Re: Cambridge Audio CXR 120

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about buying this receiver, I have a friend that works at Cambridge and I can get this for $750 with full warranty. But I have never heard any of the Cambridge products.
I currently have a Pioneer Sc 81 and recently bought a pair of Q acoustic speakers(floor standing). I will use this receiver for music only.

Thanks a lot

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
I have been told I would get a better sound using the Cambridge, like I said I've never heard
Cambridge so that's why I was wanting opinions , whether it would be a major upgrade from the Pioneer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say it's lateral. Hopefully neither color the sound except when you utilize their respective flavors of dsp.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Lovin'... doesn't look like you get anything out of that which you don't already have.

Do I read correctly that this is a music only rig? Are you hooking up speakers to play with multi-channel audio like 5-channel SACD's. for example?

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
Yes, I use it for 5.1 for sacd/dvd-a /blu-ray. I have my tv hooked up to my blu ray (Pioneer 85fd),
mainly for the menus on certain dvd /blu-ray titles. There's really nothing wrong with the Pioneer
receiver, it's been a great receiver, I was just looking for some kind of upgrade. But it looks like
most of the current receivers are really close to what my Pioneer has.
Thanks for your feedback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have the bluray hooked up to your avr?

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
Yes it is hooked up to my receiver, my blu ray player has 2 hdmi outs, one for the TV and the other for
the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes it is hooked up to my receiver, my blu ray player has 2 hdmi outs, one for the TV and the other for
the receiver.
Was just puzzled by the comment about the connection to the tv for gui, you can't get that thru the avr's hdmi out to the tv?

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
What would be the reason for connecting the avr's hdmi to the tv ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about buying this receiver, I have a friend that works at Cambridge and I can get this for $750 with full warranty. But I have never heard any of the Cambridge products.
I currently have a Pioneer Sc 81 and recently bought a pair of Q acoustic speakers(floor standing). I will use this receiver for music only.

Thanks a lot
That's not an upgrade at all. If you really want to upgrade, for $750 you can probably still get an AVR-X4400H brand new with warranty and the gain over the CXR120 includes but not limited to the following:

- Two years more up to date
- 9.2 channel vs 7.2, and up to 11.2 processing capability.
- Additional sound processing such as Atmos, Auro 3D
- More output power for 2 channel and 7 channel driven, into 8, 4 ohms
- eARC
- More HDMI inputs

If you only need 7.2, you can get the AVR-X3400H for $599 on Amazon.com, or less elsewhere. Even the X3400H has much better output power and lower distortions than the CXR120 based on bench tests by Soundandvision.com

All these doesn't matter if you don't really have need to upgrade. $750 for a 2015 model AVR is not a good idea.

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
I think I am going the separate route. I don't care for all
these adds on the current avr's, Atmos , Auro 3d (whatever that is).
I want a basic processor and amp. These amps remind me of the
new cars, to much stuff you just don't need.
Thanks for everyone's feedback !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well you don't need to use features you don't want to....and some won't even be apparent options if you're not set up for it. If you want to pay for separates you will get same complexity in new pre-pros but at a higher price....

T

txguitar

Audiophyte
You're right about not having to use all the features. I was looking for a major upgrade from my
Pioneer, I guess in order to do that I'd have to buy a Rotel or a Anthem. I'd really like to have a Rotel
but man they are expensive and I don't personally don't know anyone that has owned a Rotel to
give me their opinions, maybe someone on the forum can speak up ! I guess I could bite the bullet
and buy a Rotel or a Anthem. Opinions, please !!!!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis