E

ewemule

Enthusiast
Starting another life chapter. From stuff to zero in months.
Decided to get rid of the old CRT. :eek:
43" Insignia Fire TV
Thought my JBL extreme II would be a nice sound. No. Although it rocks !!
Got a Polk Audio 2.1 which is quite nice but not what I would like to keep. My other choice was a JBL 3.1
I have decided on Onkyo TX-NR 696 receiver to start me off. It should be okay with the 2.1 until I come up with more $.
Looking into a nice sub. Still learning about what I actually need VS just plain want.
SVS PB 1000 is about the zone I'm comfortable with. Some others... HSU, Velodyne, (bit more than I really want to spend.), Acoustic Audio. I know there are a lot more.
Then add some Stereo, Center, Surround. As far as music vs movies, I like both to bump and rumble respectively.
Thanking you all for any tips and advice in advance.
Marty

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Starting another life chapter. From stuff to zero in months.
Decided to get rid of the old CRT. :eek:
43" Insignia Fire TV
Thought my JBL extreme II would be a nice sound. No. Although it rocks !!
Got a Polk Audio 2.1 which is quite nice but not what I would like to keep. My other choice was a JBL 3.1
I have decided on Onkyo TX-NR 696 receiver to start me off. It should be okay with the 2.1 until I come up with more $.
Looking into a nice sub. Still learning about what I actually need VS just plain want.
SVS PB 1000 is about the zone I'm comfortable with. Some others... HSU, Velodyne, (bit more than I really want to spend.), Acoustic Audio. I know there are a lot more.
Then add some Stereo, Center, Surround. As far as music vs movies, I like both to bump and rumble respectively.
Marty
Marty...welcome to AH!

After reading your post, aside from an upgrade of some sort. I get that you like music and movies, what are you trying to accomplish?

The Onkyo AVR...no preouts to allow aux amps in the future, but this should suffice as the center of the system.

Sub...SVS is good brand, idk if this the right sub for the size of the room, etc, but it's not a bad place to start for sure.

Speakers...this is where the system really takes shape and where your largest investment is likely to be, but I don't have much of a clue what you are trying to do here.

Room size and a clear direction of what you're trying to do should generate some good responses from the forum.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Marty
I think you have done the right thing asking for tips on a good forum and do your research before rushing to purchase based on impulse and internet hearsay.

May be the first thing to do is to figure out how much "power" you need. That would mainly depend on your seating distance, the sensitivity of the speakers you are considering and how loud (in dB/decibel)do you listen to music and movies. I don't know if you know how to measure loudness in dB, if not just do a search.. Basically you need about 10 dB +/- more to perceive twice as loud, and for every 3 dB increase, all else being equal, you need double the power output from the amplifier driving the speaker.

If you don't know how to calculate, you can use a good online calculator.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis