Ready to install a atmos system

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Sup friends, I have a Vizio S4251w-b4 soundbar with rear wirless speakers that has served me well. I had speaker wire run in my walls in my basment living room. I want to upgrade my sound. It is time to ditch my soundbar.I watch 4k movies, netflix, and youtubetv. Any recommendations for atmos speakers or a good next level set that is a good upgrade from my 6 year old soundbar? I don't need the best high end stuff. I usually shop in the middle of the curve. Thanks and I will be learning a lot over the next couple weeks. Will start looking through this website now.
Fyi: My space is wired for a atmos 5.1.2.

Last edited:
langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
First you need a receiver

Id recomend marrantz or Yamaha

As for speakers, that all depends on budget.

Theoretically you dont have to use speakers dubbed "atmos" but klipsch is popular amongst a vast majority.

Svs prime also very good.

But if all u have is a sound bar now , you might look into klipsch 7.2 kit , has woofer towers surrounds and receiver in it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You didn’t mention a budget so that information may help others here make suggestions on great equipment. There are two great online stores that sell factory authorized new, deeply discounted and refurbished equipment

Accessories for less

Safe and sound

Good luck and have fun!

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I would say my budget is $1500 - $2K. Thanks

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
Check that link. Whole setup

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Thanks Lang, So compared to my trusty soundbar this woudl be a noticeable upgrade in sound for movies and such?

langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
Huuuge... like going from a prius to a corvette

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Awesome! Thank for the info. Will keep researching this type of set and pick one. Will report back.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
langbecker

langbecker

Audioholic Intern
How large of a space are we dealing with here? Are there any constraints you have? Space, size, looks, etc? How many atmos speakers are you looking for?

I'd suggest looking at this: https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-5-1-4-dolby-atmos-home-theater-speaker-system/ as a baseline for your system. If you have a larger space I'd suggest dropping the atmos speakers and getting a larger sub.

Also, check this section here for some ideas on what to look for.
He needs a receiver too. Thats a decent system but if budget is 2k high end , might be hard to get a suitable avr for 400

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
He needs a receiver too. Thats a decent system but if budget is 2k high end , might be hard to get a suitable avr for 400
He could easily forgo the atmos speakers and just focus on 5.1 for now. Honestly need more info on his space and desires to advise much further.

This receiver is a hell of a bargain right now as well.

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Hey NIN, My space is about 12 feet by 24 feet. Its a room in my basement that I am going to use for a theater space. The 12 ft side is where I sit so I maybe 8-10 feet from the tv which is a 65 inch 1080P. Prob going to upgrade that to 4k as well. Does that help? I have the space wired for 5.1.2 but would be open to other ideas like Lang suggested.

And thanks for the links, I am checking them out now. I see a post about how $2500 is the sweet spot for a system...haha dang already looking like I need to spend another 500

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hey NIN, My space is about 12 feet by 24 feet. Its a room in my basement that I am going to use for a theater space. The 12 ft side is where I sit so I maybe 8-10 feet from the tv which is a 65 inch 1080P. Prob going to upgrade that to 4k as well. Does that help? I have the space wired for 5.1.2 but would be open to other ideas like Lang suggested.

And thanks for the links, I am checking them out now. I see a post about how $2500 is the sweet spot for a system...haha dang already looking like I need to spend another 500
How high are your ceilings? Is the room open to other rooms at all? The sub will "see" all the space open to it, so with 8' ceilings we're talking about ~2400 cubic feet. With that kind of space I'd recommend going for 5.1 right now with a larger sub and adding atmos speakers later.

Edit: Don't worry, we can happily help you spend more than your budget! We're good at that here. LOL Also, for what it's worth, most Klipsch subs, especially the lower end ones are not great subs for the money. You're better off going with something from HSU to get the best bang for your buck.

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Yes my ceilings are about 8 feet. There is a couple openings on each end but they go to a stair case and a mechanical room that both are closed off to other areas. When you say larger sub what size would you consider large? One of the guides from the link is saying the RSL Speedwoofer 10s is good, sounds like that is a 10 inch size.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yes my ceilings are about 8 feet. There is a couple openings on each end but they go to a stair case and a mechanical room that both are closed off to other areas. When you say larger sub what size would you consider large? One of the guides from the link is saying the RSL Speedwoofer 10s is good, sounds like that is a 10 inch size.
I think you'd be better served by at least a 12" in that size room.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
NIN, RSL is shutdown until the Covid situation improves. In the meantime I can look for a AVR. The link you sent me sold out. If you see another hot deal let me know.

Koler69

Koler69

Enthusiast
Decided to go with the SVS Prime Surround System and VTF-2 MK5 Sub. Got a Denon 3500H open box from safe and sound. So came in around $2500 tax and everything.
Thanks for the help everyone and will post a update once it is all installed.
PS: The people answering phones at HSU and SVS were very helpful. Corey at SVS even said I could call him with any questions personally..thats some cust service!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis