RBH Sound TK-5CT Floorstanding Speaker Review

Matt34

Matt34

I recently took advantage of the "secret" upgrade from EMP EP30T's to RBH TK5's at the Audioholics Store. I figured, "What the heck? I can always sell them if I don't like them." I really don't need them, but for under $1K to get a RBH system, I might as well give them a shot.

I know I'm gonna hate myself later for saying this and I'd hate to be thrown into the "fanboy" status with Gene on RBH bandwagon, but these speakers really sound great. And it makes me a little sick to my stomach to say that Tom was "right on" with his review (pardon me, I feel my dinner starting to come up on me right now).

The finish is definetly not the best. The vinyl rosewood finish is kinda cheezy but not bad. For the most part the piano black ends make up for this. And I do wish they used better quality binding posts or better yet, two sets for bi-amping. But it's not all bad in the looks department. The bookshelves and the center channel are all rear ported so they do limit placement and the available wall brackets.

To be honest, I was hoping these were just "OK" speakers so they'd end up going in the living room or becoming "spares". But now I'm thinking about placing them in my bedroom with Losewife's setup. And we really have no room for towers in there. And if I put them in the living room that means I need to buy another receiver or wire another zone. :mad:

I have no plans on kicking my Cantons to the curb in my theater, but I'd definitely think about moving up to the higher end Signature Series (like the T's) in the future.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who took advantage of this deal. I'd be curious to hear from more people on their experiences. Especially from those of you that these aren't your first speakers.
Thanks for your thoughts man, these are on my list to look at for towers under $1500. Sent you a PM on some T-2 I found for sale.;)

Last edited:
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I know I'm gonna hate myself later for saying this and I'd hate to be thrown into the "fanboy" status with Gene on RBH bandwagon, but these speakers really sound great. And it makes me a little sick to my stomach to say that Tom was "right on" with his review (pardon me, I feel my dinner starting to come up on me right now).
This is almost as good as my wife telling me I'm right. And just about as frequent :D

C

cutter

Audioholic
great little towers!

I also took advantage of the RBH upgrade, without really needing any speakers. Actually, I have more speakers than I know what to do with at the moment, but I couldn't pass up this deal! I also have the EMP version of the towers-- so I did a little side to side comparison. I THINK maybe, possibly, with my head tilted just right and the wind out of the west that I could hear a difference between the two towers, but I think in a blind test it would be difficult to tell the difference. Overall, these are great full range towers, and I like them better than my Axiom m80's, and my Aperion power towers. They aren't as nice as my RBH 1044's, but there is a huge price jump between them. This deal, for this price-- makes these speakers unbeatable! Now, I just have to figure out what to do with them! I'm going to give some to my parents and sister, but I have to figure out which ones to part with, first.

From what we understand, RBH TK is being discontinued, however the same engineers that made that great speaker are bringing to market some very interesting products for EMP...

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
They are not bad speakers but I am disappointed in somewhat lack luster bass extension on a variety of 2 channel audio.

Matt34

Matt34

They are not bad speakers but I am disappointed in somewhat lack luster bass extension on a variety of 2 channel audio.
The RBH TK5? I think Tom measured 32hz in-room, I'd say that's pretty good for a sub $1k floorstander.

B

bans25

Audiophyte
If anyone knows where I can get one rosewood TK‑5C I may be interested!

Also is there any wall mounts that work with the TK‑5Cs?

So far I have been impressed with the sound on this $900 package !

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
From what we understand, RBH TK is being discontinued, however the same engineers that made that great speaker are bringing to market some very interesting products for EMP...
WHAAT?! Say it ain't so!

What are they planning to bring to the market that will be SUPERIOR to the TK series as well as cheaper?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
They will still be available, they just won't have the RBH name. You should still be able to get the F300T with the Destination Audio name or the EF30T from EMPTek.

As for what's going to replace it in the RBH line????

D

DFCall

Audiophyte
RBH tower speakers for corner entertainment center

Thank you for the review, and posts of the RBH TK-5CT. I have a family room with a corner entertainment center, as I think many do. The space on the sides of the cabinet is too narrow for subs, and when I place the subs behind the cabinet it’s OK for movies, but seems muffled and not engaging to the music. On some bass passages the cabinet resonates, which is fine for movies, but is a show stopper for music. Because, the speakers have to set on the sides of the cabinet I have not been able find speakers that could provide decent soundstage and imaging.
I found a pair of the RBH-TK-5CTs on eBay. I am familiar with the RBH speakers, but not the TK line. After reading the review and posts I went ahead and bought the TK-5CTs. Yes, the finish is cheesy up close; however the speakers look nice unless you are examining them closely, and they have a good WF.
For the first time I am getting a great sound stake, imaging, and harmonious bass out of this corner. If you have a corner entertainment center that is a real challenge for music, look at the RGH tower speakers.

S

sheedoe

Audiophyte
I bought the Tk series speakers based on Tom's review. I love the TK-5CT. I admire Tom for comparing these speakers to almost every other speakers he reviews, even the ones that are 5x its price. It gives me a prospective of where my speakers stand. I would love for Tom to to do a review of the Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. They have been highly rated in many pro reviews. And since its in the price category of the TKs, it'd be a great comparison. Tom are you listening?? ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis