Ready to buy Velodyne DD-15

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Im ready to bite the bullet and splurge on the DD-15 :D
I currently have the CT100e and have been happy with the performance, but have been watching the DD series for a while and are now able to afford and justify the upgrade.

I demoed a number of subs including the DD-15 but could'nt demo any of the other DD subs as they only had the DD-15 in stock for demo.

I'm just wondering if the DD-10 or DD-12 have more or less of the 'slam' factor compared to the DD-15

cheers :)

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I use the DD15 and am very happy with it. When I talked to Velodyne, the rep. recommended going with the either the DD15 or the DD18, as he felt that both were substantially better than their DD10 or 12. Of course, it could have just been a sales pitch, however the same person also told me the DD 18 would probably be too big for my application.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the reply, I've pretty much decided on the DD-15(added bonus of being THX Ultra2 certfied :cool: ).
Have you heard any distortion with the volume at full? or does the servo and limiting features control this beast well enough to not loose controll at full throttle?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Have you heard any distortion with the volume at full? or does the servo and limiting features control this beast well enough to not loose controll at full throttle?
The subs will not distort but you can still bottom them out.

You can't overdrive these subs no matter how much you try as they have protection circuits etc. Have a look at this post for more info:-
Yes you can still bottom them out.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Ok when I listened to the DD-15 I cranked it right up. I heard what I thaught was bottoming out which was made worse by selecting the movie mode instead of the Jazz/classical mode(hence turning down the servo feedback).

Was what I heard what I heard damaging the sub or is it the effects of the gain/compression circuit protecting the sub?

cheers:)

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Also how fast/quiet is the auto on when it receives a signal?

I have the Velodyne CT100e and when it wakes up with a bass note it comes in instantaniously missing any part of the note(no lag or cutting in half way through the note) its as if its always on, and it does this without any pop or click.

Is this the same with the DD-15 or is there a delay or pop/click where it misses a portion of the incoming signal as this would be distracting and annoying? I had the Wharfedale Topaz 12 for a week and couldnt handle its lag and pop at auto on, not to mention the fact it was a pretty poor porformer all round.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Was what I heard what I heard damaging the sub or is it the effects of the gain/compression circuit protecting the sub?
It will sound like any other driver when it bottoms out. When I bottomed out my velodyne I had to have it set at a ridiculous level much louder then I would have it at normally.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
OK, I've done it. Just ordered the DD-15 in black :D :D

Now the hard part - waiting for it to arrive :(

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Privateer said:
It will sound like any other driver when it bottoms out. When I bottomed out my velodyne I had to have it set at a ridiculous level much louder then I would have it at normally.
Was it a DD series Velodyne??

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Retail AU$5,399.
I paid AU$4,200 at an Authorised Dealer

I think I did well!

cheers :D

Last edited:
MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Here are some of the differences

Don’t be mistaken into thinking the Velodyne Digital Drive series are repackaged HGS subwoofers with added processing, as impressive as that would be in itself. The cabinet volume is significantly increased and the purported maximum driver travel is one-quarter of an inch greater. Combined with an improved switching amplifier and a new controller board, this generates 2.5dB added output for the DD-10 and DD-12, and around 4dB more for the 15- and 18-inch models. The cabinet volume increases are due to a slightly increased cabinet size, slightly thinner, but with fully braced walls and a more forward driver mounting configuration
See here for full review.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis