of change but my Campy stuff is going on 12+ years and even though it is still going strong it was time for an upgrade.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Dear God man. That really $uck$. I have been working my way up in miles on the road. Did my first Mtn. bike ride this past weekend at our BikeFest that has an uphill race and a Leadville 100 qualifier. I did do either of the races.

I did pull the trigger on the new SRAM eTap wireless electronic shifing for my road bike. Crazy cool stuff. Now I need to sell a few things to cover it. It was quite a chuck of change but my Campy stuff is going on 12+ years and even though it is still going strong it was time for an upgrade.
I still us Ultegra Mechanical, my wife has Dura Ace but she has a better spouse than I do....

I want to go electronic but I am a die-hard Shimano guy. I have X1 on my MTB and have went through 4 rear derailleurs. I have never had an issue with my XTR derails or our road groups. I see SRAM just released the Eagle line of 1x12...crazy....

Heck, I have been off the bike for over a month, I would be happy if I could just go ride 1 mile. This was suppose to be the year where I was great....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis