P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

As they both have RCA connector, can we use two sets of Component Video to replace 6 RCA for Multi-channel Audio?

If the cable is good enough for full Video bandwidth, it should be enough for audio.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Additional question.
Or what about 3 sets of RCA's?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Pam, you are correct. &nbsp;If the video cable is a true 75ohm shielded coax, it should do just fine with audio. &nbsp;However standard twister pair RCA, unshielded audio cables is NOT advised for high bandwidth video (especially HDTV)!</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Am I right to assume that most reputable suppliers would have '75 ohm shielded coax'?

What about usage of twisted Coax vs twisted pair? Which one is best?</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Also can the shielded microphone cable (hopefully twisted for less interferencfe) be used for component video connections?</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Pierre;
  If it were me I would use the microphone cable for the audio band interconnect cable as I outlined in my article &quot;Bulletproofing your system from Interference&quot;, and the 75 ohm coax for my video connections. I would not use the microphone cable for video connections. Microphone cable is not designed for high frequency (video) usage. I use Belden 8217, if I remember correctly, for video band.
              d.b.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Well let me confuse things up a bit here. I just rearranged and cleaned up my equipment and just for the heck of it I tried using some Monster component cables that I had for the 6 channel audio. I put on Steely Dan Gaucho SACD and something sounded different right away. Confused I put back the monster audio cables that had on before and the difference was noticeable right away. On the first track you hear tapping on the wood and with the component cables you could not notice the echo, when I used the audio cables it was very distinct. Hmmm, now I don't know what to attribute this to, the audio cables are old and they were about $45 dollars for a 1-ft pair. They are not a coax cable but rather two separate strands covered with a shield. Maybe that is why they sound better. I don't know. I just know the component cables did not sound as good. Can someone shed any light on this. The audio cables are short only 1 ft and the component cables are 3 ft. Both are monster, but the audio cables are 12 years old. Now I am confused.</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Sounds like your Monster Cable is not performing as it should. Try making up some of the Belden Coax I recommended in a previous post.
                d.b.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis